Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Los Angeles CG'ers - Klatch Coffee?
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Los Angeles...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
bcrdukes

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/ Auber...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 1:18am
Subject: Los Angeles CG'ers - Klatch Coffee?

Hey there LA/OC CG'ers.

I have a very loaded question (or rather, several) regarding Klatch Coffee.  They are an award winning coffee shop and well known for their coffee roasting but I beg to inquire you CG'ers - What is your overall impression of the shop?  Please let me tell a little story for this question to make sense.  For the sake of not having to oust anybody or throwing names/locations, I will simply refrain from doing so.  If you absolutely must know (or if somebody working at Klatch Coffee is lurking) - please contact me via e-mail as per my profile.

I normally order a double shot espresso.  It is always served in a ceramic espresso cup which I appreciate but in the end, there's nothing that stands out about it.  The most recent espresso being served right now is their Belle espresso and it's disappointing.  Very one dimensional.

To change things up, I ordered a ristretto.  It came out like a regular double shot.  No change in volume. Nothing.  Tasted once again, one dimensional.  I asked the barista if this was a ristretto and was informed that all their shots are pulled ristretto.  Huh?  Really?  There was probably at least a good 50mL in volume in that cup.  I shrugged it off and went on my way.  Also, their double cappuccino is huge.  I asked to have a dry cappuccino and to go easy on the milk - I got a latte with some mediocre milk foam.  I get better results on my Silvia.  No joke.

Now, I'm starting to question myself - does a double shot at Klatch Coffee imply using a double basket and pulling a shot until it reaches 50-60ml in volume?  Or do I have to compensate by ordering a single shot in order to get a ristretto?  I want to see if any CG'ers have had this experience or can perhaps explain to me if I'm misunderstanding something or if I am grossly misinformed.  I don't want to act like a know-it-all when questioning the staff but as far as I am understanding this - nothing they're serving is jiving to CG standards.  Maybe I'm being too critical or my expectations are unreasonable.

Thanks!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 5:55am
Subject: Re: Los Angeles CG'ers - Klatch Coffee?

First, I live out that way and for years it was the only option above CBTL save a small location in Redlands I don't care for at all (no not Augies, I like Augies, they came later). So I've been there more than I care for.

First, which location? San Dimas? Rancho Cucamona or Ontario? I've found the personality and skill level really varies from place to place as well as person to person. Ontario feels like fast food coffee. It's location probably has a lot to do with it along with the resultant set that it would attract.

I've been fairly lucky in Rancho. It has a better ambiance and generally baristas who know something more about their products. I ordered what on the menu was a latte expecting it to be more milk than I like and was very surprised to find the ration more like a 'text book' capp. (I still prefer them on the dry side, not a milk lover in even a coffee drink, but that's a personal thing.)

San Dimas, the original location, again, has a better feel than Ontario, but still feels less like a coffee shop than like a Sub place. Only been there once, it's much further away, so I can't judge.

Oddly, I cannot make coffee (not espresso mind you, I'm a coffee girl) with his roasts to save my soul. I can have it in the store, ask proportions go home and it tastes totally different. I've done pour over, french press, and even used a regular pot. So I don't buy to take home any more.

If this is a one-off experience, I'd try again. But overall, I like what I get from the Rancho location the best.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
bcrdukes

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 12:49pm

Well, I'm reluctant to say which location but I will oblige.  It is the San Dimas location as it is the closest one to me.  I have not been to their other locations.

I am probably just a sucker for punishment.  I keep going back, hoping to get a better understanding of what's going on but nothing ever works.  I have no other choices unless I start heading out west to Downtown LA such as Handsome Coffee or Paper or Plastik (my favourite so far.)
frank828

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: GS3
Grinder: RoburE, Kenia
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Brazen, CCD, Aeropress, V60,...
Roaster: Behmor, Air Crazy
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 1:20pm

as far as i know, a double shot = a single shot pulled from a double basket at most places.

if you wanted an actual second shot pulled, ask for an extra shot.
 View Profile Link to this post
bcrdukes

Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 1:26pm

frank828 Said:

as far as i know, a double shot = a single shot pulled from a double basket at most places.

if you wanted an actual second shot pulled, ask for an extra shot.

