Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Portland Oregon Coffee
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Portland Oregon...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
TonyVan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Wed Aug 15, 2012, 10:23pm
Subject: Re: Portland Oregon Coffee

On the subject of Portland coffee, you have got to try Deep Cello - especially their Nostromo for espresso.

Deep Cello is a roaster-only (not a cafe) but there are a few retailers around town who carry it (e.g. Market of Choice), although the easiest way is to buy it from the DeepCello.com website.  They win best-coffee awards, lots of positive posts on these sites, the pricing is amazingly low for the quality, shipping is free or cheap, they have a great low-cost 6-8 oz. sample program to try it out, special pricing for first-timers etc.: as close to a can't-miss in the coffee world as I've ever seen. Besides, they're really nice people who listen carefully to their customers.
 View Profile Link to this post
auxpomme

Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 11:48am

awesome thread!
going to portland for the first time, leaving a week from today. also looking into hitting up some of the crazy good restuarants and food carts. also looking to find people walking their goats. (i've heard that's an activity up there)
strfish7

Espresso: Cremina, Europiccola,...
Grinder: HGOne, Pharos, Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 2:13pm

TonyVan Said:

On the subject of Portland coffee, you have got to try Deep Cello - especially their Nostromo for espresso.

Deep Cello is a roaster-only (not a cafe) but there are a few retailers around town who carry it (e.g. Market of Choice), although the easiest way is to buy it from the DeepCello.com website.  They win best-coffee awards, lots of positive posts on these sites, the pricing is amazingly low for the quality, shipping is free or cheap, they have a great low-cost 6-8 oz. sample program to try it out, special pricing for first-timers etc.: as close to a can't-miss in the coffee world as I've ever seen. Besides, they're really nice people who listen carefully to their customers.

Posted August 15, 2012 link

Thanks for the recommendation. I will try them!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Thu Aug 16, 2012, 5:02pm

If my list gets any longer, I won't need the airplane to get home :)

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Tue Sep 18, 2012, 6:27pm

Thank you for all the recommendations. I got to try:

Public Domain
Spella
Barista
Heart
Coava
Stumptown (downtown)
Ristretto
and a little place called the Fresh Pot that serves Stumptown.

Least favorite - Spella. Was nothing to write home about, even though I ended up wearing it and going to Macy's and buying a new shirt.

Favorites of the person I was with (Portlander who had never been to most of these places)
He drinks Mocha's btw.
  Heart - was smooth and just right he said.
  Ristretto - chocolate was richer.
He's going back to some of them, maybe I've introduced someone else to great coffee, woot.

Favorites - mine.
 Had iced coffee at Ristretto that was quite good. Their location made them much less convenient for a tourist.
 Stumptown. Had.. one of their African's. I'm bad, it all ran together since I wasn't taking notes. It was good, people were nice.

In fact people everywhere were nice although some seemed more into what they were doing. I liked when I was buying coffee at the stumptown to take home and to send to my daughter and SiL that when I said barista's choice, he asked how they were preparing it and then told me why he made the recommendation that he did. I love it when they know their coffee.

Heart was the only espresso I ordered over the weekend and I again got this funny look at ordering it like I didn't know what I was doing. That doesn't make me want to go back. Just cause I'm over 50 and female doesn't make me ignorant of what I order.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
Stuart

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Roaster: Air Crazy popper
Posted Tue Oct 30, 2012, 6:28am

Thread revival post:

I'd not visited Portland until this weekend. I didn't do a comprehensive espresso tour (as has been pointed out, that could result in being pretty overcaffeinated), but stopped in a few places.

I got to try a shot a Stumptown, which was OK; pretty good but not exciting. My wife liked the mocha she ordered; not overly sweet and a good balance between coffee and chocolate. At Public Domain, I really enjoyed the single-origin Panamanian espresso they had on offer. Bright but not sour, forward but not thin. Good stuff. I grabbed a bag of their Prometheus Blend (espresso) to bring home. (As a hardware geek, I was very interested in the Synesso/Slayer pairing. They pulled my Panama on the Synesso.) My wife ordered and enjoyed a vanilla latte, although she didn't like that as much as the mocha from Stumptown.

I was surprised to find good espresso in the town of Mosier, in the Columbia River Gorge. (Population 410 -- saaa-LUTE!) 10 Speed East is a converted house just off Highway 30, and on Sunday morning they were doing a brisk business. My espresso was a bit old-school; clearly from a darker roast than that to which I've become accustomed, but good crema, smooth mouthfeel and no bitterness.

Hood River is a teeming metropolis compared to Mosier (population almost 20x), but still small. Nevertheless, multiple coffeeshops are on the main and side streets. We stopped at Doppio and had a couple of drinks. Again, old-school espresso with dark roast flavors, but again proper crema and mouthfeel.

I was pretty impressed. I went looking for good coffee on the East coast earlier this year, and didn't find much (I may not have been looking in the right places). The coffee exploration side of this trip was extremely satisfying. Good stuff, PNW.
aremyeyesred
aremyeyesred

Espresso: QM Alexia
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2012, 9:33pm

If you are visiting Portland and looking other interesting coffee spots, you may want to check this coffee travelogue I'm slowly putting together: http://darkhothabit.blogspot.com/.  

Hope it's helpful.
logictweek

Posted Mon Dec 31, 2012, 2:27pm

Mr. Greenbeans on NE Mississippi is a great little shop which stocks home-roasting beans and gear, as well as other top-quality coffee paraphranalia.  A very cool little shop for coffee geeks.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Portland Oregon...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.214136123657)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+