Regional: United States West
Japanese coffee filters in OC/LA
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Japanese coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
danar

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Feb 27, 2012, 2:08am
Subject: Japanese coffee filters in OC/LA

Right now, I'm still trying to decide on what type of ceramic drip filter to buy. And, one of the deciding factors will end up being how easy will it be to find filters for the ceramic drip filter I buy. If you have to pay shipping and handling everytime for new package of filters, it will quickly add up.

I know where I can find Hario V60 filters in Orange County, but I'd rather not buy the V60- I find it too inconsistent/ too depedent on how skillfully you pour it which can be an issue early in the morning when you're still only half-awake.

So, I'm leaning towards getting something more like a Bonmac or Kalita wave but it depends on how easily I can find the filters locally. Anybody know who, preferably in OC, might carry them?

And, does anybody know who also sells the Bonmac or Kalita wave ceramic drippers locally too? I figure if I can buy both the dripper and the filter, I wouldn't have to pay shipping costs for them.
 View Profile Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Mon Feb 27, 2012, 4:22pm
Subject: Re: Japanese coffee filters in OC/LA

you may want to consider getting the clever dripper.  it uses standard filters you can get at the supermarket and it's really difficult to mess up with.

i've never had a bad cup out of the thing.  i know you can purchase them for 15 bucks at Demitasse in little tokyo and Handsome in the artist district in DTLA
danar

Posted Tue Feb 28, 2012, 12:02am

I've heard about the consistency of the clever dripper, but I'd rather buy something ceramic instead of plastic because plastic loses heat and possible concerns about leaching from plastic. ( I figure why even take that risk, no matter how small, if you can avoid it.)

Plus, I've read Scott Rao's criticisms about the clever dripper and that's made a bit wary of buying one as well.
frank828

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Wed Feb 29, 2012, 12:35pm

danar Said:

I've heard about the consistency of the clever dripper, but I'd rather buy something ceramic instead of plastic because plastic loses heat and possible concerns about leaching from plastic. ( I figure why even take that risk, no matter how small, if you can avoid it.)

Plus, I've read Scott Rao's criticisms about the clever dripper and that's made a bit wary of buying one as well.

Posted February 28, 2012 link

hmm well the plastic on the clever is bpa free and personally i havent had any plastic taste leeching into my cup.  ive never felt that a slight decrease(not noticeable to me) in tempature caused any issues.  personally, i do no like to drink my coffee that hot anyway.  i end up only with the sensation of pain and numbing/burning of my taste buds when the coffee is too hot.  with many of my coffees i will actually pour my cup into another cup to cool it further to open up some of the more acidic flavors.

best thing i can recommend is to just give all the ones you're interested in a try.  at worst with the clever, you end up spending under 20 bucks for something that almost guaranteed will make a good cup of coffee.
danar

Posted Thu Mar 1, 2012, 12:51am

frank828 Said:

hmm well the plastic on the clever is bpa free and personally i havent had any plastic taste leeching into my cup .

Posted February 29, 2012 link

But, the research is increasingly showing that we shouldn't be just concerned about just bpa plastics. Even BPA-free plastic was found to leech chemicals.

Click Here (news.discovery.com)

Just because you can't taste any plastic leaching doesn't mean that it isn't leaching.

frank828 Said:

best thing i can recommend is to just give all the ones you're interested in a try.  at worst with the clever, you end up spending under 20 bucks for something that almost guaranteed will make a good cup of coffee.

Posted February 29, 2012 link

But, not including shipping and handling or buying the different filters for each specific dripper, the kalita wave is going to cost around $35, the bon mac $15-$20, and the clever is going to cost another $20. It all adds up.
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Mon Mar 12, 2012, 9:45am

I stopped in at Portola Coffee Lab and was impressed by their wide variety of brewers and other goods for sale (including several good books).  They also have a lot of different brew methods such as siphon, Trifecta, V60, etc. and could probably speak to the different brew methods, in fact I think their blog talks a bit about the different brew methods.  You can see some of the items for sale in the background of one of the pictures on my blog post that talked about Portola here.

I've heard, but can't confirm, that the filters for the Kalita Wave can be hard to come by.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
theCoffeeScientist
theCoffeeScientist

Espresso: Livia 90, Livietta, Caffe...
Grinder: OE Lido#144, Preciso, SJ,...
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Hario V60, BeeHouse, Chemex,...
Roaster: Quest M3 fully profiled
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 6:31pm

Try the BeeHouse dripper. It is ceramic and uses Melitta filters which you should be able to get at most regular coffee shop, supermarkets and even Target/Wallfart (uhhhh...not quite sure that last one is quite right 8). It makes a good cup too. I'm totally with you on the plastics, nylons and esp. silicone with hot liquids and stick to glass, ceramic and stainless

Cheers,
dan

-the science of coffee-
theCoffeeScientist
theCoffeeScientist

Espresso: Livia 90, Livietta, Caffe...
Grinder: OE Lido#144, Preciso, SJ,...
Vac Pot: Yama 5c
Drip: Hario V60, BeeHouse, Chemex,...
Roaster: Quest M3 fully profiled
Posted Sun Jun 17, 2012, 6:42pm

don't forget the Chemex which is easier to use than the V60 (my favorite) due to its much thicker filter and although it is EXPENSIVE you can get the Able Kone v3 for it (and never buy paper filters again if you really like it). The v3 Kone should be MUCH easier to use than v1 (which I have) and v2 also.

That being said though, the Chemex does goes back to your original issue of filter availability but I'd be surprised if you can't readily get them at a local coffee shop (my local hardware store sells them).

Cheers,
dan

-the science of coffee-
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Japanese coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.241105079651)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+