Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
espresso profeta in westwood?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > espresso profeta...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:37pm
Subject: Re: espresso profeta in westwood?

the_coffee_nazi Said:

I really don't think it's snootiness on their part

Posted December 11, 2011 link

yeah, it's more like "coffee nazi" fascism. "NO COFFEE WITHOUT WATER FOR YOU" ;)

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
 View Profile Link to this post
poison
poison
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Astra Pro
Grinder: Maestro Plus, Super J deal
Drip: Cone filter
Roaster: RK drum
Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011, 12:58pm

MarshallF Said:

It's always tough to imagine that, while you are looking down your nose at someone else's taste (the pumpkin latte drinker's), someone else is looking at yours the same way. Don't take it too hard. It happens all the time.

Come on, my point is that that is NOT what I did. I ordered an espresso. I have a cold, I had a headache, I was on 5 hours sleep, I needed an espresso, and I was excited to finally try Profeta. Hey, now I know.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JimWright

Espresso: LM GS/3, Estro Profi
Grinder: Macap M7KR
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Other: Eva Solo, Press Pot
Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011, 7:56pm

Still worth trying idiosyncrasies notwithstanding IMHO; their espresso and food are excellent.
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011, 8:59pm

Bitches_Brew Said:

yeah, it's more like "coffee nazi" fascism. "NO COFFEE WITHOUT WATER FOR YOU" ;)

Right. It's exactly like Nazism and Fascism, except, instead of sending you to a death camp, a shop with high standards says "We won't be a party to ruining this fine espresso. If you want to dump this exquisite drink that we are so proud of and that takes one minute to drink into a paper cup, you can find another establishment in the neighborhood to satisfy you."

Offhand, I can't think of a top tier shop in L.A. that would do it, but I could be wrong. Actually it would be an interesting bit of research to see which shops will and how they stack up in the quality department.

The only area where I might fault Profeta would be in failing to explain the reason for their policy (if they did fail). But I would certainly want to hear the barista's side of it. As a general proposition, though, I think that refusing to accommodate customer requests that violate a shop's standards is a great way to differentiate a shop's brand in a town that is big and sophisticated enough to have room for many approaches to service and quality.
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Sun Dec 11, 2011, 11:26pm

MarshallF Said:

Right. It's exactly like Nazism and Fascism, except, instead of sending you to a death camp

easy on the sarcasm. it's called a joke. the guy i quoted is the "coffee nazi" in case you missed that. here is a little background so you may laugh eventually.....

"The Soup Nazi" is the title of the 116th episode of the NBC sitcom Seinfeld, which was the 6th episode of the 7th season. It first aired in the United States on November 2, 1995. The Soup Nazi is also the nickname of the titular character played by Larry Thomas. The term "Nazi" is used as an exaggeration of the excessively strict regimentation he constantly demands of his patrons.

NO MORE SEINFELD JOKES FOR YOU! NEXT!

MarshallF Said:

a shop with high standards says "We won't be a party to ruining this fine espresso. If you want to dump this exquisite drink that we are so proud of and that takes one minute to drink into a paper cup, you can find another establishment in the neighborhood to satisfy you."

once again i will ask you marshallF........

how does adding water to espresso make it better than espresso? how does water give it "higher standards"? how would a bar be rated if they refused to serve their scotch straight?

on a side note it does fit with fascism very well*........

Coffee fascists seek to rejuvenate their shop based on commitment to the coffee community as an organic, "third wave" entity, in which individuals are bound together in national identity by suprapersonal connections of superstitions, culture, and coffee. To achieve this, coffee fascists purge bad coffee, stale beans, pods, espresso in to-go cups, and super-auto systems deemed to be the cause of decadence and degeneration of what is "higher standards" coffee. Coffee fascists advocate the creation of a totalitarian porcelain state that seeks the mass un-mobilization of an espresso through indoctrination, physical education, discipline and family policy (such as adding water). That state is led by a supreme leader(s) who exercises a dictatorship over the coffee movement, the blogs and other social networks. Coffee Fascists forbid and suppress opposition (unless the "supreme leaders" decide it's the next cool thing).

*edited to make joke/point.;)

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
poison
poison

Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 1:43am

MarshallF Said:

"We won't be a party to ruining this fine espresso.

But they're A-OK dumping hot water in it?

If you want to dump this exquisite drink that we are so proud of and that takes one minute to drink into a paper cup

Now you dictate the pace at which I enjoy my espresso?

Come back to earth, Marshall. Did you even read my original post? BTW, Intelly does espresso to go in paper, and so has every other shop I've been to.
poison
poison

Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 2:08am

I just emailed profeta a link to this thread. :)
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 6:11am

Been awhile since I've seen this much STRONG opinion.

You don't change my mind Marshall - tell me why or sell it to me or you're not worth my time no matter how good you do what you do. I decline to support you.

Whether or not anyone goes there is their choice.

I still enjoy the scotch analogy. As a not so young female when I order scotch neat, most places try to convince me to add water/soda/ice to it. When I say no it ruins it, they give me a funny look.

While wine and beer, like coffee, have become more of an artisan product, no matter how good the whiskey, to many people that is just what it is. We haven't seen as much about what distinguishes a single malt from a blend or why one person thinks it is better. Maybe because high end whiskey has been around forever.

Maybe someday, coffee will be like that, around the 5th wave or so, give or take.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 9:45am

cerridwyn Said:

You don't change my mind Marshall - tell me why or sell it to me or you're not worth my time no matter how good you do what you do. I decline to support you.

Posted December 12, 2011 link

You might be missing my points. First, I agree that, if a shop refuses a customer's request, it should politely explain why and do their best not to make him/her feel like an ignorant peasant. Second, businesses can be selective in whom they market to and still thrive, particularly in major metropolitan areas. The fact that you, I or a hundred other people may be offended by their standards is beside the point (or may actually be an advantage to them), when it helps deliver the message that "we don't compromise."

If you think refusing to serve espresso-to-go hurts their overall business, you haven't been to a thriving third wave shop lately. Try the day-and-night line at Intelli Venice. Correction. I was surprised to learn that Intelli actually will serve espresso in a paper cup, although they may try to talk you out of it. Personally I don't understand the point of espresso to go. But, to each his own.

To sum it up: hospitality is important, but you don't have to please everybody, and the customer is not always right.

Kyle Glanville gave an excellent lecture at the Nordic Cup this year on how Intelligentsia built its extremely successful brand in L.A. partly by being perceived as a kind of exclusive club. Not catering to everyone was key to building sales. That might not work in a small market, and it's never o.k. to be rude to people, but exclusivity worked for them in this market.

For the flip side of the coin, you should see this hilarious send-up of Coffee Snobs. It was recorded at Proof Bakery/Cognoscenti Coffee in Atwater (where the real baristas are very nice). I'm sure that's how the OP felt at Profeta.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Mon Dec 12, 2011, 7:01pm

Cute, and funny.

I am an odd bird. I sip my scotch and I sip my espresso. So I could see getting one to go if I stopped somewhere on the way to work. It probably takes me a few minutes to down it. I can't do it like a shooter.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > espresso profeta...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.349839925766)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+