Regional: United States East
A lot of questions from someone opening a coffeehouse in Charleston, SC
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > A lot of...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Brewtus II & X-3
Grinder: MCI &Solis
Drip: TV
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Sep 18, 2005, 9:17am
Subject: Re: A lot of questions from someone opening a coffeehouse in Charleston, SC

Why is Bob congratulating George?  George  - Are you really open?  Bob - Did you just find this thread?
 View Profile Link to this post
HB

Posted Sun Sep 18, 2005, 9:40am
Subject: Re: A lot of questions from someone opening a coffeehouse in Charleston, SC

EditorBob Said:

Should you find yourself in Charlotte please stop by!

Posted September 17, 2005 link

Bob, looking at your post history, all but one is a direct or indirect promotion of your business. Although Mark has no official policy on the matter that I can cite, historically speaking, regional event notifications are tolerated even if they have some commercial overtone. However, I would encourage you to contribute to the site in ways that aren't related to your business. You'll gain more recognition and respect than thinly veiled pretexts for link dropping (should you wish to discuss this point further or hear about advertising opportunities on CG, please contact the site owner: mark@coffeegeek.com).

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GeorgeW

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco FB80 3 Group,...
Grinder: Mazzer, Robur
Drip: Fetco
Roaster: Ambex YM-5
Posted Fri Nov 4, 2005, 10:15am

Hi all,

I haven't been on the boards lately...too busy trying to get our shop open.   Phew!  People weren't lying when they said that restaurants never open up on time or within the budget.  We now hope to be open by November 28th, a date that could easily slide if any of our subcontractors run over their work or the building inspections take more time then anticipated.

Bob, wish I had seen your post earlier, my wife and I were up in Charlotte several weeks ago for a training sessionwith the good folks at Counter Culture. We'll stop in next time we go up, though god knows when that might be once we open our doors.  I'll post some pics of our shop in a few weeks.

Take Care,

George
Muddycup

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Posted Sat Dec 17, 2005, 4:07pm

hope things are going well with opening your new coffee house.  As I read some of the postings, The best way is to shop around for a good coffee roaster, there are plenty of them, we have found that a local roaster in your area who delivers is your best bet (hopefully they have great coffee) they also should carry all the other products that you will neeed to run your store. If they are good they should come in and do all your training for you and your staff.

Good espresso beans generallly run around $4 - $5 per pound.  look out for cheaper.  Also if you find a local roaster you should take a tour of where they roast there coffee and become familiar with the process.

We have been using the same roaster since we opened our first store 5 years ago, we now privat label there coffee and we have developed a great relationship, they even have developed a blend just for us.

As a fellow coffee house owner if I can answer any questions let me know.

Jim
www.muddycup.com
GeorgeW

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco FB80 3 Group,...
Grinder: Mazzer, Robur
Drip: Fetco
Roaster: Ambex YM-5
Posted Wed Dec 21, 2005, 2:25pm

We finally opened our doors this past Friday (Dec. 16th), only 6 weeks later than our most pessimistic forecast! ';)  Haven't had time (nor does it look like I will for the near future) to peruse the forums lately, but thanks for the advice.  We ended up deciding to work with Counter Culture our of NC.  They are a great outfit, not the cheapest beans out there by any means, but they have a great product, excellent service and a dedicated and engaging staff who are a pleasure to work with.

We're located at 1739 Maybank Highway in Charleston, SC 29412 if anyone is in the area.  We're still working the kinks of our operation and will all be continually training to refine our barista skills (guess we all do).

Regards,

George
Muddy Waters Coffee bar
James Island, SC (Charleston area)
Zgirl

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: FF 1x/R Silvia
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo/R Rocky
Posted Wed Dec 21, 2005, 3:11pm

Congratulations on finally opening - I hope that everything is as fun and interesting as you hoped it would be =)
 View Profile Link to this post
Muddycup

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2005, 12:51pm

Once you shop around and find a good roaster if they are good they should help you get up and running correctly as well as providing other products for your store, so take the time and shop around.  I do think it is best to find a roaster who delivers direct to your area via there own delivery trucks.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > A lot of...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.22088599205)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+