Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Canada
Calgary home barista/coffeegeek meet
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Calgary home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ddubick

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Appia 1Gr
Grinder: OE Pharos, Macap M5, Nuova...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 3:52pm
Subject: Re: Barista Training in Calgary? (or home barista/coffeegeek meet)

It might be a long shot but I'll see what I can do about a P&S barista.  My wife and I know their office administrator and my wife actually worked with Phil's mom and then worked at the Farmer's market where P&S started so she knows them quite well.  Who knows...

I do like the idea of a potluck.  My wife could break out the smoker and make her awesome pulled pork sandwiches.

The only problem I see with everyone bringing a small amount of their own coffee would be dialing in the grinder for each coffee (unless everyone brought their own grinders already dialed in).
 View Profile Link to this post
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Thu Sep 26, 2013, 4:31pm

ddubick Said:

It might be a long shot but I'll see what I can do about a P&S barista.

Posted September 26, 2013 link

That would be pretty awesome if you could pull that off. Small world and all that. Just out of curiosity, do you know Peter from Cappuccino King?

ddubick Said:

The only problem I see with everyone bringing a small amount of their own coffee would be dialing in the grinder for each coffee (unless everyone brought their own grinders already dialed in).

Posted September 26, 2013 link

Well, I like that idea, but I admit that I would be a little hesitant to bring my own Mazzer, only because its not a cheap grinder and it's quite heavy to carry around. Not to mention that I'm almost at the
end of my own batch and it needs to be dialed in anyway. Dialing it in for a new blend is a little bit of a pain. I wish Mazzer had put in a worm gear and a knob, like the La Cimbali Junior/Max grinders.
My main motivation for bringing in my Mazzer would be to trade it in for someone elses grinder. :-)

I think it would be best left up to the discretion of the attendee whether or not to bring their own grinder. I think it would be kinda neat to experiment with different grinders though.

Perhaps dialing in a grinder would be a good educational experience for everyone. Usually I find that its easier and faster to dial in a grinder if it's already been dialed in for another blend previously. I can
usually get it right within about 2-4 shots anyway if I already had it dialed in for another coffee. I only throw a shot in the sink if it's completely whacked out.

Your four grinders would be enough for everyone I think, but it certainly doesn't hurt to give everyone a taste of something different.

Just a thought...

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
BV_Climber
BV_Climber

Espresso: QM. Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Virtuoso and Essato Scale
Roaster: Quest M3
Posted Fri Sep 27, 2013, 7:44am

Thanks for all of the info and feedback. A potluck sounds pretty neat as well. In terms of availability I am mostly MIA with work until November, as I'm being pulled in on weekends until we wrap up this project. I will be in Hawaii for a week at the end of October and will see if I can bring some beans back! My friend who lent me the Lelit I am using has taken some barista training and may be interested in attending a function like this. When I know more I will circle back. Oh, and I can also bring my grinder if needed, I can't speak for the machine as it's not mine, or my decision to make.

I am getting a great vibe from this community and group, and am quite excited about it!

Chris

Edited for clarity.
ddubick

Posted Sun Sep 29, 2013, 12:12am

I don't 'know' Peter other than shopping in his wonderful store and talking to him once or twice.
qualin
qualin

Posted Sun Nov 17, 2013, 1:33am

Perhaps now that we're almost near the tail end of November, perhaps we should make some inroads into meeting up?

What would work for everyone? December 7th?

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
benjaminput

Expertise: Professional

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 12:34pm

Hi Everyone,
Seeing how this is my first post on CG, I should probably introduce myself. My name is Ben Put. I work at Phil & Sebastian as a Barista, Trainer, and Espresso Roaster. I've lurked on Coffeegeek for years and years, but never posted.

I saw that you would like to have a P&S barista at your meet up and I would love to attend if you'll have me. Let me know if you would like anything specific from me!

Alberta has had a great barista community for years and I would love to see it continue to develop and grow--especially amongst home baristas.
ddubick

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 1:23pm

benjaminput Said:

Hi Everyone,
Seeing how this is my first post on CG, I should probably introduce myself. My name is Ben Put. I work at Phil & Sebastian as a Barista, Trainer, and Espresso Roaster. I've lurked on Coffeegeek for years and years, but never posted.

I saw that you would like to have a P&S barista at your meet up and I would love to attend if you'll have me. Let me know if you would like anything specific from me!

Alberta has had a great barista community for years and I would love to see it continue to develop and grow--especially amongst home baristas.

Posted November 21, 2013 link

That would be awesome Ben!  Thank you so much.

Sorry I haven't kept up on this thread for a while, been kinda busy.

Dec 7th would probably work for us.  Just have to clean up the house.
qualin
qualin

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 7:41pm

benjaminput Said:

I work at Phil & Sebastian as a Barista, Trainer, and Espresso Roaster.

Wow! Well, I look forward to seeing you then, if you can make it out! :-) I'm sure we'd all have lots of questions to ask. I've probably pulled as many shots in a year as a pro barista does in a week.

Congrats on your first post. I'll feel quite humbled in your presence.  :-)

qualin
qualin

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 7:42pm

ddubick Said:

Dec 7th would probably work for us.  Just have to clean up the house.

I hope that's not too soon.. I just threw a tentative date out there to get the ball rolling.

Just say where and when and I'll be there!

ddubick

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013, 3:35pm

Ben suggested that Dec 7th was probably too soon and I'm tending to agree.

Perhaps we put this off until January to get the holiday season out of the way.

In case anyone hasn't clued in yet, Ben won the 2013 Canadian Barista Championship.  So we have a truly passionate barista interested in teaching us a thing or two.

We could keep this meet as an informal agenda of playing around, practicing our techniques with an expert as a resource.

Or Ben has offered to do a presentation/teaching session on a topic of our choice.

Or he could go through the routine he presented at the competition.

I am leaning towards a short teaching session with Ben at the helm followed by ample practice/discussion time.  But I would appreciate any input into the possible format.

This is getting exciting!
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Canada West > Calgary home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295889139175)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+