Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Europe
Espresso in Paris
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Western Europe > Espresso in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
T_Rick
T_Rick
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Giotto
Grinder: Compak K10, Rocky DL, Zass
Drip: press pot; Chemex
Roaster: Poppery II; iRoast 2
Posted Fri Nov 7, 2008, 1:54pm
Subject: Espresso in Paris

Anyone know where to get good espresso in Paris?

T-Rick

BOOKMAN: "You buy a jar of Folger's Crystals, you put it in the cupboard, you forget about it. Then later on when you need it, it's there. It lasts forever. It's freeze-dried. Freeze-dried Crystals."
 View Profile Link to this post
T_Rick
T_Rick

Posted Sat Nov 8, 2008, 7:20pm
Subject: Re: Espresso in Paris

bump

T-Rick

BOOKMAN: "You buy a jar of Folger's Crystals, you put it in the cupboard, you forget about it. Then later on when you need it, it's there. It lasts forever. It's freeze-dried. Freeze-dried Crystals."
jezz

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Thu Nov 13, 2008, 4:29pm

Hey T_Rick,
Great boutique coffee is hard to come by over in Paris! After working and training over there for the last few months I can safely recommend a couple of places. First head to Galeries Lafayette, to the little red cars that are parked both inside and outside of the gourmet/mens department- ask to speak to Aleaume or Tom, the owners as they will be more than happy to talk to you about coffee and show you around. They will also tell you about the changing attitudes towards espresso in France. Then head to cafe Soluna at 52, Rue Hôtel de Ville (metro pont Marie) they are a little roastery and cafe that have good machines and passionate staff, usually a good mix!

Good luck!
Jezz
T_Rick
T_Rick

Posted Mon Dec 22, 2008, 6:10pm

jezz Said:

... head to cafe Soluna at 52, Rue Hôtel de Ville (metro pont Marie) they are a little roastery and cafe that have good machines and passionate staff, usually a good mix!

Posted November 13, 2008 link

Thanks.

Well, I didn't make it over to the Galeries Lafayette, primarily because of the holiday shopping season being in full bloom when I was there at the beginning of the month.  I had no intention of fighting through the hordes of consumers at that place!

I did make it to Caféothèque Soluna at the end of my trip.  Great place. I didn't have to look too hard to find it.  The smoke billowing out of the front door was a clue to the location; he was roasting a batch when I got there.  Obviously, the roaster isn't vented.  However, being a "garage" roaster at home, I appreciated the smell of something familiar after a week of wet and rainy downtown Paris.  I had to walk the gauntlet of smoke to get to the bar and couches in the back, so the smell stayed with me for the rest of the day... awesome.  Anyway, the coffee was the best I had all week.

I also want to let people know of a good place (IMHO) in the 16ième Arrondissement:  Le Franklin.  This place is a real decent bistro bar at 1, rue Benjamin Franklin (directly up the street from Métro Passy).  Not the best coffee in Paris, I'm sure, but you can tell they take a certain pride in their establishment and what it's meant to offer.  Always busy there too, which is always a good sign.  The shots were consistently decent.  Not great, but decent espresso.  In Paris, that's a tall order.  I also ate dinner there - very good.

T-Rick

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Western Europe > Espresso in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.193351984024)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+