Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Albuquerque NM coffee? (Is NM west or central US here?)
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Albuquerque NM...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
BitchMidwife

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 1, 2011, 8:49pm
Subject: Albuquerque NM coffee? (Is NM west or central US here?)

Hi all,
Any recommendations for Albuquerque NM re: coffee houses? I am not impressed with Satellite or this other little coffee house on Silver in that same Central Ave. neighborhood (forgot the name). Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema D92/A1 Smart
Grinder: B VARIO, Krups Conic
Drip: Manual Pour-Over, Bodum...
Roaster: Redbird, Metropolis
Posted Thu Nov 17, 2011, 1:33pm
Subject: Re: Albuquerque NM coffee? (Is NM west or central US here?)

BitchMidwife Said:

Hi all,
Any recommendations for Albuquerque NM re: coffee houses? I am not impressed with Satellite or this other little coffee house on Silver in that same Central Ave. neighborhood (forgot the name). Thanks!

Posted November 1, 2011 link

Honestly there aren't any that can pull a shot.

If you want good local beans though, Michael Thomas is the way to go.

-James

Load and Lock.
knotthead17

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011, 10:00am

So... Just visited Abq. yesterday and there is in fact good espresso there! I tried Michaels, Flying star (two locations), Satellite,  a random gelatto store, the grove, and Giuseppe's.

Michaels - After looking online I assumed this is probably the best Abq. has to offer. Wrong. They have the equipment, the beans are inconsistant there is little skill in the baristas. They are training to offer pour overs, and even though they are not aloud to serve it yet because Michael hasn't approved it yet I convinced them to try one. It was the best I've had from there yet. How can Michael approve undrinkable espresso and not serve the best thing he's got going for that place?

Satellite - Just another uneventful flop.

Flying star - Wasted my time, so I'm not going to waste yours. Don't do it.

The random gelatto place in Nob Hill was and is close to a good shot. He has the equipment and the skill. If someone can convince him to find good beans this place could be very good! Third best, but not on the same level as one and two.

After giving up on coffee we visited the grove restaurant and market down town. What did I find proudly displayed on their counter? Intelligentsia. Nice. Don't be fooled this is a coffee shop disguised as a restaurant! Don't get me wrong, this has been my favoriate food in Abq. to date. Local, fresh, delish. A must go kind of place. Second to one...

Giuseppe's - "This is the little one on silver." Best in town. They have two locations--I only visited one. This is espresso done well.
BitchMidwife

Posted Mon Nov 28, 2011, 10:29am

Hi knothead,

Thanks for your input - your experiences are the same as mine! Satellite and Flying Star coffee, although consistently rated high by the locals, sucks. Flying Star food is too expensive and OK but not great.

The Grove does have great sandwiches and breakfasts. I also noted the Intelligensia - this is the only place in ABQ I found it. Some days the house cup is great, others not so great. But they close at 3p so it is not a good place to go in the afternoon to sit and read or write.

Haven't tried Michael's yet. They are open a bit later, though.

I probably tried the same gelato store you did (across Central in Nob Hill from the Starbucks). It was OK but not a good ambience to sit for awhile and read. Plus, parking meters!

BTW the Starbucks on Central in Nob Hill has *one* thing going for it - a fabulous outdoor patio (weather permitting) and from the inside, a fireplace, and view of the Sandia (*if* you can find a seat!).

My favorite so far is Giuseppes, right behind the Nob Hill shopping center - great ambiance, great coffee, free street parking! But they close at 6p! :( It costs a bit more than the other places, but ... the lattes were delicious.

Thanks for all the input.
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema D92/A1 Smart
Grinder: B VARIO, Krups Conic
Drip: Manual Pour-Over, Bodum...
Roaster: Redbird, Metropolis
Posted Sat Dec 3, 2011, 9:34pm

knotthead17 Said:

So... Just visited Abq. yesterday and there is in fact good espresso there! I tried Michaels, Flying star (two locations), Satellite,  a random gelatto store, the grove, and Giuseppe's.

Michaels - After looking online I assumed this is probably the best Abq. has to offer. Wrong. They have the equipment, the beans are inconsistant there is little skill in the baristas. They are training to offer pour overs, and even though they are not aloud to serve it yet because Michael hasn't approved it yet I convinced them to try one. It was the best I've had from there yet. How can Michael approve undrinkable espresso and not serve the best thing he's got going for that place?

Satellite - Just another uneventful flop.

Flying star - Wasted my time, so I'm not going to waste yours. Don't do it.

The random gelatto place in Nob Hill was and is close to a good shot. He has the equipment and the skill. If someone can convince him to find good beans this place could be very good! Third best, but not on the same level as one and two.

After giving up on coffee we visited the grove restaurant and market down town. What did I find proudly displayed on their counter? Intelligentsia. Nice. Don't be fooled this is a coffee shop disguised as a restaurant! Don't get me wrong, this has been my favoriate food in Abq. to date. Local, fresh, delish. A must go kind of place. Second to one...

Giuseppe's - "This is the little one on silver." Best in town. They have two locations--I only visited one. This is espresso done well.

Posted November 28, 2011 link

At The Grove, they served me a shot that literally had steam coming off it. It was thin and watery and burnt. Being as the machine was an LM GB/5, I doubt the PID had been set differently when you were there, but stranger things have happened I guess. This was two weeks ago, btw.

Satellite and Flying star are the same ownership and are both bad (Flying star uses super-autos).

Napoli Coffee - Shots pulled thin and too long on an LM FB/70.

Have not tried Giuseppe's, never knew it was there.

Load and Lock.
jghoo
jghoo

Espresso: PIDed Reneka Viva I
Grinder: Faema S6
Drip: Presto Scandinavian
Roaster: I-roast 2, Behmor
Posted Mon Dec 26, 2011, 6:40am

ABQ is not a coffee town at all. The Grove has the potential to serve good espresso and sometimes does. Gold st Cafe serves some of the worst. Michael Thomas is substandard imho. Flying wallet and satellite one and the same. Miserable.  Ecco (the random gelatto store) is occasionally ok. When I moved here from Seattle I bought a commercial machine for my home. While it is not that great of a machine it keeps me goin. In Albuquerque coffee is the swill you drink to get going in the morning, nothing more.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Albuquerque NM...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.228475093842)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+