Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
LA Home Roasting Charrette: Sunday Sept. 9th, 9:00am @ Cafe Demitasse
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > LA Home Roasting...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
tahoejoe
tahoejoe
Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: Behmor Brazen Brew System
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Sep 11, 2012, 5:56pm
Subject: Re: LA Home Roasting Charrette: Sunday Sept. 9th, 9:00am @ Cafe Demitasse

I just wanted to thank everyone for allowing me to attend the get together on Sunday and say what a pleasure it was to meet everyone, as well as see my ol' friend George.. I look forward to our next opportunity and hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

Special thanks to Russel and the folks at Cafe Demitasse..

Gort thanks you as well... Klaatu barada nikto

REMINDER: Never leave the roaster unattended when in use !!   And remember to use our Rosetta Stone tip PART V PARAGRAPH 3.. it works !!!

www.behmor.com

Twitter: www.twitter.com/behmor
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Behmor-Inc/214061212036763#!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 12:35pm
Subject: Re: LA Home Roasting Charrette: Sunday Sept. 9th, 9:00am @ Cafe Demitasse

GVDub Said:

Please let me know what you think of the Nicaragua Cielo Azul, which was also roasted last night. I'd give it until Wednesday.

Posted September 9, 2012 link

hey George, just had a cup of the Cielo Azul out of the aeropress.  it was a very clean cup, lots of body.  i was getting a bit of nuttiness.  definitely a nice cup.  looking forward to trying it out as espresso and out of a pourover(i think the aeropress might have been a bit strong and might have masked the more delicate flavors).

i'm thinking the konga will be the opposite end of the spectrum.  i roasted it much lighter and with higher heat(p1) to bring out the brightness and preserve the berry flavor.  hopefully i didnt undershoot it as i noted from my last attempt to try to end the roast slightly sooner than before.   i'm thinking this would be a better pourover than espresso.  the acids might be a bit high for espresso.   either way, let me know.
 View Profile Link to this post
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 1:34pm

Funny you should post. I just pulled a shot of the Konga on the Caravel Ursula at work. Not too light at all - nice big fruit and not overpowering brightness. More strawberry than blueberry, but definitely big berries. Not a real heavy body, but a nice smooth one. I think the body might get a little bigger with a day or two more of rest, but, even as it is new, it's very nice.

My friend John Glavan from Clavenko Roasting was by the Charrette, too (don't know if you were still there when he showed up or not) and he gave me a bag of Finca Las Mercedes to try, which had dark chocolate and strawberry notes. Quite the "dessert" coffee week so far.
frank828

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 4:33pm

thanks for the feedback, George.   I'm glad you enjoyed it.  

las mercedes has some nice stuff.  i enjoyed some of the greens that klatch was offering from them a little while back.
frank828

Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 8:13pm

hey George...wow, that Cielo Azul made a great SO espresso.  just made my first and didnt need any further dialing in.  18g into an espressoparts HQ ridgeless 14g basket, 21grams out in about 29 seconds after a 7 second preinfusion.  

that was mighty tasty.  mmmmmm

i dont have any taste notes, all i know is that i drank it way too fast. :P
GVDub

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600+
Posted Wed Sep 12, 2012, 8:30pm

Yeah, I wish I'd bought more than 10 lbs while Tom had it in stock. I've been really enjoying it across the range of roasts.
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > LA Home Roasting...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.207718849182)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+