Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Portola Coffee in Orange County has a new location and website
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Portola Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
philopsych

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Krups Mini (steam)
Grinder: Baratza Virtuoso
Vac Pot: AeroPress
Drip: Melitta cone
Roaster: n/a
Posted Thu Aug 4, 2011, 1:02pm
Subject: Re: Portola Coffee in Orange County has a new location and website

Yes, the roaster's name is Jeff.  He is the owner.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Thu Aug 4, 2011, 6:07pm

And yes, his sister is a nurse who works with me. I've not gone down there yet, haven't been able to make it. She's brought coffee in though and I've brewed it. Can't wait to go down there some day soon myself.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sat Aug 20, 2011, 5:09pm

Actually their are two Roasters, both are named Jeff, but only 1 is the owner.

I took the plunge and drove the 55 miles yesterday just to see the place. It was pretty noisy with all the construction going on but they had a steady business.

I had Tanzanian Peaberry in the hario and it was good. Tanzanian Peaberry is rarely special but it was as good as what I have had at Intelligentsia or from Ecco.

I wandered around and looked and ogled at the roaster, then wandered off for a quiet place to take a conference call for work. Came back and decided to try a mocha. It was good. They make the ganache on site. They put the chocolate in first and pulled the house espresso right into it from the bottomless portafilter on the slayer. They then added perfect milk and made nice art. They did not pollute it with whipped cream like so many places do.

I would have liked a little more coffee to it, 3 shots is good, 4 is too many and a double from the slayer is really a quad. That is a disadvantage I think. The barista was nice and knew his products as did the Jeff (non-owner Jeff) that was there. There was also a female barista behind the counter and she seemed a bit sloppier than she could have been.

I do have a pic of the mocha but it is still in the camera and I'm a bit lazy.

Next door is an olive store that has some nice oils and vinegars if that is your thing as well. Good gifts for foodie friends. (And a spice shop is coming near by.)

It is far enough away for me to not be a regular drive but I will go back down in the fall because there will be some good Yule shopping places in there when it is done.

do you game?:
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 12:15pm

I had a chance to visit the Portola Coffee Lab in the OC Mart Mix last week while in Orange County.  They were pretty busy and I only had a chance to try a couple of drinks, but they had an impressive array of coffee brewing gadgets and a good library of books for sale.  I had a Malawi on the Trifecta and a macchiato.  I have a blog post about this visit here

yakster: PCL.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun Dec 9, 2012, 8:49pm

Portola has a new feature, it's called Theorum.

http://www.portolacoffeelab.com/theorem

Best to read about it.

Haven't tried it yet, takes reservations, going on Thursday when my daughter is down.

Owners sister says it's really cool.

do you game?:
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Fri Dec 14, 2012, 6:07am

Okay we went late yesterday afternoon.

The presentation area seats up to 6 and has a menu of three items they make for each week. It's all based around one coffee. This one was based around their holiday blend. It's a 2/3 El Salvador and 1/3 Worka blend.

The presentation time is an hour. It starts, sort of like watching a Barista competition where you are sitting in the judges seat with him introducing himself and telling you about the coffee he is serving and it's characteristics.

This was sort of unusual since, in honor of being named for Amundsen, who discovered the south pole, it was done primarily with a cold brewed coffee.

The first remove was a duality of the same coffee with the same ratio served from the cold brew at slightly above refrigerator temperature and it served hot from a Chemex.  All the time he is talking about the difference in hot and cold brew and how it brings out different qualities. We talked about cold brew in general while sampling the duality.

The second, served in a very tall skinny glass, was made by lightly steaming a ratio of 90% cold brewed coffee and 10% milk so that what was served as light in color and has a bit of light foam header. I would say it was served at slightly less than body temperature and it almost had a caramel taste to me.

The third and last remove, the coffee was put in one of those fancy gadgets that carbonate it. It was blended with a simple syrup that had been infused with about '14' herbs and citruses. And then it was served in basically and old fashioned glass over an iceberg, a large ice cube.

It was a pretty neat experience and unique to anything I had ever tried before. It's not cheap. It's 25 a pop for each person attending, and it requires reservations. My daughter told me that she wants to come down from San Jose and try it again next year.

She was very sad that the 3rd remove, the carbonated drink, that it was the only time she would ever taste it. She wanted more.

Afterwards we walked over to Iron Press for beer and waffles but that's for a different post, somewhere else.

do you game?:
espressophile
espressophile

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Innova
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012, 3:43pm

Going to be in the area next week and have plans to be at Portola on Thursday evening.  Anyone have recs on brew methods to try or should I just order what I'm feeling at the moment?  How's the Trifecta?

looking for signs in the sky
following ghosts, following visions

http://www.twitter.com/espressophile - the every espresso project
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
MrSnoot
MrSnoot
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, Baratza...
Drip: V60, Chemex
Posted Sat Dec 29, 2012, 11:15am

I visit southern Orange County to see family often and I'm glad this location is open.  

I consider myself spoiled since I live in Brooklyn and have Toby's Estate, Variety, Sweet Leaf, Blue Bottle, café Grumpy, Gimme Coffee + more within a 15 minute walk of me.  I often go a bit further to hit up Marlow and Sons for their George Howell's Terroir and Everyman Espresso in the city for outstanding baristas working with Counter Culture.  

I have to say that Portola is doing a swell job the handful of times I have been the baristas seemed well trained.
yakster
yakster

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Jan 3, 2013, 2:34pm

I stopped in to Portola Coffee Lab the afternoon of New Years Eve with my Father for coffee and espresso.  I got my dad a Trifecta of the Guatemala they had and I took the El Salvador in the Trifecta and their house espresso.  The coffee and espresso was good, the baristas friendly and engaging, and the line long.

yakster: Portola.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
auxpomme

Posted Fri Jan 4, 2013, 1:08pm

hoping to hit them up on sunday. hopefully they're not still wearing stupid white lab coats.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Portola Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.44299697876)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+