Posted December 27, 2012 link

This is how I understood it as.  But their ristretto shot (in terms of volume) is the same as a regular shot.  What gives!?
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 6:47pm

bcrdukes Said:

Well, I'm reluctant to say which location but I will oblige.  It is the San Dimas location as it is the closest one to me.  I have not been to their other locations.

I am probably just a sucker for punishment.  I keep going back, hoping to get a better understanding of what's going on but nothing ever works.  I have no other choices unless I start heading out west to Downtown LA such as Handsome Coffee or Paper or Plastik (my favourite so far.)

Posted December 27, 2012 link

No worries.

Don't know where you live since your profile still says BC.

There is a little hole in the wall breakfast place in walnut that does Intelli coffee, but just coffee afaik, not espresso. I don't know of any where else in the San Gabriel Valley area at all. As you said, LA, or south to Portola.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
espressophile
espressophile

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Innova
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 7:19pm

I've been to the Rancho Cucamonga location of Klatch one time, so I can't say if my experience may or may not be typical.  I had what I considered to be a quite excellent shot of what I think was the Belle Espresso (this was 13+ months ago); pour volume was pretty much inline with what I get at the top NorCal shops or the couple of other places I've been to in LA/OC.

If a "shot" (double ristretto by default) is ~50ml, I don't see that as an issue; figure the singles comprising the double are 25ml each.  How restricted do you want it?

I've also had a shot of Klatch's "World's Best Espresso" at a place up this way.  Quite enjoyable; one of the best I've had ever anywhere.  Maybe the Belle just isn't to your taste?

Of note, I've heard positive things about a place in Redlands called Augies Coffee House.  Never been, so standard caveats apply, etc.

looking for signs in the sky
following ghosts, following visions

http://www.twitter.com/espressophile - the every espresso project
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Thu Dec 27, 2012, 10:17pm

This link shows pics of espressos I've had in the past at Klatch Coffee in San Dimas. Very good espressos in 2005, but poor espressos in 2007 and 2010. Looks like in 2012 espresso quality at Klatch has not improved. Probably because coffee drinkers in San Dismal are satisfied with Starbucks quality coffee.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)
 View Profile Link to this post
bcrdukes

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 1:18am

Cerridwyn - I live in Vancouver, BC but I'm currently here in LA for a month visiting family.

GaryH - I think you're right.  They seem to appeal to more of a general crowd, moreso acting as the "alternative" coffee shop serving the community and the general population.  They don't seem to cater to a different crowd from the three years I've been going there, not at least to CG'ers like ourselves.

For now, I think I'm done with Klatch.  I still have a Klatch Coffee Card with $15 or so.  If anybody's interested in having a coffee (on me!) please e-mail me so I can get rid of the money leftover on the card as I have no plans on going back any further.  You would be doing me a huge favour.

Well, this was a "double shot" at Handsome Coffee today in Los Angeles, pulled by the one and only, Mr. Owens himself.  It took maybe 2 or 3 small sips and I was done.  At Klatch, it was almost double that in order to finish the shot.  So...I'm not sure where the disparity comes in.  And yes, the coffee at Handsome was extremely delicious.  I can't say the same for what I've been getting at Klatch.

bcrdukes: handsomedec27.jpg
(Click for larger image)
bcrdukes

Posted Fri Dec 28, 2012, 4:05pm

Okay, quick follow up.

Ordered a a single shot - I got what I wanted.  Did they pull it using a single basket?  I'm not sure.  Did it taste amazing?  No, but it was certainly better than what I would expect from their supposed "double."
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Los Angeles...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.260787963867)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+