Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
LA Home Coffee Meet-up, AKA a " coffee charrette"
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > LA Home Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
russel
russel
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Conti Princess 2grp, GS/3...
Grinder: Super Caimanos x2, Forte BG,...
Drip: V60, Kalita Wave, Clever,...
Posted Tue May 8, 2012, 12:07pm
Subject: Re: LA Home Coffee Meet-up, AKA a " coffee charrette"

At the moment I think we have enough gear save for a few particular items.  Demitasse is not too large a place, so I don't want more gear than can be kept track of.  I'm a little wary of an unwatched item waking out the door.    My concerns may be overblown, but from my point my point of view its better to be safe about it.  If this works out I'm hoping to have either a lever/hand grinder espresso charrette, or some kind of "vintage" espresso charrette.

If anyone else is reading this, I am still looking for people who can bring the following:

Silvia
E61 (rocket, andrja, etc.)

Preciso
Super Jolly
K10
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon May 14, 2012, 4:51am

Russel,
Thanks for the invite via email. No I had not been watching this thread, not by neglect but I just do not get to this board much.

I can bring my SJ, Major, Cappricieo my work PID Sylvia and possibly my ECM HX. It is a plumb in/pour over but it needs a drain tank as the drip tray is perm, plumb in.

As I am starting in Riverside and possibly bringing my HX which needs at least half an hour to warm up, I need to leave the house by about 6:15 am to get to L.A. in time to let the machine warm up before people get there.

Sunday is normally reserved for church but I guess it is OK to miss once in a while. I will be inviting a non CG person who I recently met who is very into learning espresso.

See you there.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
russel
russel

Posted Wed May 16, 2012, 11:10pm

I'm looking forward to actually meeting everyone this Sunday.  Currently the equipement line up is (*tentative):

Gaggia Color
Silvia
Silvia w/ PID
Livia 90
ECM HX
Mini Vivaldi*
La Pavoni Stradivari
Ponte Vecchio Lusso

Vario
Super Jolly
Quamar M80E
Major*
Super Caimano
Macap MXK
Pharos

I feel that this is enough, if there is someone obvious that's missing please chime in so that I can try to track it down.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 5:30am

I am also tossing in a N.S. MDX as it was part of my work setup.

HEY, this get together is really "costing" me LOL, My son in the Navy is home on leave and he is going to Dland on Sunday and because I am going to the meet up, I won't be able to go until about 1PM (he is going at park opening) due to the travel involved!!

His trip home only came up in the last week so there was no way to plan around him, I committed to this event before his plans came to be. OH well, I am looking forward to getting to know some new people!

What is the expected head count?

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
russel
russel

Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 8:40am

I wish I knew the head count.  Usually you invite x, here back from x/2, get x/4 in attendance.  It seems however, that being a more or less public event means people are going to drop in on the fly.  Thats fine for now, a strong turnout mean a better chance of pulling off the next one...

Given the people I have talked to and the number who are bringing gear, I would guess 10 to start.  20 would be a big turnout.
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 3:03pm

Well, I'm definitely there. Looking forward to meeting new folks.
 View Profile Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Thu May 17, 2012, 5:16pm

Unless I oversleep, I'll be the quiet woman in the corner. Since it's about a 75 minute drive It means getting up on a Sunday, but I have directions and it is on my calendar.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 7:30am
Subject: Attn: everybody coming in to Demitasse on Sunday, May 20

Sunday is the leg of the Amgen Tour of California that's going to be closing streets in downtown L.A., so your usual route may be troublesome. The downtown section of the race is iimmediately west of San Pedro St. Looks like parts of Spring, Hill and Olive will be closed between 7:30am and 12:30pm. You can find a map of the closures and times at http://trafficinfo.lacity.org/images/2012amgen.jpg

Just thought folks should be prepared. As a bicyclist, I  had known about this, but it took until this morning for the pieces to fall together. Maybe I haven't had enough espresso recently.
russel
russel

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 9:57am
Subject: Re: Attn: everybody coming in to Demitasse on Sunday, May 20

Yeah, my wife mentioned the traffic situation last night...there's stuff going on at the Staples Center as well.  I think the best thing to do is to make sure that you approach from the South East, either from the 101 or the 10, but not from the 110.  Everything is happening to the West of Demitasse, so hopefully traffic won't be bad as long as you avoid crossing through Staples Center traffic or the street closures.
frank828

Posted Fri May 18, 2012, 10:35am
Subject: Re: Attn: everybody coming in to Demitasse on Sunday, May 20

looking at that map, if youre coming via the 101N/S, looks like the best exit would be Alameda.  As soon as you exit, make a left(101N) or make a right(101S) at the light(you'll then be on Alameda), then make a right on either 1st or 2nd street and it should get you to San Pedro.  Demitasse is between 1st and 2nd st on San Pedro.
showing page 4 of 6 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > LA Home Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.239912986755)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+