Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: Western Europe
Good coffee in Amsterdam
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > Western Europe > Good coffee in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Simple_Peter

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Pavoni, Rancilio
Grinder: Afraid that I will become...
Roaster: There is more than coffee in...
Posted Mon Feb 23, 2004, 2:02am
Subject: Re: Good coffee in Amsterdam

I don't really know for sure where to get good coffee in Utrecht, but one place I would consider trying is "Brandmeester's" in Korte Janstraat. It looks good and sells a pretty good selection of machines, plus coffee's and tee's. I have only tried their tee so far, but maybe you can try the coffee and tell if it's good or not?

Apparently it's a chain, and there is two of them in A'dam, so maybe you know it already?

Please also notice that it's a shop and therefore not open at night (except Thursday I suppose?).

Cheers,

Peter

PS: If you're also looking for a place to eat, then you might want to consider the "Nachtrestaurant" in one of the old warehouse "holes" down by the canal (and close to Brandmeester's). The surroundings are nice and they serve pretty good spanish/northafrican tapas (though the service can be a little slow).
 View Profile Link to this post
flimbag

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Euro2000 Jr.
Grinder: Minging Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Cona Jr.
Drip: I know you are, but what am...
Roaster: Prima Popcorn Popper
Posted Mon Apr 5, 2004, 9:32am
Subject: Good coffee BEANS in Amsterdam

Thanks for all your replies, people. I have to say, for a country that is as obsessed with its coffee as the Netherlands is, I'm surprised by how lousy it can be in so many places.

I have to say that the place that has impressed me the most has been Coffee Company -- which I suppose is the NL equivalent of Starbucks (but without the comfortable armchairs.)

What Coffee Company does appear to have though, is consistently good coffee -- particularly with regard to milk-based drinks. Which isn't to put down their expressos/ristrettos/cortados, etc. -- I just don't feel as competent to judge those yet.

On my last trip, I bought some beans home. I bought from two suppliers -- 500 grams of 'licht espresso' from Geils on Warmoestraat, which seems to be the oldest coffee dealer in the Netherlands, and also sells green beans, and 250 grams of espresso roasted by 'The Golden Coffee Box' that I bought from Plantage in Utrechtstraat.

(Plantage is a lovely little tea/coffee shop that really makes an effort and has some great things to sell. I'm not completely sure about their coffee, but the people who work there are wonderful. The table I was sitting at had a copy of Schomer for the customers to browse as they drank their coffee.)

Anyway, I've yet to sample the Golden Coffee Box product, but the 'licht espresso' from Geils has to be the worst coffee that I've drunk so far. I don't know whether that's because it contains lots of nasty robusta, but it's the first 'fresh' coffee that I've bought that I considered completely undrinkable. And that's if I could get a decent shot. I get mountains of very light crema but a shot that's gone almost clear by the time we're 20 seconds in -- even though the volume is correct, 2 oz in 25 seconds.

I've been drinking it alongside some home roasted Malabar Gold, which also contains robusta, but the robusta in that blend isn't at all intrusive -- on the contrary, I think it works very well (though the all arabica blend I get from Monmouth still rules,.

I didn't actually make it into Brandmeesters on my last trip, but I was very impressed by Duikelmans, and by the shop of the guy (I think he's next to the Neue Kirk -- who has the original Faema E61 and Kees Van Der Western modified La Marzoccoa in his window.  He was quoting a very good price for the Domobars and was happy to ship them across to the UK -- something that he's done in the past.

I do love the Netherlands -- but what the hell is that little shelf in the toilet all about? And does it have anything to do with the reasons why the Dutch are all so obsessed with coffee?

Finally, I've just finished Geert Mak's (sp?)  history of Amsterdam which was absolutely wonderful. If you do happen to be visiting this city, the book really gives you an insight into the unique qualities of the place and its inhabitants.
Sunnyfield
Sunnyfield

Espresso: LM GS/3
Grinder: Elektra Nino
Drip: Swissgold single cup filters
Roaster: Mini-500 / Feima 800N gas...
Posted Mon Apr 5, 2004, 10:09am

500 grams of 'licht espresso' from Geils on Warmoestraat has to be the worst coffee that I've drunk so far.

Van Geels (Geils is the Dutch word for horny, fair enough they are located right behind the Red Light District... Freudian slip of the tongue?) is disappointing indeed. Van Wijs & Zn. also on Warmoesstraat has a better reputation, although I must say they often sell stale beans too.

