Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Europe
I'm in Rome for 12 more days... Uh...where's the good espresso at?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Western Europe > I'm in Rome for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
echris

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 10:07am
Subject: I'm in Rome for 12 more days... Uh...where's the good espresso at?

Thought I'd be tripping over the stuff but so far the shots Ive had hold a weak candle to the drip I make when I'm camping. There seems to be a pretty serious over site about what good extraction even means.

Finally hit up st eustachio today and while different it still was hardly drinkable. What's with that flavorless white stuff they call cream? Is that chalk?

I think I can build a raport with a place I found this morning, but feel they may go nonlinear if they sense criticism of their coffee from some yank that can't even talk right.

Does anyone know a place in rome that can pull an honest shot?

For reference I'm ordering a cafe dopio ristretto.

Thanks,
Confused in Rome.
 View Profile Link to this post
echris

Posted Sun Apr 22, 2012, 10:53pm
Subject: Re: I'm in Rome for 12 more days... Uh...where's the good espresso at?

Nothing yet eh? To clarify the above, seems you must order "ristretto" not to expect a USA ristretto but just to stop the barista from totally over pulling the shot. If you don't say dopio you actually get 2-3 oz from the output of a single spigot of the portafilter. A doppio comes in a bigger cup. What with all the boasting of my Italian friends I didn't expect to have this problem at all. The places I'm going to have good grinders and machines (avoid places that you don't hear grinders running)
outrigger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2012, 12:41pm

If you are still there; try order at any bar:  "un caffè"  or "un caffè doppio", you might get what you want.

Caffè Ciame has almost no tourist, pay first at the cashier
http://www.ciameicafferoma.eu/dove-siamo

FYI: the words "espresso", "ristretto" won't be used often in Italy.
echris

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 11:26am

Thanks for the reply, I'll give ciamei a shot if I get out there.

I've given up on espresso here and am enjoying Napoli style drip at Beppe in the Jewish quarter. They use sant eustaccio beans but makes great drip.

I've met many excellent people here, passionate about food craft and they all say the same thing... they know a place in Firenze, or bologna, just nothing good in Rome. Ive actually had a few decent shots here but you need a lot of luck. I now always order "un cafe" or "cafe normale" doppio just adds confusion. Forget ristretto, I say that they'll go out of their way to wreck the shot.(seems like it)

Other than the excellent Beppe drip, there is a young tallish barrista at camilloni s eustaccio (just to the left of the famous sant eustaccio, same square) that can pull a good shot. Theyre one of the few places where a normale comes from a single spiggot portafilter. He actually switched baskets when I ordered a doppio. The two older guys in there are really sloppy (grounds spilled into my cup once) and always pull too long.

Another place that's been good is cafe pace, but only rarely. They have the attitude of a surly Seattle barristas, I can hope that increases their good shot probability in their future. :)

To my eyes the basic issue is the barristas have no technique, don't know when to stop the pull or are just way past caring. And their Customers have zero expectation so there's no reason to change.

Honorable mentions though: open baladin is a beer place. Very very good beer particularly the barley wine which is the best I've ever had, and their burgers too (tartar). I wish the passionate capable beer, cheese, meat people would do something about the espresso.
echris

Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 1:00pm

I should add, the coffee at beppe is made with "Napoli style" aluminum flip pot. Looked for one today but couldn't find one, then found discussion here with questions.

The mechanism is very simple and small, each devices produces 6-8 oz. They grind so it takes 7-9 minutes to brew. Delicious. The pour spout has a fine mesh filter, so your cup sees no sediment.
EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 4:47pm

echris Said:

I'm in Rome for 12 more days... Uh...where's the good espresso at?

Thanks,
Confused in Rome.

Posted April 22, 2012 link

Back in your hometown of Seattle waiting for you. : )

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
sfrj

Espresso: Alex Duetto
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Aeropress, Syphone &c.
Posted Tue May 1, 2012, 7:18am

Not to mention many of the (beautiful, old) machines look like they haven't been cleaned since 1978... no wonder the espresso is bitter.

We had quite good coffee in Turin, and surprisingly in Venice at the cafe right across from the Accademia.  I love the coffee culture in Italy, wish the actual coffee was better.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Western Europe > I'm in Rome for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.204732179642)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+