Regional: United States West
Carmel/Monterey-area:
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > ...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 17 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sun Jan 24, 2010, 1:15pm
Subject: Re: Carmel/Monterey-area:

GaryH Said:

Do a Starbucks Barista espresso machine and Illy espresso pods deserve to be mentioned on coffeegeek?

Posted January 23, 2010 link

Gary, your standards are slipping.

Maybe your starting to see my point that you have to adjust your expectations based on location.

-Chris

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Sun Jan 24, 2010, 2:07pm

yakster Said:

Maybe your starting to see my point that you have to adjust your expectations based on location.

Posted January 24, 2010 link

I see your point. Since TW coffee houses like Barefoot don't have a coffee cart right next to the Monterey coast, I know I have to lower my expectations to what's there. Still the Illy pod espresso tasted better than espressos I've had from Carmel Valley Coffee Roasters. While I was in Monterey it was definately fun to check out the cute coffee cart, chat with the barista owner who knows Barefoot, and have a decent Illy pod espresso while enjoying the outdoors on the pretty Monterey coast, which is a much nicer location compared to central valley. Sure, the Illy pod espresso isn't TW, but the overall espresso experience was nice.
 View Profile Link to this post
EvanPatton

Espresso: Quickmill Vetrano
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Bodum press pot
Drip: Mr. Coffee
Posted Sun Jan 24, 2010, 5:25pm

I remember a great (at the time) coffee place about two blocks from Portola Plaza before you get to Brittania Arms (it's on a side street).  Of course, I don't remember the name or address, but I do remember the coffee.  I first went there about 2002 and it was still there in 2008.  It was the first place I ever saw that made individual cups of drip coffee.

It may be this place:
http://www.montereylumiere.com/

The location is close to what I remember anyway.  Their website says they use coffee from Acme, a local roaster and have a LM machine.
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sun Jan 24, 2010, 10:52pm

EvanPatton Said:

It may be this place:
http://www.montereylumiere.com/

The location is close to what I remember anyway.  Their website says they use coffee from Acme, a local roaster and have a LM machine.

Posted January 24, 2010 link

Lumiere coffee house was discussed on page 13 of this thread, and Acme on page 11. Before Lumiere, Cafe Noir was in that location pulling shots with Intelligentsia Black Cat, page 3 and 6.
MotoAmore
MotoAmore
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Rancilio
Drip: Hario
Posted Wed Jan 27, 2010, 12:44am

Thank you for understanding the realistic limitations to a mobile coffee shop on top of a Vespa-Bajaj scooter. It's not that I can't appreciate the normal grind, tamp and pulling shots, to the contrary. I have served to people from Europe and around the world and had nothing but good comments. I use Monterey's ESTATE COFFEE's and normally a single origin drip grind from Brazil with ceramic, Hario drip cones. The coffee is good. The business is good. The business is fun, I love coffee and it's at the beach in Monterey! Who could ask for more?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
goodcoffeeroaster

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Thu Feb 18, 2010, 4:23pm

Roger is awesome and has the best Brazil drip coffee west of the Misissippi. If you need a shop no one in the area can beat Acme, Larry is great and knows his stuff. Carmel Valley is awful, if you want burnt coffee and a belly ache thats were you go.
goodcoffeeroaster

Posted Wed Feb 24, 2010, 4:30pm

Also if you are in Salinas, dodge the flying bullets and head to main street, there you will find Rollicks, awesome coffee
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Wed Feb 24, 2010, 10:15pm

goodcoffeeroaster Said:

Also if you are in Salinas, dodge the flying bullets and head to main street, there you will find Rollicks, awesome coffee

Posted February 24, 2010 link

You recommend Acme, I've been there too (p11 this thread). Acme has good reviews on yelp. I've not been to Rollicks but reviews on yelp are not good, so I would expect Rollicks to fall far short of coffeegeek standards. Doing a search on Google doesn't bring up anything about Rollicks and good espresso. Your recommendation for Rollicks is puzzling.
goodcoffeeroaster

Posted Thu Feb 25, 2010, 3:00pm

lets just say I have inside info. if you rely on google to find out if evrything is good or bad you might need to redirect.
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Thu Feb 25, 2010, 9:24pm

goodcoffeeroaster Said:

lets just say I have inside info. if you rely on google to find out if everything is good or bad you might need to redirect.

Posted February 25, 2010 link

So someone told you Rollicks has good espresso or have you actually tasted it? I haven't read anything about Rollicks on any coffee blog. But I love visiting coffee houses so next time I'm going to Monterey I'll drive by Rollicks in Salinas to see if their espresso will caress my tongue or kick me in the stomach. I'm expecting the latter.
showing page 17 of 20 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > ...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.303241014481)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+