Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
espresso profeta in westwood?
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > espresso profeta...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
Pruss2ny

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Dec 30, 2011, 10:54am
Subject: Re: espresso profeta in westwood?

Always thot the rationale for not serving espresso in a paper cup was that the mass had no way to retain it's temp, which is important to the taste profile of the espresso....paper cup, add a couple ounces of hot water and shazaam-u have some mass, a stable temp profile, and a prayer to get 3 feet away from the counter before your drink gets ice cold.  Think most shops will tell u they prefer not to sell espresso to go, but do so to avoid alienating overly sensitive customers.  I've been to profeta in Westwood a couple times, think the baristas are more than chill, and don't think their policy of no-to-go-espresso is an offense to mankind.  I did ask for one once (espresso to go) running to a dinner, they countered Italiano, and the world kept rolling
 View Profile Link to this post
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Sat Dec 31, 2011, 7:53am

I cannot speak to Espresso Profeta . . . ain't never been there; they tell me it's nice . . . but

JimWright Said:

Well, this one issue aside (and this doesn't really affect me, I basically always order a shot and a breve latte and even if I'm on my way out I take the shot for here and the latte to go) . . .

Posted December 11, 2011 link

+1  How long does it take to "down" an espresso?  Approximately 98 percent of the time, the barista makes the espresso and hands it to me, then makes the latte.  By the time that drink is made, I've finished the espresso and I'm out the door.  Every once in a while, however, they make both at the same time, or worse -- the latte first.  Sigh!  

Now, I don't get the whole "ghetto latte" thing.  I've never seen it (though I have no doubt it happens).  Then again, I don't go to *$, and (FWIW) I'm in the "Gourmet Ghetto" of Berkeley.

I sometimes make an "espresso-to-go" for myself, but I put it in a shot glass and it's usually gone between my front door and the car.  But I can't wrap my head around the idea of espresso in a paper cup.  It's me, I'm sure, as i have no problem with a latte to go (in a paper cup), but the thought of an espresso in a paper cup just causes me to shudder.  So, on the one hand, I can understand (as long as it's done tactfully) a coffee house/café refusing to serve espresso in a paper cup, but I cannot understand either changing the customer's order (to an "Italiano" from an espresso), or refusing to explain the "why" behind the policy.  On the other hand, having spent most of my life in retail, I have a hard time not following the age-old dictum, "the customer is always right."

Color me conflicted.

Cheers,
Jason

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JimWright

Espresso: LM GS/3, Estro Profi
Grinder: Macap M7KR
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Other: Eva Solo, Press Pot
Posted Sat Dec 31, 2011, 8:27am

I've never actually seen anyone do it either.  I sometimes like an Americano with lots of cream and that's my wife's regular drink (which is by no means the same drink as a breve), but never seen anyone order a shot and add cream.  Probably happens at Starbucks though (and I guess they're fine with it), and I'd like to imagine the folks frequenting Profeta and places like it are not really the same customer base.
auxpomme

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2012, 8:41pm

Haven't been to profeta in a year or so but can't imagine so much controversy as is in this thread. First time I went, I chuckled that they had a sign that says they only server dopio ristretto espresso and they do not make them to go. With that said, I've never had a problem, but could definitely symphasize with people that have. The people that often work there are "too cool for school" dudes and you can tell they're looking down their noses at everyone. Even considering that, the rest of westwood is just a terrible terrible wasteland and I'll accept some attitude to get a (majority of the time) damn good shot of espresso. Really, the product there outshines any of the other LA places like handsome, intelli, congni, etc. I'm just glad I don't have to go to westwood on a regular basis anymore, the traffic there is the worst, and that fact can not possibly generate any debate. :)
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > espresso profeta...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.196718931198)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+