Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United Kingdom
Gaggia Classic shower screen
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > UK > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
jackaubrey

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Sep 20, 2012, 11:42am
Subject: Gaggia Classic shower screen

I have a 2 year old Gaggia Classic. It has been superb until recently, when I noticed that the water comes out of the screen not a s spray, but as a single stream, originating sometimes at the centre, and sometimes offset from the centre. The screen used to have a nice even "spray". Crema is feeble. I have descaled several times, and changed the screen to the steel and mesh one from Happy Donkey.

I took the screen off, and the holder behind. There is a single hole from the boiler. 4 equal streams come from the holder (screen left off), but when I put the screen back on - no even spray across the surface of the screen - just one or two streams.

Any ideas would be great!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
NobbyR
NobbyR
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Poccino Opus One, Ariete
Grinder: Eureka Mignon Istantaneo
Vac Pot: N/A
Drip: Melitta Linea Unica de Luxe
Roaster: N/A
Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 6:38am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic shower screen

When I do a cooling flush with my HX machine, I wait for the water to flow in a single stream. I know it's called shower screen, but I'm not quite sure that the water is supposed to come in a spray.

Take a look at this YouTube video of a cooling flush: click here.

On the other hand, this is a video of a Gaggia Classic shower screen: click here. I guess this is what you're used to, isn't it?

"This drink of the Satan is so delicious that it would be a shame to leave it to the infidels." (Pope Clement VIII on coffee, when he was urged to ban the beverage)
jackaubrey

Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 1:20pm

Thanks. You are right, I used to see the even spread of water from the dispersion screen as shown in the Gaggia video. Now it looks more like the cooling flush video. If my coffee production has slipped away, I was unsure if it might have been because of that, or my own ineptness.

Should or could it make this difference?
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Sep 21, 2012, 6:51pm

I am not sure if you resolved this issue.  If not, try checking your flow.  The pump should flow about 10 ml/sec with no pressure against it, so run for a rew seconds and make sure that you are close to normal. This would be with the PF off, measure flow out the group.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
pessutojr

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Eureka Mignon
Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012, 1:29pm

Hi, I know this a bit late but, have you checked the Gaggia Group on yahoo?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gaggia/

It is bound to have someone there to help you out.

That happens to me sometimes, and I found that giving the screen a good rub with the cleaning brush helps.

Good luck!
radion_automatic

Posted Wed Mar 6, 2013, 6:47am

I've got a bit of experience with these, fantastic when working but they seem prone to failures just outside of the warrenty period!
Craighew

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Classic Gaggia
Grinder: Gaggia MM
Vac Pot: From Debenhams
Posted Wed Mar 13, 2013, 4:51am

I've had my Classic for about 8 years.  I'm familiar with the guts of the machine, taking the boiler / solenoid / OPV out every 12 months or so for a good clean out etc.

The shower screen should be the least of your worries.

Its a perforated disc, nothing more.  the ONLY way it can impact your machine is if its blocked.

Take it off, hold it up to the light and look through it.  Use your instinct to determine if it needs cleaning or not.

Clean vigorously with a toothbrush or similar until you're happy.

There's not much more than that to it.  Once you're satisfied that it's OK, eliminate it from your fault-finding quest and work backwards along the water delivery pathway.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > UK > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.190508127213)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+