Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Canada
Any Saskatoon Folk on here?
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Any Saskatoon...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 9:42pm
Subject: Re: Any Saskatoon Folk on here?

Yes, one of the artist/songwriters I produce, Peter MacDougal resides in PEI, pretty far to the "right coast" as we'd say here. He DROVE all the way down from PEI to Nashville, TN, to work with me. THAT'S dedication. Liked my coffee, too. :>D
I'm partial to a really good Sidamo, actually Ethiopian coffees in general, and the one I roasted (unlike you, I'm an amateur) was the forthright Korate, chock full of fruit, especially blueberry. Blew his mind!

Edit: was fresh out of Idido Misty Valley. Not sure you've had that one, but it is amazing. Especially in the hands of a pro roaster.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
espressobsessed
espressobsessed
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco Strada & GB5
Grinder: LM Vulcano, Anfim, Ditting
Vac Pot: Hario Deco
Drip: Metal filter pourover, FP &...
Roaster: Ambex ym-5 with Drumroaster...
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 10:18pm

kayes Said:

Museo's coffee is way to sour for my taste

Posted March 6, 2013 link

Some folks would refer to our single origin as being fruit (stone fruit, berry, etc) and citrus-forward. (edit: I think this is what you mean by "sour.") What third wave roasters are trying to do with coffee like this is to allow more of the farmer's work to come through in the coffee - what we call origin notes instead of roast-notes. If you look at the Aromas side of the cupping wheel, your origin notes are the top side of the wheel, and the roast notes are the bottom side.  We specifically avoid buying coffees with defects or vegetal/herbaceous taste.  We roast to optimize sweetness and origin notes, and avoid roast-notes.  I hope this helps make it a little clearer what we're trying to do.

Click Here (www.coffeebooks.com)

Also - as far as roasters regularly stocking coffee scoring above 90/100 on the cupping scale, the only place in the province other than Museo is 33 and 1/3 Roasters out of Regina.  Eric's done more for the Regina scene than anyone I can think of in recent memory, and he's really the only other roaster who's origin-focused in SK.

Most of the major national roasters from the US and Canada don't do much above the high 80s these days.  I think Cafe Noir is stocking some Phil and Sebastian and 15 Kilo single origin coffees around the 90 mark, and their espresso tends to be more fruit-forward like ours.  Transcend from Edm has really nice origin, but I believe Dallyn of Underground is just doing their espresso (which is also more roast-forward akin to Intelly).

Also as far as pourover goes, the lack of consumer interest in Saskatoon is really what's holding it back from becoming a craze.  We've offered it on our menu since we opened in 2007 (we were solely manual pour-over for the first year) and switched to brew and hold French Press as our main brewing method a la Stumptown.  It just works for a wider range of folks - it provides so much more body without sacrificing flavour from paper filtration and is really the closest brew method to cupping.  Collective is the only other place I know of that does pourover as a regular feature.

blog: espressolab.ca
work: museocoffee.com

owner/barista at Museo Coffee
Saskatoon SK Canada
espressobsessed
espressobsessed

Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 10:37pm

IMAWriter Said:

Yes, one of the artist/songwriters I produce, Peter MacDougal resides in PEI, pretty far to the "right coast" as we'd say here. He DROVE all the way down from PEI to Nashville, TN, to work with me. THAT'S dedication. Liked my coffee, too. :>D
I'm partial to a really good Sidamo, actually Ethiopian coffees in general, and the one I roasted (unlike you, I'm an amateur) was the forthright Korate, chock full of fruit, especially blueberry. Blew his mind!

Edit: was fresh out of Idido Misty Valley. Not sure you've had that one, but it is amazing. Especially in the hands of a pro roaster.

