Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Europe
Good coffee places in Lisbon?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Western Europe > Good coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
BicaGuy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Andreja Premium, La Pavoni...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, Braun
Drip: Braun
Posted Thu Nov 2, 2006, 3:34pm
Subject: Re: Good coffee places in Lisbon?

I would by far not consider myself an expert about Italy, italians or their coffee culture, but I do believe, as you say, there are bigger differences between italian coffee making than you find in Portugal.  Of course Italy is a lot bigger than Portugal, with about 5 times as many people and thus with many more coffee brands to chose from.  I do believe the taste is different between the north of Italy and the south, and there is more experimenting with various proportions of arabica versus robusta.  In Portugal you'll never know what bean types are used, as there is no such customer awareness (or interest?) and thus no demand for this information - the coffee brands in Portugal are after all quite similar, though with disticts individual tastes.
 View Profile Link to this post
ProBoner

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: gaggia classic
Grinder: gaggia MDF
Posted Wed Oct 15, 2008, 12:38am

I found this thread through google so I'm bringing it back up because it may be my best bet for an answer.

I'm in the Toronto area and usually travel to the Sao Miguel every couple of years to see family. I have gotten used to seeing the 2 most common coffees on the island being Delta and Torrie. However, my favorite coffee has been Tofa Classico which isn't all that popular but I had it in the "parque atlantico" mall and it was fantastic! I've brought some back with me several times but I would love to know if there are any distributors which can ship that coffee or Delta Platina to Toronto? I'm also a big fan of Delta Ouro (which I can buy locally for $23cdn) but I have yet to find Platina. Is Platina a better blend than Ouro?
SoveskY

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Nespresso D90
Grinder: Taurus Aromatic
Vac Pot: Moka pot
Drip: Phillips Café Délice
Posted Wed Dec 10, 2008, 4:19pm

Hi ProBoner,

In theory the platina is better than the Ouro, but in coffee terms no one can say it.
They're just different blends,

For those who don't know (no one for sure), I live in Portugal and I love coffee!

After reading this thread I found myself a little confused, because I alway's had the perception that portuguese coffee was really bad. Alway's though it was kind of industrialized, specially when comparing to the descriptions I found in this forum, related to different blends of foreign coffee.
Maybe I'm just used to good coffee and never had a really bad coffee? It's possible.

When talking about portuguese coffee, I find Delta coffee to be the best. Awesome offer of different blends from all over the world (I love Papua New Guinee coffee). Nicola in my opinion is... reasonable.
There is a TOFA café in my university, and I find it just horrible.

The thing I really hate about Lisbon is the fact, I can't find any coffee specialized store, who can sell green coffee beans, good grinders, and mainly, Brikka's! (I'm a Moka pot lover).

But I'm just a 20 year old guy, with a really limited experience in the "coffee world". :)

André
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Western Europe > Good coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.16729092598)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+