Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Memphis: A Lament
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Memphis: A...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
jrfeler

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus III
Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 1:20pm
Subject: Re: Memphis: A Lament

Former Memphis resident who has made pilgrimage to the Mecca that is the Bay Area checking in:

Last time I was in town, poplar perkn seemed to be the best option (because I might have had a friend who worked there and would let me pull my own shots when he was on shift...). I'm glad to hear that when I make my triumphant return for Thanksgiving, there will be options. I'm planning on coming out to Tamp and Tap. Is there some sort of beer/coffee happy hour? That would be pretty great.
 View Profile Link to this post
alive
alive
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 6:05pm

Hi folks,

For those of you who don't know Tamp & Tap has a special Bluegrass Brunch menu every Saturday and Sunday from 9am-3pm.  It's on our website @ www.tampandtap.com

On Saturday, Nov. 16th we have a special event.  WISEACRE BREWERY - the hot new Broad Street brewery that some of you may be familiar with - is rolling out a new beer and showcasing it here @ Tamp & Tap that day.  It's a coffee-milk stout which they've aptly named Gotta Get Up Before You Get Down, a Metropolis Coffee infused new brew.  

Everyone is welcome to come out and taste the first keg of its kind in Memphis.  10am-3pm this Saturday.  Come join us!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
tglodjo
tglodjo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013, 9:39am

Had a chance to visit Tamp & Tap this morning. Truly delicious drinks. Great atmosphere and competent baristas. I'm so glad Memphis finally has a fresh artisan coffee joint! Highly recommended.
JR
JR

Espresso: New but inop Quickmill...
Grinder: Baratza Forté, Cunill...
Drip: Bona Vita (Thermal)
Roaster: GG/UFO
Posted Fri Nov 29, 2013, 9:44am

tglodjo Said:

Had a chance to visit Tamp & Tap this morning. Truly delicious drinks. Great atmosphere and competent baristas. I'm so glad Memphis finally has a fresh artisan coffee joint! Highly recommended.

Posted November 29, 2013 link

I haven't made it, yet.  Glad to hear a good report about it.  I may get down there next week.  It's quite a haul for me to go downtown. Even midtown is 30-40 minutes.

Jack

www.PainFreeComputing.com
http://www.GaggiaUsersGroup.com
www.IsuzuPup.com
jrfeler

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus III
Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Sat Nov 30, 2013, 11:51am

Just stopped in Tap and Tamp today. Had a nicely pulled espresso (Metropolis Redline?) and tried someone else's cappuccino, which was also good.

I really liked the vibe in the place, and the food menu looked and smelled very good, though I was about to head to lunch and did not sample it.

Strongly recommend Tamp and Tap for anyone in Memphis seeking caffeination or just a nice place to pass a few hours.
JR
JR

Posted Thu Dec 5, 2013, 10:29pm

tglodjo Said:

Posted November 29, 2013 link

Well, I finally visited. I have to agree with all the above. My biggest complaint? It took me 45 minutes to get there. That's a LONG way just for coffee. :(

Now looking for a job downtown. Psst...anybody got connections at AutoZone's HQ? Walking distance!

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
JR
JR

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 7:39am

JR Said:

Now looking for a job downtown.

Posted December 5, 2013 link

Quite ironically, I had a job interview Monday, just a 3-minute walk from Tamp & Tap.  So just to be safe ;) I drove downtown at about 8:30, for my 10:30 interview--and hung out in Tamp & Tap.  I chatted with a very nice barista, who was (like me) dismayed that so many coffee shop employees don't even know what they're brewing.

I had two or three cups of drip coffee and it was excellent.  I watched them prepare a couple of espresso drinks. No latte art (yet), but that's not a deal breaker.  If the job comes through, I guess I'll be a frequent customer. :)

I'm amazed that just about every shop I've visited in Nashville uses bottomless portafilters, and pours latte art routinely. But Nashville has Vanderbilt and Belmont universities surrounded by coffee shops.  In contrast, the University of Memphis has ONE shop nearby. It's a new location for a shop that's been in Memphis for years, and I won't name them here.  The new location is a nice shop, but they serve nothing but Illy coffee for their espresso (and maybe their drip).

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
tglodjo
tglodjo

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Wave, V60, Chemex, Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Apr 10, 2014, 8:08am

We just got a Memphis chain here in Jackson. It replaced a shop that did Americanos as their only coffee, so needless to say, I was pretty excited. The fact that it was local and fresh roasted made me even more stoked for this new spot to come to Jackson. Went there the other day, and while they have "fresh" roasted coffee (don't advertise roast date, just use by date--ugh), they have NO ESPRESSO MACHINE. They use a glorified Keurig with espresso pods and an auto milk frother. I glad to have brewed coffee over Americano-only, but this is ridiculous. All around the shop they advertise where they source from and how the coffee is fresh and locally roasted. But then they mock their product in how they prepare it. So sad.
JR
JR

Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 7:45am

tglodjo Said:

We just got a Memphis chain here in Jackson.

Posted April 10, 2014 link

I'm not even aware of a "Memphis chain" in Memphis!

Jack

www.IsuzuPup.com
JR
JR

Posted Sat Apr 26, 2014, 7:54am

Memphis has a new shop in the University of Memphis area. It's Avenue Coffee, and they're for real.  They do espresso drinks and pourovers, but no drip. They bake in-house, and it's REALLY good! The photo is what I got this morning.

Jack

JR: avenue_coffee_small.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.IsuzuPup.com
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Memphis: A...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303632974625)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+