Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Any Kona coffee farms or related on Coffee Geek?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Any Kona coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
CJevens

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2011, 1:50pm
Subject: Any Kona coffee farms or related on Coffee Geek?

After many repeat trips to Kona, Hawai'i, we have fallen in love with the mild beans of the big island. My family is planning another trip and wishes to tour some farms this summer. Hoping to maybe get recommendations or make a connection here.

Thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Mon Jun 20, 2011, 2:44pm
Subject: Re: Any Kona coffee farms or related on Coffee Geek?

Hi Colin,

Welcome to the Coffeegeek forums! {;-)

I can recommend Smithfarms & Cea Smith is Coffeegeek member kopepua on the forums here. They don't do tours per se, but I'm sure that you could stop in for a visit.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Mon Jun 20, 2011, 2:59pm

CJevens Said:

After many repeat trips to Kona, Hawai'i, we have fallen in love with the mild beans of the big island. My family is planning another trip and wishes to tour some farms this summer. Hoping to maybe get recommendations or make a connection here.

Thanks.

Posted June 20, 2011 link

www.Huladaddy.com

Please go to their website; location and visitation stuff is there.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
konacoffeefarmer
konacoffeefarmer

Posted Mon Jun 20, 2011, 3:55pm

Best to spread a few visits out over a few days. If you are a family with small kids, you don't want to stress them too much with 'booooring talk'. We normally intersperse some action for them to keep them from getting cranky ( petting our goat, feeding the koi, making a 'snow angel' in the drying coffee parchment, discovering a little cave, etc)

Check out a large farm: Greenwell Farms in Kealakekua is the best of the larger farms. An authentic active farm with weekend tours. Right next to the Kona Historical Society with a bread baking oven. On Thursday mornings you can actually help making your portugese bread there!

Of the medium farms PelePlantations represents their own but also neighbors coffees. They are in Honaunau. Both locations are close to the Kealakekua BAy and the City of Refuge, great places to visit for the scenery or to snorkel & swim.

Even that it is a tad expensive, visit the Kona Coffee Historical Farm! Click Here (www.konahistorical.org)
They give you a little re-enactment of the heydays of Kona coffee in 1920 in a restored old Japanese farm house and garden. Also in Kealakekua. Very idyllic.

More small Kona coffee farms to visit you can find on the http://www.konacoffeefarmers.org website. Some do, some don't give tours.

Overall we Kona coffee farmers are a peculiar bunch. A while back I wrote a little article about us: Click Here (coffee.bc.ca)

Enjoy!
kopepua
kopepua

Grinder: yes-Bunn  G3
Drip: yes
Roaster: yes- fluid bed
Posted Sun Jun 26, 2011, 9:12pm

Thank you Criag.  It has been a LONG while since I have been here, but I really appreciate your thinking of us.  Hope you are doing fantastically!  warmest aloha, Cea
kopepua
kopepua

Grinder: yes-Bunn  G3
Drip: yes
Roaster: yes- fluid bed
Posted Sun Jun 26, 2011, 9:16pm

Thank you Joachim too!  The Farmer's group is at KonaCoffeeFarmers.org- yes a too long name but I didn't think it up.  I appreciate your generosity in suggesting people look at the list of BUY DIRECT farmers.

aloha to my neighbor down the highway

PS Joachim was a founder of the Kona Coffee Farmers Association and did our important logo work as well!
CJevens

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 6:41pm

Thank you all for the responses. I guess I have been very busy and have not followed up as I would have liked to.

We delayed our trip twice as a family member had health issues and we wished to stay and assist. This actually worked out for the best as we were able to visit later in the year when we had far more time to get away and made it a 5 week visit. This was also helped by the fortunate opportunity to stay on a farm and help with day to day tasks. What an amazing experience this was. Not only is Kona just an amazing place to visit, but we met wonderful people.  The few days we were able to sneak away to the beach, were so much better after working on the farm.  

We were not able to make it to see Cea and Smith farms but have connected via email. We were also too busy to make it to Hula Daddy, but again have connected via email. We hope to see both of these farms later this year. We did how ever get to spend the morning with Joachim and thoroughly enjoyed the time that he took to spend with us personally.  

Over all we worked primarily on Pele Plantations and did a few days helping out at Dragon's Lair.  We visited about 20 farms in total.  It was very interesting to see how each farm processes their coffee. Some more than others. Some so much so that they offer processing services. Each farm had unique topography, some were rolling terrain and others fairly steep. Some had soil and others were just rocks. Many 'rock farms' have produced award winning coffee. Some hosted Woofers (volunteer helpers) and others either had hired help or did everything themselves. Whew !

We learned so much about coffee and it's life cycle and continue to learn more.  We are very thankful that the people we met were open and willing to answer our questions and to be kind enough to allow us into their world. For some farms, the tours can be disruptive to the daily work flow. We were very happy to get a slice of their time and see what they do to make wonderful coffee. Some of the farms also cultivate fruits, veggies, and cacao to create chocolate.  We found this diversity to be very interesting.

We enjoyed our exploration so much that we have been busy for the last year, selling all of our worldly things, preparing to sell our home and relocating to South Kona to engage in the art of coffee cultivation. We have seen the incredible amount of work and dedication that is necessary and are ready for the challenge. Many of the farmers we spoke to painted a picture depicting the 'worst case' scenario to gauge if we had a grasp on the reality of this endeavor.  I think we are ready. Deep breath.

One year later and we are but a couple months away from departure.  Expect a full report as we have more info to share.

Cheers.

CJevens: 2011-12-24 12.38.25_Ripe cherries_Cropped_250pix.jpg
(Click for larger image)
CJevens

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 6:54pm

My favourite task was roasting. It just smelled amazing. Taking the beans from grassy to yummy created a collage of aromas that I can not wait to be immersed in again.
I am using a sivetz air roaster. Firing it up sounds like a jet engine coming to life.

For those that are unaware, my hand is on a control that reduces voltage to the blowers. As the beans lose water weight, the air volume must be reduced to keep the beans tumbling in the chamber. Not making this adjustment, and the beans will just start to take flight out of the machine.  I am watching the top of the chamber to eye the top of the bean 'spout'.

One of the machines started to act up and I had the opportunity to tear it apart, make an electrical repair and bring it back online. Not fun, but fairly straight forward.

CJevens: 2011-12-12 10.52.24_Colin roasting_600px.jpg
(Click for larger image)
CJevens

Posted Thu May 2, 2013, 7:01pm

Every morning, once the sun was over the mountain and it didnt look like rain was imminent, I would open the dry deck.  The 40' roof assembly on wheels does not like to roll open willingly. It takes a lot of effort to get it to budge.  Regular raking of the parchment was necessary in order to get even drying.

CJevens: 2011-12-17 09.35.40_Pele Dry Deck_Panorama_800px.jpg
(Click for larger image)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Any Kona coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.388802051544)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+