Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Santa Rosa CA -- Sonoma -- Napa Valley Coffee?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Santa Rosa CA --...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
BitchMidwife

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2007, 4:17am
Subject: Santa Rosa CA -- Sonoma -- Napa Valley Coffee?

Hi All,
Well my travel assignment here on CA's Central Coast is almost done I'm going to Santa Rosa, in CA's other wine country ;), next.  Too bad I don't like wine the  way I do coffee  :)  Any recommendations or suggestions for coffee shops in this area?  Besides Starbucks ... the Bay Area has some of the best coffee so I hope this is also true of the North Bay/wine country area!!!  Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Tue Jun 19, 2007, 8:19am
Subject: Re: Santa Rosa CA -- Sonoma -- Napa Valley Coffee?

When in Santa Rosa, try Flying Goat Coffee on 3rd Street in Railroad Square.  Until I got a roaster, and even now when I'm too lazy to roast, that's where I buy coffee beans (and an occasional latte).  They roast them at their parent location just a few miles north in Healdsburg.
TyMcNulty

Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2007, 1:46pm

You should really go to Sawyers News on 4th street in downtown Santa Rosa there is a little cart inside that uses Ecco Caffe coffees and has always had a great staff everytime I have been. Flying Goat is great cafe but for the best espresso experience in Santa Rosa the Sawyers News cart will always have my vote.
BitchMidwife

Posted Tue Jun 19, 2007, 8:04pm

Thanks for the suggestions.  Will try all of them!  Am looking for great coffee shops to study in; SFBA has the best I've found anywhere, and I hope Santa Rosa has a few of its own!
alsterling
alsterling
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 (Had Expo)
Grinder: Macap M4 & Gaggia MDF
Vac Pot: Not yet...
Drip: Capresso MT-500 & Melitta...
Roaster: Hottop Digital
Posted Sat Jun 23, 2007, 5:41pm

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier. The recommendation linked to Ecco Cafe' is an important one. Andrew Barnett, a very notable member of the Specialty Coffee Industry, has his roasting facility in Santa Rosa. He delivers to one rather well known shop downtown, which may have been mentioned? Regardless, I hope that you found that cafe, as Andrew's blends are some of the best in the USA.....no kidding.

Best, Al in SoCal

Member No.12047 - SCAA
http://www.baristaexchange.com/profile/AlSterling
Warning: Close cover before striking
"Space Available Here for Something Really Prolific"
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SJM

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2007, 9:51am

I would like to hear back if/when anyone else has tried either or both of these locations.  I have been a customer at Flying Goat ever since I discovered it a few years back, and still recommend it highly.  

Per the earlier post on this thread, I tried the cart at Sawyer's News this morning on my way to the Farmers' Market, and while I found the community there and the equipment and the presentation to be excellent, the latte (12 oz double) didn't measure up to what I am used to at FG.  It was fine, but the shot just couldn't hold its own against the milk.  What I treasure at FG is the absolute espresso-ness of even a latte.  The milk is there, but the flavor is still espresso.  The latte this morning was a milk drink with a coffee flavor.  Good, but....not what I am looking for.

Still, if you are  in downtown SR, and don't feel like going over to RR Square, check it out.  It definitely has an excellent ambiance, and the fact that it is in and surrounded by all of the books and magazines that make up Sawyers' is definitely a plus.

Susan
alsterling
alsterling

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2007, 10:59am

Susan, I'm going to guess that you've read the recently reactivated thread on "Monterey/Carmel" in this section. Using a qualified "Coffee Guide" in the San Jose and Santa Cruz area, CG'er Gary, I experienced what I like to refer to as "sweet and smooth" macchiattos. To be fair, I like a bit more than a dollop of froth......I like a tablespoon of milk and as much froth as will fit into the 3.5 oz cup. Summary comment; I had some really good drinks.

An interesting point, not often discussed in the forum as much as coffees, is the milk used. At Blue Bottle in San Francisco, and also at Lulu's in Santa Cruz, they're using Clover Brand (local dairy) full octane homogenized whole milk. I hope I've got it right. Also of interest, and during our trip to Barefoot Roasters in San Jose, was the use of a "high fat content" milk being tested and called "Barista Milk" by the proprietor. Since, from the beginning, I've been using 2% private label market milk, I'm now going to experiment with available milks. (I'm sure there are posts on the forums about this subject.)

I returned to SoCal from the Bay Area last night, and with milk on the mind, had to go to the local market this AM to make a "diaper run" (no pun intended). So in addition to "Newborn Huggies" for our youngest Grandaughter (2 wks old).....got some Alta Dena Dairy (famous local dairy) whole milk. I've been using the store brand 2% up until now. I've been thinking that for milk drinks, there has to be more to it; and a better way. Why fuss over the beans and blends, and then just use any old milk off the shelf?

Susan, maybe part of a definition of a great Latte or Cap or Macchiatto has to include details on the milk?

Best, Al

Member No.12047 - SCAA
SJM

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2007, 11:31am

CLOVER is the best!!!!  

http://cloverstornetta.com/

Any Bay Area shop using anything else is doing a disservice to its customers.
alsterling
alsterling

Posted Sat Jun 30, 2007, 11:36am

Yes, I'm trying to work, but no, I can't pass up going back to the "threads"......

Susan, thanks for the website. They sound very much like Alta Dena. I went to Cal Poly Pomona, Marketing, with one of the daughters from the Alta Dena family. They've resisted the mass merchandising approach to milk since forever, and sound much like Clover.

Best, Al

Member No.12047 - SCAA
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Sat Jun 30, 2007, 10:14pm

I've been to Centro at Sawyers News on 4th street in downtown Santa Rosa many times in the past and visited again on Jun 30, 2007. The downtown area of Santa Rosa has lots of statues from the Peanuts cartoon which are lots of fun to look at. This summer the theme is Snoopy, "Joe Cool".

GaryH: Centro_Jun07_1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Santa Rosa CA --...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.242532014847)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+