Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
Southeast Regional Barista Competition
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > Southeast...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Sep 25, 2006, 1:15pm
Subject: Re: Southeast Regional Barista Competition

doubleM Said:

The real-life model for this action figure is the barista who had my current job before I did.  She was/is a first-rate barista, super-talented at milk texturing and able to throw down some damn fine latte art.  Oh yeah, her shots rock too!

Posted September 25, 2006 link

Did she wear green glasses too?

Mark, Barista action figure owner since 2003 or so.

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dankbean
dankbean
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: mine
Roaster: self
Posted Mon Sep 25, 2006, 2:12pm

i was one of the Round 1 judges for the SERBC this year.  i will start by saying it was an honor: i took a step back for a few seconds, mid-competition, and took a look around the room, and counted as many people (that i recognized from CG, other trade shows, competitions, jams, etc) as i could....i ran out of fingers very very fast.  i was truly impressed at the level of expertise in the room, judges and competitors alike.  

i wish i would've made the time for the social events, like the judges' appreciation dinner.  from the stories i heard, you guys and girls threw down quite the shin-dig.  i'll make sure to clear my schedule next time.

i never thought that i would be nervous, but stepping onto the floor as a judge for the very first competitor, even i had the stage jitters!!  very exciting!!

the turnout was great: that little room was full by the end of the finals on Sunday!!  and yes, i think i counted like ten barista action figures by the end of the day....

Nick was truly a champion of champions.  it's really hard to be relaxed and excited at the same time, but Nick presents himself so well on-stage.  i agreed completely with his winning first place.  Congrats Mr. Cho.

Monday morning was a sad one.......................after watching all these competitors.......................i really suck at latte art.  not pretty at all.  i'm working on it, though....

see you at the next comp!!!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Sep 25, 2006, 7:11pm

Congratulation to Nick for winning the SE Regional, and the season opener for 2007 USBC.  

Ciordia9 Said:

Congratulations Nick & All.  It was my expressed desire to make it but I had some thick headed circumstances that kept me away.  In the end I washed out my weekend and really should have been there.  Keep kickin butt.  Hope to see you contend in Long Beach Nick!

-a

Posted September 25, 2006 link

Andy,

Don't be too modest...You need to elaborate what your plan was that kept you from attending the competition... : )
I know you get more high from doing this than from drinking coffee...

Cheers,

Steve
nickcho
nickcho
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: this
Grinder: that
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: drop
Roaster: Trish!
Posted Mon Sep 25, 2006, 8:10pm

Thanks for the props all, specially from Mr. Prince.

It was a great time, and I love the continued development of the barista community in the South East, and around the country (and the world).  It's my favorite thing about being involved with the competitions.

Daryn was awesome.  Lem is always a pro.  The other finalists, Ryan, Lena, and Michelle, were hardcore.

It's an honor to be part of this community, and I hope to represent well at the USBC.

(airfare and hotel?  Check.  w00t!!!)

www.wreckingballcoffee.com - www.portafilter.net
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
PeaberryPicker
PeaberryPicker
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Astoria CKE, Faem E91
Grinder: Nova Simonelli MDX, Capresso...
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Bonmac, Beehouse, Melitta
Roaster: Counter Culture Coffee
Posted Wed Sep 27, 2006, 5:51am

Check this link click here to Daniel Humphries' blog (from Cafe Grumpy in Greenpoint, N.Y.) to see how much the love for Nick Cho has spread.

Peaberry
Royski
Royski
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: Zach & Dani's
Posted Thu Sep 28, 2006, 1:35pm

Go Nick! DC Represent!!!
pravspresso

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Quickmill Alexia: Watlow PID
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 22, 2008, 8:00am

I hope Bob enters this competition next:

Vancouver International Pour Latte Art Competition, September 6th, at the 2009 Vancouver Fringe Festival

At first i found Bob's achievement "spectacular" but in retrospect i take the comment back.

Bob is a charasmatic top level author "cookbooks" who enters into competitions such as these

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutton_for_Punishment".

The resources, equipment and training could probably be considered close to the best in the world

ie. Sammy P. training Bob B. one on one.

The only suprise for me was the poor latte art. I guess there is absolutely no emphasis on it in score sheets?

If that is the case then his various comical attempts at latte art during the broadcast were just for the camera.

cheers.

ps. Found the link to the Chef partly responsible for the signature drink http://www.pan-o-pan.net/indexflash.html
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > Southeast...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.249971151352)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+