Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Carmel/Monterey-area:
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 20 of 20 first page previous page
Author Messages
vertigo

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Wed Aug 18, 2010, 10:44am
Subject: Re: Carmel/Monterey-area: Salinas has no "competent specialty coffee retailers."

Hey Gary.
It was good to see you. Thanks for the critique, we need to hear more of that, especially the things that are not quite up to par yet. We're in an ongoing, seemingly unending training mode but are slowly getting there.
Dirty espresso...I've noticed that from time to time. What causes that and how do we fix it. (Anyone, please jump in)

Dmitri
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Wed Aug 18, 2010, 10:52am
Subject: Re: Carmel/Monterey-area: Salinas has no "competent specialty coffee retailers."

GaryH Said:

. . . Dmitri told me that he has lighter and darker roasted beans and this espresso was pulled with the darker roast which he used because it cuts well through the milk and most customers order milk based coffee drinks.

Posted August 16, 2010 link

Actually, this makes a good deal of sense to me.  Using a Swift is a limiting factor, but it would/might be a nice to pull straight shots with the lighter roast, and make the milk drinks with the darker roast . . . .

Just a random thought.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Aug 18, 2010, 7:24pm

vertigo Said:

Dirty espresso...I've noticed that from time to time. What causes that and how do we fix it.

Posted August 18, 2010 link

Dirty generally refers to bad flavors due defects in the coffee beans. To some people an unwashed coffee or a natural processed coffee tastes dirty. In my previous post I should have used the words, "the espresso flavor made me feel dirty". I get that from the wonderful description of Blue Bottle Yemen contrasting it to a clean tasting coffee,"Yemen, you might not like it. Lovers of clean, snappy costa ricans, or colombians might consider drinking a cup of yemen uncomfortably similar to being picked up by the lapels, shaken, then tossed into a grimy manhattan snow bank". I've made press pot coffee and espresso with Blue Bottle Yemen and that is exactly how I felt after drinking it, dirty, and I liked it!

Here's info from a blog about dirty coffee flavor.
Click Here (godshot.blogspot.com)

GaryH: BB-Yemen.JPG
(Click for larger image)
vertigo

Posted Fri Aug 20, 2010, 6:45am

Well, Yemen is Yemen. Could there  be a different cause? Coffees in the blend are Dattera peaberry pearl, Finca El Injerto and Sidamo Guji. All three cupping very clean.

Dmitri
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Sep 26, 2010, 1:45pm

With the hot weather in the Bay Area this weekend I went to Monterey to visit the Pacific ocean and drove past San Juan Bautista and got to visit Vertigo again. Dmitri told me that he still uses the same coffees in his blend, but currently stops the roasting process 7F cooler. The results were amazing. Gone are the roast flavors and the espresso had nice dark chocolate with clean fruit flavors and nice acidity. Espresso looked better too.

GaryH: Vertigo-Sept2010-1.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Sep 26, 2010, 1:45pm

One more espresso at Vertigo coffee. Good shot with great fruit flavors. Very nice to get a good shot in such a small town.

GaryH: Vertigo-Sept2010-2.jpg
(Click for larger image)
kopidrinker

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: SS Saeco Aroma w/ NPPF
Grinder: Compak K5, Maestro Plus
Drip: Melitta 10 cup manual,...
Posted Sun Oct 24, 2010, 11:00pm
Subject: Re: Carmel/Monterey-area:

With the recommendations from this thread, I decided and got a chance to visit Cafe Lumiere and Vertigo today. Finally, I've found good and drinkable coffee in the Monterey area!  
If I really had to call it, I would say I enjoyed the cap I had at Vertigo more than Lumiere. Lumiere's coffee seems like it was roasted pretty dark, as there was a hint of ash/smoke in the finish. Still pretty enjoyable though, wtih good microfoam. Food looked decent too, but didn't partake since I've just had breakfast.
Vertigo's cap was one of the more unusual caps I've had. Dmitri admitted to using some Indian in the blend. I think this is great. Having tasted Malabar Gold before, I thought that it was too spicy, and yes, dirty, if you will. However, the amount in the Monks Momentum blend gave it just enough spice, but not too dirty or old leather. Nice balance. I guess like the critic in the movie ratatouille, this cup took me back to the good memories of coffee I grew up with growing up in Asia.
Not saying it was better or worse than the usual fruity tendencies of many third wave offerings, but certainly a welcome alternative.
vertigo

Posted Thu Oct 28, 2010, 10:27am

Thanks for stopping by. Yes I think Indian coffees can be great in an espresso blend in a small percentage. Of course as soon as you mention India, Malabar comes up, monsoon-ed or otherwise. There are other Indian coffees out there. Ours is Jasmine  estate,  Yellikudige.

Dmitri
sreraku

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Jan 8, 2012, 7:49pm

Here is my experience with Lumiere/Plumes

Plumes: is just yuck. I dont understand why they need nuvoa Simonelli if they are doing as in the picture!!

Lumiere: The cap was very bitter. I couldnt drink after 2 sips. I dont know whats happening with them. When I saw the extraction, water leaked from group head (maybe they require servicing!!). The barista was good and did some good latte art. When I asked about the beans she responded that they are acme (first time tasted their beans). Surprisingly, I saw that the grinder hopper didnt have any beans and looks like they grind beans ahead of time which really freaked me out. I dont know how it was earlier but personally(I am not a coffee expert but I want my coffee not to taste bitter) I will give a big thumbs down for this. Maybe there is not much crowd but thats just my guess.

On my way back to bay area, I took a coffee break (I was craving for this since friday) in santa cruz at none other than verve (Always top notch coffee). I was requesting them to open a shop.  I also felt they didnt give proper attention to me when I mentioned about opening their shop in monterey/carmel area. Hopefully they will hear the plight of the coffee lovers and oblige.

/sreraku

sreraku: plumes_yuck.jpg
(Click for larger image)
RoyceRuiz

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Jan 29, 2013, 4:56pm

Anything new?  Its been over a year since anything was posted here.  I still am looking for something good in Monterey.  I live in Hollister and get almost all of my coffee from Vertigo (San Juan) but frequently find myself in Monterey and have nowhere to stop.  Please tell me something decent has opened that I haven't found.
showing page 20 of 20 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282458782196)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+