Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
ZombieRunner espresso in Palo Alto
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > ZombieRunner...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Sat Nov 29, 2008, 9:07pm
Subject: ZombieRunner espresso in Palo Alto

So I'm walking down California street in Palo Alto, and I see this "Fine Arts" sign. I go inside expecting an arts supply store. Instead I see sport running stuff (The "Fine Arts" apparently is the old movie theatre sign). I'm ready to walk out when I smell coffee! But I don't see a coffee stand.

GaryH: ZombieRunner_1a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat Nov 29, 2008, 9:07pm
Subject: Re: ZombieRunner espresso in Palo Alto

I continue to walk in the store, named ZombieRunner and open for just one month, and I see this Cafe Zombie!

GaryH: ZombieRunner_2a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat Nov 29, 2008, 9:08pm

Don, the co-owner of ZombieRunner, told me he is an espressogeek. Shown here using the Weis Distribution Technique, Don uses a PID Rancilio HX espresso machine to pull ristrettos. He told me the Rancilio will be replaced with a LM FB70 at a later date.

GaryH: ZombieRunner_3a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat Nov 29, 2008, 9:09pm

Third Wave coffee at ZombieRunner! What a pleasant surprise! If it wasn't for me smelling the coffee as I walked in the store, I would have walked out and completely missed it. I had this indian Mysore SO triple 2oz ristretto. Pulled with a naked PF. That really was a nice tasty shot!

GaryH: ZombieRunner_4a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat Nov 29, 2008, 9:09pm

This is the 2oz triple Holiday Blend ristretto. Quite nice and smooth but not as complex as I would like to see in an espresso (maybe because it was a 23gram triple and not a lower dose double ristretto). Don also has a ZombieRunner espresso blend but he wasn't pulling it when I was there.

I asked Don how he came up with the name ZombieRunner. He told me it came to his mind while running at 3am using a flash light to see where he was going. According to the web site, Don runs in races that are 100 miles long. Some races last 24 hours. Crazy if you ask me. Don told me you just have to do it to find out why this is a worthwhile thing to do (no thanks). Still very interesting to read all about ultrarunning. http://www.zombierunner.com/

GaryH: ZombieRunner_5a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat Nov 29, 2008, 9:11pm

I bought a 12oz bag of Yirg which was roasted by moksha five days before. Not recommended to be used to make espressos, but pulled some double shots anyway on my Zaffiro which were smooth and nice floral but too acidic due to the light roast.

GaryH: Zombierunner_Yirg_1a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat Nov 29, 2008, 9:12pm

The Yirg did make for a very nice floral coffee using the Chemex. I ground the beans on my Rocky using a setting of 30 steps above the burrs touching. Pour 200F water on the grounds to make it bloom. Wait 30 seconds. Continue pouring hot water. 14oz coffee brewed in 3 minutes. Good stuff!

GaryH: ZombieRunner_Yirg_Chemex_1a
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Thu Dec 4, 2008, 10:09am

Don is a software engineer, and he runs the Zombie Runner trail running store, and since he likes coffee he also runs this Zombie cafe. How do some people manage to do all that? Don made this 14oz latte with art using organic Clover milk. Nice perfect temperature microfoam, though the steamed milk was not as sweet as I would like to see in a latte. The Indian Mysore 2oz triple ristretto cut very well through the milk and the latte was nice with plenty of good coffee taste.

GaryH: ZombieRunner_6a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008, 12:59am

Vikram, the owner and roaster of Moksha coffee roasting, was at Cafe Zombie and brought along a box full with all kinds of different roasted coffees http://mokshacoffeeroasting.com/roasting.html . I was fortunate to get to the taste a Colombian, Costa Rica, Sidamo, and Italian blend, all pulled as espresso. Coffee beans were about four to five days after roast. This collage shows Vikram smelling the dry aroma of the roasted Colombian beans. Ristretto pulled with these beans came out too acidic for my taste.

GaryH: ZombieRunner_Colombian1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Dec 7, 2008, 1:00am

The Costa Rica S.O. ristretto doesn’t look very interesting but it had wonderful acidity that complimented the ristretto flavor very well. Nice shot! Don also made a nice and tasty short cappa with a Costa Rica ristretto.

GaryH: ZombieRunner_Costa_Rica1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > ZombieRunner...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.295244932175)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+