Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States East
New York roasters
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US East > New York...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
coffeeshone

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 3:40pm
Subject: Re: New York roasters

Well if you order 2lbs from Redbird or Dodd with shipping you're looking at around $30-35.

2 lbs lasts me about 10 days so I can order 3 times a month and have fresh coffee without running out to the store every couple days. The going rate for 12oz bags of most artisan roasters is anywhere from 14-18 dollars at the moment it seems so I figure I'm still  ahead because I'd be going through  3 bags in that time. I think both those roaters offer better coffee than whats frequently available in retail store in NYC, way better than stumptown and surely anything they have at Whole Foods. Intelligensia sells by the LB but they charge $20 and up for a 1 lb bag- too much for my everyday espresso blend.

Also, Claudia at CQ roasters had arranged a deal with me for a Kilo, shipping included for $35. That's the perfect amount. I have enough that I can dial in the roast and I'm getting  god shots one after another for 10-12 days. Try Brazil Sweet Blue as SO espresso, really happening.

It'd be cool if some of the more popular roasters would sell by the Kilo. I assumed that Intelligensia is all over Manhattan as there are 3 places in Brooklyn (Park SLope) that use them now.

Union Market has a good variety of Coffee, you just have to time it so you get beans that were roasted really recently. I wont buy if its was roasted more than   4 or 5 days ago.
 View Profile Link to this post
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Sat May 18, 2013, 4:17pm

coffeeshone Said:

Well if you order 2lbs from Redbird or Dodd with shipping you're looking at around $30-35.

Posted May 18, 2013 link

Oh it's not that I don't want to order. I certainly would if it was an option. USPS leaves packages unattended if I'm not home--that already cost me twice. UPS give 3 attempts and then they keep it at a facility an hour away from me (public transit)--not a fun weekend activity. USPS and UPS deliver during regular work hours (barring some crazy fees for weekend delivery). I only order things to an amazon locker near my house. Serious shipments are scheduled for the weekend.

Even compared to Intelligentsia prices, delivery loses big time. There are just way too many--a lifetime worth--of first-class places in NYC.

Stepping back from this "problem," 12oz is 340g. I dose 18g into the Vario, so a bag yields > 18 shots. That's easily 7-10 days as I live alone and work. 2lbs would yield 50 shots which is about 3 weeks for me.

Btw, Intelligentsia posted an official opening date for its first bar in Manhattan--May 21st! I will be sure to report back!

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
JZY

Espresso: Expobar Office Control, Sama...
Grinder: HG1 & Pede
Posted Sun May 19, 2013, 9:09am

coffeeshone Said:

Also, Claudia at CQ roasters had arranged a deal with me for a Kilo, shipping included for $35.

Posted May 18, 2013 link

I wish more roasters offered their coffee to order by the Kilo at a reasonable price...

Are there any roasters worth checking out in Astoria, Queens?
coffeeshone

Posted Mon May 20, 2013, 7:02am

I went to CoffeeFest NY a couple months ago. There were some local roasters, but I'm yet to find one that really blew me away. I agree- we should all start requesting that more roasters offer an affordable Kilo or multiple LB rate. If you're going to pay shipping, it has to be offset by being able to buy a bit more at a lessor rate. 5lbs always seems to much, 12 oz far too little. Maybe I'm drinking to much coffee?
Dayglow
Dayglow
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 10:54am

I share your pain but on a different side of the coin, I'm in upstate and every roaster is at least an hour away and anything on the store shelves is too old. I recently was given a pound of Giaco Bean's Winter Town coffee and it was pretty good. I'd imagine you could find that locally in the city easier than I can find it upstate. I'm pretty much stuck with mail order if I want something decent.
emil3m

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Vario
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 11:11am

Dayglow Said:

I share your pain but on a different side of the coin, I'm in upstate and every roaster is at least an hour away and anything on the store shelves is too old. I recently was given a pound of Giaco Bean's Winter Town coffee and it was pretty good. I'd imagine you could find that locally in the city easier than I can find it upstate. I'm pretty much stuck with mail order if I want something decent.

Posted May 29, 2013 link

So it's true--the neighbors grass IS greener! :)

Which reminds me--grass is awesome!! Too much concrete in the city!! Ideally, I'd like to have a house upstate and one in the city. Try to beat that rule that everything has trade-offs..

Giaco Bean is a roaster? Never heard of them..

Currently in love with Hayes Valley by Blue Bottle--locally roasted next to my house in Brooklyn
al_bongo

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Grinder: Solis 166/Iberital MC2
Vac Pot: Cona
Drip: Chemex/Melitta
Posted Wed May 29, 2013, 12:00pm

Re Intelli in NYC.

Both Cafe Ost and Kaffe 1668 use Intelli. As far as I can remember 1668 sells beans. Cafe Ost I assume does but it's been a while since I was there.
Dayglow
Dayglow

Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 9:53am

emil3m Said:

So it's true--the neighbors grass IS greener! :)

Which reminds me--grass is awesome!! Too much concrete in the city!! Ideally, I'd like to have a house upstate and one in the city. Try to beat that rule that everything has trade-offs..

Giaco Bean is a roaster? Never heard of them..

Posted May 29, 2013 link

Well we have roasters but it's a trek to get to any of them, so it's not so much that the grass is greener just a different shade of green. I'd gladly take the roasters in the city if I could get their coffee, much more variety. I just wish I could reliably get fresh coffee. I checked the roast dates on some of my local stores offering local roasted beans and they were roasted in December or early this year at best. The only fresh stuff comes from the roaster and even that is often over a week old at best I've found.
Giaco Bean is in Hastings-on-hudson, I've never been there but I tried just the one given bag.
TheSunInsideYou
TheSunInsideYou

Espresso: Breville BES900XL
Grinder: Laranzato HC-600, OE LIDO,...
Vac Pot: Yama 3
Drip: Hario V60, Chemex
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 10:03am

al_bongo Said:

Re Intelli in NYC.

Both Cafe Ost and Kaffe 1668 use Intelli. As far as I can remember 1668 sells beans. Cafe Ost I assume does but it's been a while since I was there.

Posted May 29, 2013 link

1668 does sell whole bean. And Intelli's shop is now open on 20th and 10th in the Highline Hotel. You can pretty much walk past it without having any idea it was there, but if you walk through the courtyard and into the lobby off of 10th, then you'll find a cramped bar that pulls some of the best Intelli shots I've ever had and with pretty solid consistency for being so new. The first time I went there I had one of, if not THE, best shot of black cat I've ever had, which I explained to the barista was self-deprecating because I pull them all day 5-6 days a week. Haha. Definitely worth stopping buy.

They also have whole bean, if that wasn't assumed.

-Dave-
jtsnyc

Espresso: Quickmill Anita
Grinder: Mazzer Mini/Solis Maestro
Drip: Technivorm Thermal KB741
Posted Thu May 30, 2013, 11:21am

Adding names to the list, apologies if they've already been mentioned:

Everyman Espresso is another good spot and I believe they stock Counter Culture whole bean.  Oslo is another pretty good Brooklyn based roaster.

I remember not so long ago when your choices in NYC were 9th Street or 9th Street.  I'm still waiting for more/better options on the UWS, but downtown and Brooklyn have blown up.  It's nice to see.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US East > New York...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.284005880356)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+