Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
new coffee house in San Jose?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > new coffee house...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:45am
Subject: Re: new coffee house in San Jose?

Bellano has this sign on the street advertising lattes, mochas, peppermint and pumpkin spice drinks. But I went back to Bellano on Tuesday 1/23/07 to get these very good double naked Paladino ristrettos.

GaryH: Bellano3.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2007, 11:46am

I had to have another one of those awesome Paladino shots and went back to Bellano on Wednesday 1/24/07. There was a different barista who pulled this Paladino shot using a PF with spouts. Should taste similar (or better?) than the naked pulls but this shot was only 1/3 the quality of the naked shots I got on Monday and Tuesday. Oh well.

GaryH: Bellano4.jpg
(Click for larger image)
mcuff
mcuff

Espresso: Andrea Premium
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Santos
Drip: Aeropress, Plunger, Clever
Roaster: Yea, still getting there...
Posted Thu Jan 25, 2007, 1:48pm

eMocha: I found it yesterday. It's a small shop sandwiched between a jewelry store and a taqueria. Horace Mann elementry school is on the very next block.
I had a very good machiatto pulled on the Linea. Picked up a smoothie for the kid who got a good throat freeze (meaning the kid liked it.)

They are working with a custom blend by Blue Bottle for their espresso shots. They are doing a damned good job with it.  Like Gary said, Better than Barefoot doesn't matter at this point, doing their own thing well is what matters.

They don't sell beans yet, fingers crossed...

-Michael
mcuff
mcuff

Posted Thu Jan 25, 2007, 7:43pm

Also, their espresso blend held up well in the machiatto. I suspect it will also do well in caps.

Some of Blue Bottle's standard blends are somewhat mild and have a difficult time in milk.

-M
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Mon Jan 29, 2007, 12:13pm

I went to Bellano on Monday 1/29/07 and requested both a naked Paladino shot and one pulled with spouts (lower right picture). This time both were very good with nice complexity and chocolate taste. I did like the naked shot a bit better than the spout shot.

GaryH: Bellano5.jpg
(Click for larger image)
JackieChang

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: SI-VII
Grinder: Mazzer mini E
Vac Pot: Hario
Roaster: Hottop P
Posted Wed Feb 14, 2007, 8:46pm

Made it to Bellano yesterday. Great tasting shots. Love to have some time on the Synesso.
jillksy
jillksy
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Fri Feb 16, 2007, 6:28pm

Great! Can't wait to check out these new places!! :-)

Jill S.
mcuff
mcuff

Posted Sat Mar 3, 2007, 11:31pm

Made it to Bellano last mid-afternoon. Ordered a double shot, cappuccino, and an americano.
A very nice young lady was on barista duty. Heard the grinder roar - good sign. Saw a naked portafilter wiped dry before being loaded - very good sign. I did not witness the dosing or shots being pulled. Didn't hear much noise when milk was steaming - a good sign. I saw her pick up the cup and free-pour the capp - very good sign. The americano followed and the shot was prepared last, the right order. Nice crema in the shot, good crema floating on the americano and a beautiful rosetta poured in the capp. As you've read earlier, Bellano is using Paladino from Zoka. It's a bold and dark blend. It takes a few sips to get your palate around it. All three drinks were very tasty and satisfying.  So our young barista has the skilz to rock the Synesso. She etched a drink for another customer that elicited gushing praise and reluctance to a lid on it. I'd like see them bring in an additional blend or two.

Good stuff,
-Michael
Supergriff
Supergriff

Posted Fri Jan 25, 2013, 10:17pm

Bellano was the place that converted me from what I used to think was decent coffee to starting to learn what good coffee really is. I haven't been in much though since Avid opened due to Avid being much closer to me.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > new coffee house...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.432943105698)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+