Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
espresso profeta in westwood?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > espresso profeta...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Sat Dec 10, 2011, 9:06am
Subject: Re: espresso profeta in westwood?

I had a wtf moment this morning: on my way to work, decide to stop by Profeta for the first time. I'm in a hurry, but find parking immediately in front; I walk in, and right up to the counter, no line. Everything is going better than expected. I ask for a double espresso, and as the barista reaches for the porcelain, I say 'to go'. He says 'no problem, but we add a little water to make it an Italiano'.

Me: ?? Uh, no, I just want a double espresso.

Him: We don't do espresso to go, only Italiano.

Me: OK, just hold the water.

Him: Uh, no, we don't do that.

The other guy behind the counter, the manager or owner, chimed in with 'yeah, we don't do that'.

Me: I'll pass, then.

I'll admit, I stalked out with a 'jesus f**k' muttered under my breath. I would've stayed and asked why, but if I had had time to stay, I would've had time to sip a fracking espresso from porcelain, right? Sorry, but the experience was mega-fail, and I'm not sure I'd go back. I can't fathom why they'll do 'Italiano' in paper, but not espresso. Seriously, guys, you're cresting the tip of that 3rd wave you surfed in on, and you're about to slide down the back side.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JimWright

Espresso: LM GS/3, Estro Profi
Grinder: Macap M7KR
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Other: Eva Solo, Press Pot
Posted Sat Dec 10, 2011, 11:28am

Could be the "won't serve a product we won't stand behind" thing, or could be the "ghetto latte" folks complain about with people getting an espresso to go and adding a full cup of milk on top (though this is easily avoidable with short to go cups if that was really an issue - there has been some intense debate on this point in years past).  I absolutely love the place, perhaps my favorite cafe anywhere, but yes, this would rub me the wrong way.  Fortunately, I always have time for an espresso since it usually takes me less than 3 minutes (if not less than one for one their ristrettos) to drink it.
 View Profile Link to this post
poison
poison

Posted Sat Dec 10, 2011, 1:45pm

I understand the ghetto latte thing...but like you said, that's why paper espresso cups were invented. Smart and Final, $7.  And seriously, I don't fit the 'ghetto latte' demographic, and no one was around; wouldn't you just say 'ok, we usually don't, but here', instead of losing a customer? I REALLY hope it isn't some misguided, elitist 'but the paper cup ruins the flavor' bs.

Bottom line: the idea of dumping water in my espresso is ridiculous, no matter the reason, particularly when the location is called 'Espresso Profeta'. "Hi, we serve espresso, but you can't have one!". Lulz.
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sat Dec 10, 2011, 4:55pm

JimWright Said:

Could be the "won't serve a product we won't stand behind" thing, or could be the "ghetto latte" folks complain about.

Posted December 10, 2011 link

Correct. A coffee bar that refuses to serve a drink they wouldn't be proud of is also serving notice that they are not a fast food vendor and take their work as seriously as a fine chef does his. This approach may not work in all markets, but it has been hugely successful in many, including Los Angeles, where some purist bars have long lines night and day.

And it's not just coffee. Chef Nozawa is reputed to throw anyone who orders a California roll out of his restaurant. The respect this reputation earns him (even if it isn't quite true) more than offsets any disappointed customers he loses and contributes to the long lines at Sushi Nozawa.
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Sat Dec 10, 2011, 5:41pm

MarshallF Said:

Correct. A coffee bar that refuses to serve a drink they wouldn't be proud of is also serving notice that they are not a fast food vendor and take their work as seriously as a fine chef does his. This approach may not work in all markets, but it has been hugely successful in many, including Los Angeles, where some purist bars have long lines night and day.

they are obviously "fast food" enough to serve drinks to go and have a need for paper cups. how does adding water to espresso make it better than espresso? how would a bar be rated if they refused to serve their scotch straight?

And it's not just coffee. Chef Nozawa is reputed to throw anyone who orders a California roll out of his restaurant. The respect this reputation earns him (even if it isn't quite true) more than offsets any disappointed customers he loses and contributes to the long lines at Sushi Nozawa.

is the california roll on the menu? are they "known" for their california rolls?

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
poison
poison

Posted Sat Dec 10, 2011, 6:33pm

MarshallF Said:

Do you add hot water every time you pull a godshot, and are you proud of it?

I didn't order some bastardized fivebuck's pumpkin half-whatever junk. I ordered the most focused, pure coffee drink possible (with irony, I might add, while thumbing through my copy of Dwell); you know, the one they're supposedly known for, and they wanted to muck it up.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sat Dec 10, 2011, 7:40pm

Success in any business is about customer service. Period. Yes, you can stay in business if you don't care. Starblechs does. But then they aren't known for quality.

IF you have a reason behind saying 'no' to a customer, you have to explain the why. If you can't be bothered, then you are too bloody snooty for my tastes and I will go elsewhere. If I'm well taken care of, I'll go back.

It's pretty simple.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
JimWright

Espresso: LM GS/3, Estro Profi
Grinder: Macap M7KR
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Other: Eva Solo, Press Pot
Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:08am

Well, this one issue aside (and this doesn't really affect me, I basically always order a shot and a breve latte and even if I'm on my way out I take the shot for here and the latte to go), I have found their service impeccable as well as their coffee being the most consistently excellent of any cafe I frequent with enough regularity to make a judgment.  

Methinks this will be more than enough to keep Mitch successful - the number of people who want a ristretto (which only takes seconds to drink as it is) served in a paper cup is simply not that high.
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:25am

poison Said:

I didn't order some bastardized fivebuck's pumpkin half-whatever junk. I ordered the most focused, pure coffee drink possible (with irony, I might add, while thumbing through my copy of Dwell); you know, the one they're supposedly known for, and they wanted to muck it up.

It's always tough to imagine that, while you are looking down your nose at someone else's taste (the pumpkin latte drinker's), someone else is looking at yours the same way. Don't take it too hard. It happens all the time.
the_coffee_nazi
the_coffee_nazi

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Macap M4, Barazta Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:44am

I was in the shop a while ago when someone ordered 2 shots to go and they wouldn't do it. The customer left without their fix and I was scratching my head.  An explanation would have helped (or a sign with an explanation). I mean, I would understand more if they didn't do it all, but they serve other drinks to go, so why not the holy grail? It reminds me of the xtranormal animation that was posted a while ago, where the Starbucks customer (obviously an aficionado) asked if they make shots to go. The employee said "sure, I don't care how you drink your coffee". (The customer turned up his nose). If the customer wants his drink to go, to drink there, or poured directly into his/her mouth, who cares? (we're not talking about some high end LA restaurant with a celebrity chef).

I really don't think it's snootiness on their part, who unless someone from there posts, I guess we won't know for sure.  

On the other hand, if I'm in pursuit of great coffee, a snooty barista isn't going to stand in my way! :-))

Steve

No Coffee for you!
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > espresso profeta...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.323991060257)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+