Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
NY Times article on the coffee "renaissance" in NYC
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > NY Times article...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
svyerkgeniiy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Oct 25, 2008, 6:10am
Subject: NY Times article on the coffee "renaissance" in NYC

You can view this article by following this link.  (Registration may be required; I don't know.)

I'm still reading it, so I have no comments on it yet.

Donald Varona
 View Profile Link to this post
svyerkgeniiy

Posted Sat Oct 25, 2008, 6:17am
Subject: Re: NY Times article on the coffee "renaissance" in NYC

Here's my favorite quote from the article:

“What you see going on now is a de- Starbuckification, if you will,” said Suzanne Wasserman, a food historian who is director of the Gotham Center for New York City History. “People are yearning for authenticity.”

Oh, how the mighty rigid have fallen.

Donald Varona
AldoCoffee
AldoCoffee
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Linea, Cimbali Jr
Grinder: 2 Jollys, Swift, Zass,...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA2, Yama TCA5
Drip: Fetco, Abid, V60, Chemex
Roaster: Stumptown, Intelli, LaVerdad
Posted Sat Oct 25, 2008, 8:45am

I wouldn't be so quick to count out Starbucks yet.  There are a whole lot of things they can still do to fix their situation.  Those Clovers aren't paperweights and they are sourcing better coffees - not great yet, but better.

Overall a good article.  Having been misquoted a bunch of times by journalists myself, I'm wondering what Daniel's full quote was along with the context.  

And as far as that last line, as long as the Food Museum woman also believes a $5 beer or wine is also extortion, more power to her.  But you've got no credibility if you think X is overpriced while Y isn't when the what you're paying for is the ingredient quality and the expertise to produce something delicious from it.  That's exactly the thinking that's held NY (and many other cities) back for so long.  Maybe she should be a museum exhibit herself.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
svyerkgeniiy

Posted Sat Oct 25, 2008, 10:07am

I'm certainly not counting Starbucks out.  They might actually continue to transform themselves into something more appreciable, instead of insisting that they know what's best for me or what the best really is.  I'm merely enjoying them reaping the result of their profit-focused arrogance from the past few years.  "Hmmm, maybe we do need to change some things here..."  Starbucks is going to have to step things up, since many the customers they have educated have now graduated to Higher Learning.  Or opened up some challenging competition.

People feel that more-than-a-dollar coffee is extortion merely because price is the driving factor for most people, since they all taste bad anyway-- or sometimes, people can't taste the difference, or don't care.  As long as the dollar coffee is available (along with those "Greek" blue paper cups!) for those who want it, I have no problem having the $2.50 double espresso and the $4 latte as well.  Then each side can sniff at the other and everyone is happy.

Donald Varona
AmyF

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2008, 5:28pm

Yeah, the last line of that article had me scratching my head. Last time I checked, there was a Starbucks every other block in Manhattan, and their drip definitely costs more than a dollar.

The Perfect Cappuccino - a documentary about coffee, consumerism, and being American
www.cappuccinomovie.com
www.youtube.com/coffeemovies
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > NY Times article...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.186688184738)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+