Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Who pulls the best shots in Houston?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Who pulls the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Musicman
Musicman
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza w/PID & OPV
Grinder: Gensaco
Posted Sat Mar 10, 2012, 9:56pm
Subject: Who pulls the best shots in Houston?

Catalina has been the reigning champion, and having been there, I can vouch for their supreme excellence. However, I've just heard about Greenway Coffee (a.k.a. Tuscan Premium Coffee) in Greenway Plaza, and some people say they're better.  Has anyone out there been to Catalina and compared them to other places?  I'd be especially interested in knowing if there are good places in far NW Houston, since I live almost in Tomball, and getting down to Catalina is a bit of a trek.
 View Profile Link to this post
steven_meyer

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0, ECM  Giotto...
Grinder: HG-One, Mahlkonig K-30 vario
Posted Sat Mar 10, 2012, 10:11pm
Subject: Re: Who pulls the best shots in Houston?

Who pulls the best shots in Houston? That's easy, JonR10!!
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012, 6:09am

heh heh - thanks for the kind words.....

But no, it's not me.  
I've been pulling some great espresso shots lately but I'm not as consistent as Catalina or Greenway  
And there's also Revival Market,  I've had a few lovely shots there as well.  

PLUS - Look for Blacksmith - it should be opening this year sometime

When there was only one decent shop in town then the question could be answered with authority, there was only one "best" shop.  But now that we have a few good places and more starting up, I'm just happy and thanful for the variety.  

To define "best" then you'd have to set up some criteria for judging and go het the shops (probably multiple times each).  Then you could tally up your scoresheets and crown "the best".  For me, I'd rather just enjoy them for what each one offers.  :)

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Musicman
Musicman

Espresso: Gaggia Carezza w/PID & OPV
Grinder: Gensaco
Posted Sun Mar 11, 2012, 8:07am

I've heard about Jon's espresso and open invitations.  I hope to take you up on that someday!

Where is Blacksmith going to be?

And...I've been hearing things about Medici in Austin.  Next time I'm there, I hope to check it out, but I wonder if anyone here has been able to visit it, and if you could compare it to, say, Catalina.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Mar 13, 2012, 4:31pm

I heard there's a place opening next to Aladdin on Westheimer and Montrose...could that be where blacksmith is going in?

I've tried Revival Market a couple of times, now, having gotten that recommendation from Jon a couple of months ago.  IMO, the espresso drinks have been just ok, no, scratch that...let's say, pretty good.  Catalina was much more impressive to me.  I still haven;t made it to Greenway though.

Has anyone tried The Chocolate Bar's espresso drinks?  I've only had their drinking chocolate with a shot in it.  However, I noticed they have a commercial machine (I think it's a 3 group La Cimbali), and their tamper has an Intelligentsia logo in the delron (it's a Reg Barber).  I've wondered ever since if their espresso drinks are any good.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Buckley

Posted Thu Mar 22, 2012, 4:47pm

Please see my 'Java Sojourner' post on Houston shots.  Not only do I stand by that, but I revisited both Greenway and Catalina this week (and Revival Market, but did not imbibe) and Java Pura today.  I waslooking for beans, but drinking along the way.  Catalina and Java Pura (brc location) were both weak and flat.  Word among Houston baristas is, Catalina reached its peak of quality about 18 months ago and has been slipping and coasting since then.  If you are a Houston barista and you have not met me, please chime in and add to the discussion.  It is no wonder that Java Pura sucks.  In the one location I visited, they store their beans loosely in plastic bags in a REFRIGERATOR.  They immediately become wet (wetter) when exposed to the Houston climate.  Greenway's shot was lemony, nicely salty (minerally), bitter and toasty, with good body.  Not only do Patrick, Dave, James know what they are doing, they are super-friendly.  OK, so it is not at street level, it is under the Greenway complex, but it is no more difficult to park there  than, say, Dirk's when their miniscule lot is full.  To visit Greenway, park in any visitor's lot.  Building 3 lot is convenient if you are approaching south on Buffalo Speedway while Building 5 lot is most convenient from the westbound 59 feeder road (get off at Kirby and watch for the lot driveway after you pass Buffalo Speedway.)  It is in a food court on the same level as the underground parking garage, 87 paces from visitor 5 parking and 180 paces from the visitor 3 parking (I'm OCD, so what?).  Take a parking ticket and Greenway Coffee gives you a free 2 hour parking pass to get out.  It really is no hassle, and worth it.
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Tue Mar 27, 2012, 8:04am

emradguy Said:

I heard there's a place opening next to Aladdin on Westheimer and Montrose...could that be where blacksmith is going in?

Posted March 13, 2012 link

No, that's a different shop.  Blacksmith will be where Mary's was.  The location is directly across Waugh from Hay Merchant/Underbelly.
Click Here (swamplot.com)

Musicman Said:

And...I've been hearing things about Medici in Austin.  Next time I'm there, I hope to check it out, but I wonder if anyone here has been able to visit it, and if you could compare it to, say, Catalina.

Posted March 11, 2012 link

I'd echo Jon's comments about "best".  Best on any topic is highly subjective.  Medici is definitely worth checking out as are others in Austin.
jsanson

Posted Mon Apr 30, 2012, 6:59am

The place off Montrose/Westeimer behind Uchi is going to be Southside Espresso. Sean Marhsall who owns Fusion Beans is opening the shop.

Best shot for me would be James from Greenway/Revival.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon May 21, 2012, 11:01am

I was just at the Java Pura location in the med center.  I had a double ristretto and thought it was really nice, though I would like to try it with the brew temp a degree or so hotter, as it was slightly sour at the finish.  I didn't take tasting notes, so I can't really describe the shot more, but my take away message was that it's the best thing going I know of in the med center, and is certainly drinkable, if I have the time to walk down there from Hermann.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Who pulls the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242347955704)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+