Out of curiosity, how much is the VBM at Duikelmans?

Cheers
Eward

PS Don't you think the shelf is charming? Readily presented to be admired whatever you left behind? ;-)

www.toomuchcoffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
capricrn1

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu May 13, 2004, 1:16pm

I recently spent a vacation in Amsterdam and really enjoyed their coffee.  Whether it was a cup at the airport or at a hotel it seem like the same style.  I'd like to get the same coffee here in the US.  Is it possible to brew their style here?  If so, what type of machine is used and bean? Any help wouuld be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob.
Ciordia9
Ciordia9
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Oscar
Grinder: Eureka MDE Grinder
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004, 6:44am

capricrn1 Said:

I recently spent a vacation in Amsterdam and really enjoyed their coffee.  Whether it was a cup at the airport or at a hotel it seem like the same style.  I'd like to get the same coffee here in the US.  Is it possible to brew their style here?  If so, what type of machine is used and bean? Any help wouuld be appreciated.

Thanks, Rob.

Posted May 13, 2004 link

I'd like to renew this thread as I too am looking for this information.  I was in Amsterdam 4 or so years ago and fell in love with their coffee with milk.  Anyone have any ideas?

-a

http://andy.ciordia.info
"Life is all about strategy, mathematics and psychological perceptiveness."
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
Bean_Believer

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Espressa Mini (aka E2K...
Grinder: awaiting delivery of Mazzer...
Posted Thu Nov 4, 2004, 10:51am

Ciordia9 Said:

I'd like to renew this thread as I too am looking for this information.  I was in Amsterdam 4 or so years ago and fell in love with their coffee with milk.  Anyone have any ideas?

-a

Posted November 4, 2004 link

Hi a,

About the "koffie":
I've lived in NL for about 7 yrs now.  I never used to drink coffee until I moved here because it was just some brown icky bitter dishwater liquid to me before.  So, UNLESS the N.Am average household type coffee has changed since then, then I do agree that coffee here is far better.  To support my case, I always had to bring back kilos of vacuumed foil-packed pre-ground coffee for my brother-in-law... which then extended to all my friends and family.  Do you know how long they keep you at customs when you have bags of 250g & 500g vacuumed-sealed shiny foil rectangular-shaped packages... coming from Amsterdam??  Of course, it's always a kick to see the look on their faces when they repeat the word "coffee???" about 5 or 6 times!

Most Dutch households have the "Aroma Rood" Click Here (www.de.nl)
I think this is the English version:  http://www.douwe-egberts.co.uk/uk/Retail/OurBrandsAndProducts/RoastAndGroundCoffee/

The "koffiemelk":
I've never really seen people use it in tea and most certainly not drink it straight... but I've seen it used to thicken soup.  It looks a lot more like cream and it definitely has more fat content.  I don't have any at home to tell you the exact contents but next time I'm doing groceries, I'll have a look.  I used to joke that when you put "koffiemelk" into "koffie", the spoon could almost stand up in the middle of the cup.

One of the popular brands:  www.goudband.nl  then hover over "Producten" and then "Koffie verrijkers" (means coffee enrichers/enhancers) and then click on "goudband".  According to the site, it's made of full milk and a stabilisor E339.

The little blurb above it goes on about being made according to traditional recipes in order to serenely enjoy a soft and creamy cup of coffee.  I wonder if E339 is part of the traditional recipe.  Hmmm.  Another another thing probably worth mentioning is that I've never seen "fresh" koffiemelk in the refrigerated section.  I've only ever seen it as the long-life-unrefrigerated-shelf version.

I don't know how, but hopefully this helps you out a bit :-)

M
SilverX1

Espresso: FrancisFrancis X1
Grinder: Solis
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Braun
Posted Fri Nov 12, 2004, 11:43pm

Though I don't live in Amsterdam but in Utrecht (relaxed mid country college/University town),I know there are plenty of nice places to get your coffee in A'dam. There are some nice little franchise shops like Brandmeesters, Kaldi or Simon Levelt. They all sell pretty decent coffee. Not very cheap, but good. My personal favourite is Brandmeesters.
If you like a special coffee experience you should head over to a tiny little town called Baarn (between Utrecht and Amersfoort) to visit the shop annex roastery of Willem Boot: Golden Coffeebox (sorry site is in dutch only, but they used to have an english version0. The coffee there is absolutely faboulus ;)  and Baarn and it's surroundings are nice as well.
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > Western Europe > Good coffee in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.225857019424)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+