Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Central and South America
Great coffee shops in Mexico city
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Americas > Great coffee...  
view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rollerskate

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Jun 26, 2008, 8:29am
Subject: Great coffee shops in Mexico city

I am off on holiday to Mexico city in a few weeks. Where is the best place for a great cup of coffee?
 View Profile Link to this post
harmolodic

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2008, 5:40am
Subject: Re: Great coffee shops in Mexico city

I'm afraid this won't be too helpful, but we found several very good coffee shops in the Polanco/ Chapultepec area. I can't recall the names, tough...they really knew coffee, and had many good Mexican coffees on hand. They do Americano style, not drip...very good coffee.

Stroll around that area and you'll find one within a few minutes, I'd wager.
peregrina
peregrina
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri Jun 27, 2008, 5:00pm

First of all, GOOD LUCK finding anything drinkable!!! I spend part of last summer in Mexico (mostly in Mexico City) and was so coffee-deprived that I almost worshiped the first airport Starbucks that I encountered on my way home.... Almost all they drink down there is Nescafe. But, there were a couple of places that had decent espresso. One was this funky coffee shop/bar with ambience and live music, in Chimalhuacan in the suburbs.
Also, there were a lot of coffee places in Coyoacan, which has a college town kind of vibe. I tried a cappucino at one of them, and it was pretty good.
RapidCoffee
RapidCoffee
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Mazzer Robur
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: misc
Posted Fri Jun 27, 2008, 11:31pm

peregrina Said:

First of all, GOOD LUCK finding anything drinkable!!! I spend part of last summer in Mexico (mostly in Mexico City) and was so coffee-deprived that I almost worshiped the first airport Starbucks that I encountered on my way home.... Almost all they drink down there is Nescafe.

Posted June 27, 2008 link

Been a few years since I was in Mexico City, so I can't be of much help. But this is an overstatement about coffee quality in Mexico. No, you may not find much third wave espresso. However, fresh drip coffee and espresso are widely available. (Incidentally, Starbucks opened up shops in Mexico in 2002. And WiFi is free, at least in the Yucatan. :-)

Here's a pic of an interesting 4-group lever machine in Cafe La Habana, Merida, Yucatan from a couple of months ago. They also roast coffee on the premises.

RapidCoffee: MeridaLever.jpg
(Click for larger image)
peregrina
peregrina
Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Sat Jun 28, 2008, 9:01am

LOL, well, maybe it's because I was staying with a not-very-well-off family out in a pretty bad part of town, same way it would be in similar parts of this country. I just know that after my first experience with being offered coffee in somebody's home, I politely declined just about every time after that!
comkaff
comkaff

Espresso: self roasted relationship
Grinder: la san marco sn90,...
Vac Pot: la pavoni BART-2, Zacconi,...
Roaster: roaSTARy cr1 shoproaster
Posted Sat Jun 28, 2008, 12:55pm

I have been in Mexico Ciudad, Oaxaca, Chiapas, Guatemala and Honduras, last Year.

In Mexico Ciudad I had good Coffee at Finca Santa VeraCruz, Café de Altura. Everything else was mas o menos more badly than used.

;) Stefan

Director of the Berlin Coffee Museum.
novocastrian

Posted Sun Jan 5, 2014, 2:28pm

I was just in Mexico City and it looks like things have changed since this thread was last updated.  There are several places in the Roma and Condesa neighborhoods that are doing either third-wave or at least have a decent espresso program.  By far the best place I found was Chiquitito (http://chiquititocafe.com/) in Condesa which was near my B&B.  It is as good as any third-wave place in New York.  They roast their own beans from Mexican farmers and do pour-over/chemex/aeropress and pull a great shot.
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Americas > Great coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.209469079971)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+