Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Carmel/Monterey-area:
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 16 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
alsterling
alsterling
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Thu Oct 16, 2008, 7:25am
Subject: Re: Carmel/Monterey-area:

Ahkorishaan Said:

The guy and gal several of you say are decent at Lumiere are Craig and Amelia.....By the way they only really work evenings.

Posted October 15, 2008 link

Thank you for giving me that insight into the owner's personality. Not being judgmental, as we all have our own "way", but her non-responsive behaviour on the phone is now better understood. Interesting how people can find themselves in a "people business" when they really don't flourish in that type of atmosphere?

About some of the "more interesting people" on the peninsula...Having lived in Monterey for nearly three years, I quickly learned about the quirky types that live up there. When I was looking for an apartment the first few months, I met a couple real nut cases that were renting out their homes. I never forgot my experiences looking for a place. Good example was the gal that was renting out her garage in Pebble Beach.....with a frickin' toilet over in the corner.....no drapes, no nothing, just a toilet, and she said that her renter was welcome to use the shower in the house "anytime they wanted." (you had to be there to appreciate the weirdness of the whole thing). I finally located in North Monterey, very nice apartment complex near the Airport. And the rent was very reasonable. That was when Monterey Joe's was still under the original owner and the food was incredible ('95-'98). M'Joe's was a hidden bargain in Monterey cuisine. Too few tourists knew enough to go to the North end of town; only the locals were wise to it. The Fish Wife on North Fremont, just up from there, is still a great spot, and owned by the same family as the Fish Hopper on the wharf.

Please do me a favor and tell Craig I said hello. He may remember me. I'll be back to the peninsula soon, and since I know he's evenings only, will try and stop for a drink and a chat. He has all the attributes of a very good employee; I can see that he enjoys the "people contact" and the product. Imagine if the ownership could simply take his positive attitude and make it a day and night shift thing!?

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MikeV
MikeV
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Rancilio (stepless) Rocky
Drip: Pour Over
Posted Sun Apr 19, 2009, 2:57pm

To revive an old thread....  Acme in Seaside does a very good job and I can personally recommend them - http://acmecoffeeroasting.com/index.html
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Sat Jan 23, 2010, 9:46pm

Do a Starbucks Barista espresso machine and Illy espresso pods deserve to be mentioned on coffeegeek?

GaryH: Moto-Illy-1a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat Jan 23, 2010, 9:47pm

Well, the Starbucks Barista espresso machine and Illy espresso pods are used in a mobile coffee cart located not just in Monterey, but in the prettiest part of town, right next to the ocean!

GaryH: Moto-Illy-2a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat Jan 23, 2010, 9:47pm

Who can resist not stopping at the cutest coffee house on wheels and have an espresso, even if itís made using Illy pods. Roger uses both a Rancilio Silvia and a Starbucks Barista. He also serves drip coffee.

GaryH: Moto-Illy-3a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat Jan 23, 2010, 9:48pm

Portable gas power generator is used to supply electricity to both espresso machines. Roger told me that he gets more crema from the Illy pods when pulling the espresso on the Starbucks Barista machine. Not sure if this is due to using a pressurized PF. He uses the Rancilio Silvia to steam milk.

GaryH: Moto-Illy-4a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat Jan 23, 2010, 9:49pm

Roger told me that he uses pods since grinding beans is too messy and thus not practical for a small mobile espresso cart. Plenty of crema from the Illy pods. Not sure if this is due to using a pressurized PF.

GaryH: Moto-Illy-5a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat Jan 23, 2010, 9:50pm

The Illy pod espresso does have some carbon taste but has acceptable body and flavor. Still quite enjoyable to consume in such a pretty environment. Since the espresso cart is mobile, you never know when you run into him. http://www.motorespresso.com/

GaryH: Moto-Illy-6a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sun Jan 24, 2010, 7:48am

Gary, I can only hope he is very successful, so that he can buy decent coffee and a better machine . . . then again, if he gets better coffee and a better machine, will the people who made him successful still stop by? or will they think "WTF is this stuff?" and no longer support him???  ;^)

Great van, though!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
Bott

Posted Sun Jan 24, 2010, 10:18am

GaryH Said:

Roger told me that he uses pods since grinding beans is too messy and thus not practical for a small mobile espresso cart. Plenty of crema from the Illy pods. Not sure if this is due to using a pressurized PF.

Posted January 23, 2010 link

those shots don't look right.  is that 3 ounces from one pod?
showing page 16 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.302911996841)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+