Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Europe
Buying Coffee Stuff in Italy
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Western Europe > Buying Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
stanley_c_wong

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Office Control, Silvia,...
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Sat Feb 4, 2012, 7:52pm
Subject: Buying Coffee Stuff in Italy

Hi,

I just heard that my wife and I will be going to Italy in April.  Offhand I think we will be going to Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan.  I am looking to coffee equipment and beans to bring home.

For an espresso machine, I would really love to bring home a Viebeme Domobar or similar, but I do not see that happening: 1) We will be going from place to place and would find it difficult to lug a 20kg plus machine around on public transport (yes, no rental car) 2) Luggage allowance,  would be insufficient, as this is a shopping trip for my wife as well. Shipping?  Does anyone know how much it cost to ship a machine to Asia from Italy? and 3) VERY unlikely we would be able to spend a day going out to the factories to get one, and I heard that is the way to do it.  But if machines of this caliber are readily available in city centers, please let me know.

If anyone has a solution to the above issues, I would appreciate your advice.  Btw. I have a Expobar Office, so anything below that would not interest me.

So I am looking for Barista equipment, spare parts (e.g. bottomless portafilter or professional steam tip) and coffee beans, that I might "coincidentally" come across walking around the city.  Any advice?

I am also looking for a Nespresso-type machine for my wife.  She does not want to go through the hassle of using my Expobar, but she complains that when I am overseas all she has to drink is instant coffee.  And this would be a good time to buy the machine and capsules.  But she has not decided on which machine yet.  Any advice?  I am leaning towards Nespresso or Gaggia/Illy.  btw. the machine cost about twice as much in Singapore and the capsules, 3 times!

Stanley
 View Profile Link to this post
outrigger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Feb 4, 2012, 8:17pm
Subject: Re: Buying Coffee Stuff in Italy

Hi, Stanley,

most italian drink their Caffè at the street corner bar, they don't know what is a Faema, La Marzocco or even Vibiemme....

If they own a Bialetti stovetop at home, that will be the coffee for their "Home-Setup".

You'll have to do your homework for the Vibiemme what is suitable for you.
As for shipping to Singapore, this english site might be the standard for your Nespresso:

http://www.coffeeitalia.co.uk/shipping.php

Good Luck and Bon Voyage!
NobbyR
NobbyR

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Sat Feb 4, 2012, 11:52pm

Outrigger's right.

Most Italians don't have an espresso machine at home. They would even find the notion amusing, because an espresso is something you can get at any bar at every corner of the street. That's where they drink it. It's also about socializing. The one thing that's getting increasingly popular in Italy, too, because it's convenient, are superautomatics.

That's why you'll find it hard to find espresso equipment during your journey. Have fun anyway. It's a fascinating and beautiful country. Do as the Italians do, have your espresso at the bar. It's the most authentic way to enjoy a caffè.

By the way, if you don't want to be the subject of entertainment, you shouldn't order a latte or capuccino unless in the morning for breakfast and never a latte macchiato, because Italians serve that to their children.

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
TonyVan

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Sat Feb 4, 2012, 11:54pm

It sounds like a wonderful trip of a lifetime, Stanley, and I hope you make the most of it!

To that end, my advice would be to soak in everything that is so remarkable about the places you will visit, free from self-inflicted pressures to use such precious time for saving a little money on Nespresso pods.  Even if you can successfully haul it around, find packing materials and get it through customs - and if you can manage warrantee, regulatory compliance, service and even the compatible electrical requirements once you get it home - any appliance is unlikely to have been worth what you really "paid."

Believe me, in a year or two you'll look back remembering the yellow and white cups of espresso at St.Eustache and the Pistachio gelato at Vivoli.  It won't be whatever little money you saved wasting priceless afternoons hunting for addresses in the industrial backwaters of Milan.

So forget it, and instead have a great trip!
stanley_c_wong

Posted Sun Feb 5, 2012, 1:14am

TonyVan,

You are absolutely correct in that we will NOT be spending time tracking down espresso machine factories.

But espresso pods.. Well, if we do manage to choose the machine type, we will be buying quite a number of coffee pods.  They sell them for about US$1 each over here.

Believe you me, we WILL be spending loads of time walking around sightseeing (photography is another of my hobbies) and EATING and DRINKING (erhm.. another of out hobbies?). :)
TheCoffeeLocator
TheCoffeeLocator
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 5:27am

Anywhere. Generally the further south you go towards Napoli, the more serious people get about coffee (starting in the North, where they are fanatical).
Watch out though - you will NEVER get the same advice of any two people in Italy on anything to do with food or coffee!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
stanley_c_wong

Posted Mon Aug 6, 2012, 6:22pm

TheCoffeeLocator,

Yes, thanks.  I went and I am back.  There were great coffee shops pretty much around every corner.  The coffee was great.  I had a 1-coffee-a-day minimum. And when I went to Sant'Eustachio, I had 3!  I also had a gelato-a-day minimum, but that is off forum.

As expected, coffee machines were not widely sold.  Those offered were similar consumer-types as that in Singapore.  There were no really big department store were we went, so even the range of those did not match up to that here in Singapore.  Moka pot were the hot sellers.  I understand tht is very common for Italian households to have 1 or 2, for when some cannot be bothered to walk the 200m or so the the nearest coffee shop.

I bought one as a souvenir. It made nice coffee but certainly not at the level of my existing Expobar Office.  It is presently on loan to a coffee-loving relative.

To those going to Italy, please cater for space and weight in your luggage for all the foods (instant is also fantastic!), spices and coffee products.  Look for shops specializing in local produce. Sometime you get lucky and get to buy quality chocolates by weight.  And Lavazza and other brands coffee beans are really quite reasonable.
TheCoffeeLocator
TheCoffeeLocator
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Aug 8, 2012, 4:51am

Yes, Italy dont do big mall style shops - mainly tiny family run decades old corner shops.
Coffee-wise, they dont really venture away from espresso roast. Different types, macchiato, marrocino, cappucino, but it is always esspresso roast.
At home they all have mocha machines - the little stainless steel devices.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Western Europe > Buying Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.20570898056)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+