Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Chicago coffee fest...
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Chicago coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
markk11

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia v2
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky/doser
Posted Tue Jan 11, 2011, 11:03am
Subject: Chicago coffee fest...

Hello all,

Has anybody attended the Chicago Coffee Fest in years past?  

As I understand it, the Regional Barista square off will take place in conjunction with Coffee Fest, yet all I can ascertain about Coffee Fest is that it's an industry based event, not necessarily for the home enthusiast who might like to take in the Barista competition.

Do folks who don't work in the industry attend?  Is it worth the drive to Chicago for a home enthusiast?

Thanks for any insight...

Cheers,

M
 View Profile Link to this post
rbh1515

Espresso: LM GS3
Grinder: Mahlkonig/VersalabM3
Vac Pot: have one
Drip: no
Roaster: got that too/never use it
Posted Wed Jan 12, 2011, 8:54pm
Subject: Re: Chicago coffee fest...

Mark,
I went a few years ago, and am probably going to go again.  It is definately a trade show, but very worthwhile to go to.  You can try out some machines, try some different espressos and see some cool products.  I bought a Scace device there, and tried out a GS3 for the first time.  I'll probably be driving down Saturday morning, and the traffic is usually not bad at all.  I presume its at the Navy Pier again, and there is parking right there.  To get in I had to provide the name of the coffee place that I represented--just used the name of a local shop.  I'm also a home espresso enthusiast.
Rob
ilVecchio

Espresso: Cremina, Elektra Leva
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Jan 13, 2011, 7:05am

Hi Rob, Mark,

I'm thinking that perhaps some of us could meet at the show.  It'd be great to reconnect.

Joel
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
markk11

Posted Thu Jan 13, 2011, 7:17am

Good morning rbh,

Thanks for the input.  I'm trying to convince wifey that a day on Navy Pier would be fun!  She agreed, until I told her what I was really up to...:)  

The drive to Navy Pier, like you said, is a breeze; however, I just didn't want to get down there and not be able to enjoy anything.

A couple more questions, if I might.  1.  Did you need to purchase tickets?  If so, do you know if you can do it at the door?  2.  You say you stated that you represented a coffee house (i.e. Alterra, or...).  Is that a mandatory thing to get in and, can one 'tell the best truth' in that situation?

Thanks,

M
rbh1515

Espresso: LM GS3
Grinder: Mahlkonig/VersalabM3
Vac Pot: have one
Drip: no
Roaster: got that too/never use it
Posted Thu Jan 13, 2011, 9:07am

I bought my ticket at the door, and had to fill out a form which included which business I worked at.  At the time I had a friend that had bought a cafe, and he said to put down the name of his business.  I seem to remember that it was not open to the general public, but there were other home enthusiasts there.  I am sure they would be happy to take your money.  This year I may be getting some free tickets.  If I have extra I will let you know.  My wife will probably be going with me.  You can always drop your wife off at Michigan Ave.
Rob

Joel,
I should be there Saturday.  Let's definately meet up.
Rob
markk11

Posted Thu Jan 13, 2011, 9:59am

Thanks Rob,

Much appreciated...

Insofar as meeting up with you all, I was planning on Saturday as well...would be fun!

Let's keep in touch as the event nears and we could determine logistics, etc...

Cheers,

M
ilVecchio

Espresso: Cremina, Elektra Leva
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Thu Jan 13, 2011, 12:17pm

Let's pick an area and time to meet.  I don't know if Jim and Sherman will see this, but as soon as we have details, I'll cross-post on home-barista.

Joel
vrbsk1

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Gaggia Carezza
Vac Pot: Bodum French Press,...
Drip: Clever
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Jan 16, 2011, 5:05pm

Does anyone know if the Barista Competition is apart of the Coffee Fest or is it separate? I have attended the Barista Competition the last 2 times it was in Milwaukee and it was open to the puplic.

Brian
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sun Jan 16, 2011, 5:19pm

vrbsk1 Said:

Does anyone know if the Barista Competition is apart of the Coffee Fest or is it separate? I have attended the Barista Competition the last 2 times it was in Milwaukee and it was open to the puplic.

Brian

Posted January 16, 2011 link

Yes, the USBC North Central Regional is at the CoffeeFest.  Schedule is here: http://usbaristachampionship.org/?p=northcentral

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
iDrinkCoffeeCanada

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP, Speedster,...
Grinder: Versalab, Robur E
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm KBT-741
Roaster: Diedrich IR-12
Posted Sun Jan 16, 2011, 5:41pm

Coffeefest is a trade show, to get into the exhibit hall you will need some credentials but I am sure there are creative ways of acquiring these.

I went the last time it was in Chicago and I had an exceptionally good time.  Chicago is a great city and Navy Pier is a fantastic venue.  Riding the Farris Wheel during winter is also a worthwhile treat.

As for the Barista competition, it takes place outside of the exhibit hall and I think that anyone can watch.

SJ

Find www.iDrinkCoffee.com on facebook and become a fan for deals, contests and more.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Chicago coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.227766990662)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+