Posted May 30, 2013 link

Yeah, I have about 220lbs of Idido green in stock right now!  We carried Novo until about 2009 and to this day Abeba, Biloya and Aricha are our gold standards for naturals, and our Idido is from Novo's green sister spinoff company, Ninetyplus, and shows just a touch of caramel amid apricot, orange, strawberry. It's just unreal. I go through serious withdrawal when we don't have any Yirg naturals or any ultra-clean Sumatran wet-hulled coffees in.  LOVE IT.  Having a gas fired drum roaster does make a big difference in managing water content/moisture loss in roasting compared to an electric or air roaster.  You can change the batch size to alter the conductive and convective heat dynamics. I found with electric roasters the moisture loss was controlled by batch size and you don't have the ability to alter or control it in different ways during different phases of the roast.  If you ever get a chance to score one of Diedrichs or Ambex's baby roasters... :)

Saskatoon SK Canada
espressobsessed
espressobsessed

Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 10:38pm

PPS: PEI to Nashville - that's like 3000km!!  I hope you sent him home with some coffee :)

Saskatoon SK Canada
yolacacero
yolacacero

Posted Thu Jun 20, 2013, 5:18am

Hi, newbie here. I'm from the Philippines and hopefully, will be in Canada by the end of the year. Prince Albert to be exact. I will be working in Tim's.  I'm not proud of it but it's the only way for me to get to Canada. So I'll be a home barista for the mean time for sure. Is Saskatoon near Prince Albert? I'm a fan of light roasts so I  will definitely try museo's. :)
 View Profile Link to this post
Pryz

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi &...
Grinder: Rocky & I need a new one
Posted Mon Jul 22, 2013, 8:44pm

Also in Saskatoon.  Must agree with previous posters - I really only get coffee outside of my house from Museo and Collective Coffee. Used to frequent Cafe Sola. Not so much any more. Live the Broadway location and coffee at Museo. Collective is usually a little more convenient from where I live.
ddgrunau
ddgrunau

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Jan 20, 2014, 1:18pm

Saskatoon really is a growing scene. It's exciting to see more and more roasters making it into our fine city.

I do work at City Perks, and I can say that around a year ago we changed dramatically. We use 49th Parallel for espresso, and batch brewing. We also feature press with the Espro press, and Kalita pour over. With the exception of one coffee we bring in from 49th, all our coffees are SO. We also rotate a few guest roasters as well. In the past we've had Matchstick, Pilot Coffee (who recently won roaster of the year), Bows X Arrows, Social Coffee to name a few.

What's great is that Bows X Arrow is now in the city at a new cafe, The Local Coffee Bar, only time will tell if they brew at top quality, but at least the product is a good start. On top of them, and 49th, Jimmy already mentioned Transcend being served at the Underground, Phil and Sebastians at Cafe Noir, and Intelly over at Collective. Another new cafe, Citizen Cafe is serving Social Coffee Roaster's Tea but for some reason isn't using them for coffee, which is odd.

I generally avoid any place that can't answer one simple question, "When was your coffee roasted?" - The Roastery usually has a hard time answering and there overly charred beans have been sitting in glass for way to long. I have been back in a long long time.

dripdripdrop

Posted Sun May 25, 2014, 11:04pm

Just want to say City Perks is awesome all around - great coffee and great baking selection especially for gluten free!   Can't believe how much better the coffee scene has improved in Saskatoon.

If any Saskatoonians are needing a home machine I have to sell off my Rancilio Silvia and Rocky grinder… =(   Send me a message!
dannyzee

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic, Rancilio...
Grinder: Baratza 685 Virtuoso...
Posted Thu Jun 19, 2014, 8:48pm

This is a pretty old post, so you may not see it, not from Saskatoon, but Estevan. You might not feel you have many choices, but we need to drive 2 hours, (to Regina, or Minot) just to get beans. Fairly new to the home espresso game, but have 2 machines already. (So, seem to be bitten by the bug)
Dave_E

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini
Grinder: Compak k3
Posted Thu Aug 21, 2014, 9:13pm

Wow this is an old post.  I am moving to Sask from Toronto by way of Edmonton to work at the Uni.  All the other profs there are hooked on Tims and it was actually a stop on my tour of the campus.  I advised them that when I bring my gear in, they will all but stop going to Tims.  Also,  I must admit I am really upset to see that Transcend is providing beans to Sask.  They are actually awful but sell themselves as premium.

Glad to see that there are some decent roasters in town.  I will be needing them or continue getting from Edmonton since I will need to return frequently.  Not interested in your Rocky but if I get my hands on a Compak k10, then my mission is complete.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Any Saskatoon...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.268032073975)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+