Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Coffee in Houston
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Coffee in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
dfan92

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 26, 2011, 3:09pm
Subject: Coffee in Houston

So I was searching through the forums for coffee/espresso places in Houston, and the latest post was back in 2008. Since then, what new has popped in Houston? My sister introduced me to Catalina this past winter break, and I was wondering where else I could get a cup of coffee/espresso shot of equal or greater value.

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
robertl
robertl
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Thu Jan 27, 2011, 7:05pm
Subject: Re: Coffee in Houston

I read this story in todays chronicle so I thought I would pass it on. I have been to coffee oasis once the coffee was good and I enjoyed the atmosphere. They sell a variety of fresh roasted beans I picked up a half pound of sumatra mandheling while I was there.

Click Here (www.29-95.com)
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sat Jan 29, 2011, 9:26pm

If you can wait 3 months, Houston will have the best coffee bar in the country for four days (April 28 - May 1, 2011). Top baristas from around the country (and some international stars) will run the (free) BGA Cafe's brew and espresso bar at the U.S. Barista Championship. Schedule here
doubleOsoul
doubleOsoul
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra Epoque,3 MCals,...
Grinder: Mazzer, Cunill, Pede (s),...
Vac Pot: vintage
Drip: Nope...
Roaster: I hand roast
Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011, 12:16am

MarshallF Said:

If you can wait 3 months, Houston will have the best coffee bar in the country for four days (April 28 - May 1, 2011). Top baristas from around the country (and some international stars) will run the (free) BGA Cafe's brew and espresso bar at the U.S. Barista Championship. Schedule here

Posted January 29, 2011 link

Oh yes! I can't wait to go to the SCAA event. Saving my pennies for it. Whoo hoo!
dfan92

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011, 1:22pm

I read somewhere that they needed volunteers?
can anyone confirm that?
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sun Jan 30, 2011, 1:45pm

dfan92 Said:

I read somewhere that they needed volunteers?
can anyone confirm that?

Posted January 30, 2011 link

I posted it under this same forum section here.
ryantann

Posted Tue Feb 1, 2011, 12:37pm

Also try Tuscany Coffee in the foodcourt under Greenway 5.  David's make some good coffee for me there in the past.

ryantanner.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CrystalXanthine

Posted Sun Feb 13, 2011, 11:06pm

I had to edit this post to say that I'm convinced any doubt I had about Catalina's quality was either a glitch or my misunderstanding.  I've had fine espresso in San Francisco (Ritual Roasters, Blue Bottle), Chicago (Intelligentsia), L.A. (Intelligentsia), Philly (Spruce Street), New York (9th Street, Gimme), Capitola (Verve) and some, but I'm happy to be able to sit at Catalina on a sunny afternoon and have the warm smiles and eye-opening espresso that puts them in the top of the aformentioned company.  The ethiopian they had today was magnificent....the best cup I've ever had.  Here's to Catalina persistently changing the way I taste espresso...I'll never be the same...cheers!
Tagg
Tagg
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia/Breville...
Grinder: Rancillo Rocky
Drip: Pour Over
Posted Mon Feb 14, 2011, 8:04am

I have been going to Catalina for awhile now, and I have seen, and tasted the quality of their brews definitley GROW.
Back when Max opened Catalina, and they had that Faema E61, and just the one guy (neck tattoo guy, super nice, I just don't know his name). After they first opened the coffee was definitley "experimental" with unpredictable quality. They have changed roasters a couple of times and improved with each change.
It's been in the past year that they have become insanely busy, and Crystal I think it's been in the past few months that maybe they have taken a few wobbley steps.  There are a few new faces behind the bar. Maybe they need to find their groove.  
I also dont get in there as much as I used too, I have had two kids since they opened with each one has drastically curbed my ability to whimisically fly through their doors.

Word on the street though is that a certain Austin shop is looking for locals in Houston.

In the early 2000's in Austin there was just JP's, who got their beans from Zoka.
Then Michael, left JP's and opened Medici in Clarksville, then opened Medici on the drag.
Now there is Houndstooth. Austin one/fifth the size of Houston has FOUR respectable shops.
Catalina raised the game in Houston, now we just need a few more to round it out.
robertl
robertl

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Feb 14, 2011, 8:28am

robertl Said:

I read this story in todays chronicle so I thought I would pass it on. I have been to coffee oasis once the coffee was good and I enjoyed the atmosphere. They sell a variety of fresh roasted beans I picked up a half pound of sumatra mandheling while I was there.

Click Here (www.29-95.com)

Posted January 27, 2011 link

I've made it my goal to try the places in this article I posted so yesterday I went to Catalina. I have to say the atmosphere was nice and the coffee was great.  I also visited Antigua coffee house in Pearland just outside of Houston recently and I wrote up a review of it (http://coffeegeek.com/forums/members/coffeereviews/518428) and as I mentioned in my earlier post I visited Oasis. Can't wait to visit the rest of the list will update when I do.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Coffee in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.289871931076)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+