Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States Central
Best Shops and Roasters in Minneapolis?
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Best Shops and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
Author Messages
klund
klund
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario-W
Posted Wed Apr 25, 2012, 7:54am
Subject: Re: Best Shops and Roasters in Minneapolis?

I will be in downtown Minneapolis with a need for espresso tomorrow morning. Is there anyplace that's worth visiting, or will I settle for Dunn Bros/Caribou and make something decent when I get back home?

Thanks!

-- klund

Well then, you should see me without coffee.
 View Profile Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Sat Apr 28, 2012, 3:28pm

klund Said:

I will be in downtown Minneapolis with a need for espresso tomorrow morning. Is there anyplace that's worth visiting, or will I settle for Dunn Bros/Caribou and make something decent when I get back home?

Thanks!

Posted April 25, 2012 link

If you are coming in on 35 from the south, several good ones mentioned within the thread are worth a stop before you hit downtown.

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Posted Sun Jul 8, 2012, 5:34am

Been awhile since we have had MSP/MN reviews.  Visiting our daughters this weekend and hit the Urban Bean on the way in to church:

Urban Bean on Lyndale.

Back to the crawls.  

This morning on the way to church, we stopped on Lyndale at the Urban Bean.  http://urbanbeancoffee.com/  Owner Greg Martin was working the two-group Synesso.  I ordered a cortado.

They use Dogwood's coffees -- and their own special espresso blend.

2 ounce shot topped with 1.5 ounces of very tight, frothy milk, served in a Gibraltar glass.  Choc's and caramels; well extracted with great milk and pour. Coffee is relatively light as espresso goes and I think the blend might get lost in a latte.  Will have to try it and see on the next trip.

Minimalist, modern decor.  Not my style but quite popular now.  Quite slow on a Sunday morning but this end of Lyndale doesn't wake up until 11am, per my daughter who used to reside in the neighborhood.

Greg tossed me 4 oz of an Idido on the way out the door -- "try it, you will enjoy."  Thanks Greg and see you next visit for more coffee chatter when 3 women aren't watching my time meter.

Worthy stop.

B|Java

BoldJava: GMartin.jpg

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
BoldJava
BoldJava

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 6:43am

Last time I was in town, I hit the Buzz Coffee and Cafe in Burnsville.  Shop gets an "F" for the coffee.

Shop doubles as a waffle joint.  Acoustics are bad and several families were dining with the kids.  That's super and clearly a primary goal of their business plan but not conducive to the coffee venture at all.  It serves as a local cafe.  Got it.

Knew I was in trouble when the barista looked quizzically at me when I posed, "Can you make a good cortado?"  Had to explain what a cortado was.  Ooops.  Then, she steamed (should I say 'foamed') the milk before even grinding the coffee.  Double oops.  Then, when I asked if she had a 4 oz or so water glass to serve it in, she held up an 8 oz coffee cup and said, "how about this."

Coffee was from Roastery 7 in Brooklyn Center, an FTO roaster.  It was all roast dominant and I thought that except for a Zocco, I was in Starbucks.  Come for the waffles but pass on the coffee.

http://www.thebuzzmn.com/

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US Central > Best Shops and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.205029010773)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+