Regional: United States West
Los Angeles CG'ers - Klatch Coffee?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Los Angeles...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
ckroaster

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: La Marzocco GB5
Grinder: Robar
Roaster: diedrich 24k
Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013, 10:29pm
Subject: Re: Los Angeles CG'ers - Klatch Coffee?

Mike here with Klatch,

1st off, sorry you did not like the espresso.  If you get something you do not like, please tell the barista and allow them to try and make things right.  

Also, we normally have two different espresso beans (or blends) on bar at San Dimas so feel free to ask.  House or FTO would be a bit darker with most beans in the blend at early 2nd crack (most not all as the Brazil component of House is lighter), Belle a similar roast but with hints of fruit or berry from a (lighter) natural Ethiopian.  Most SO espresso are medium roast after 1st crack but prior to 2nd, as is our WBC (though it is a blend).  We do not feature any real light espresso as we favor the balanced and sweet over brighter, just our personal thing.  

As for single or double, we only run double portafilters with double baskets.  If you order a single we run a double and you get what runs out of one side of the double portafilter.  Additionally, while the volume of a double espresso might be about 2 x 25 ml, that is only an approximation.  The barista actually dials in the espresso using many factors but primarily decides by taste. Various factors include grind, dose, volume, weight, ratio, color, crema, time.  By weight and ratio I mean 18-22 grams of espresso with 28 to 33 grams liquid so a ratio about 55-65%. Depending on the bean, blend, days off roast and other factors these variables can change which is why we taste to dial in the shots and then use the various measurements for consistency.

I hope this answers most your questions.  If you go to San Dimas, I am there most mornings around 8am before going to the roastery, you can normally see me in the customer area or ask an employee if I am there.  

mike
mike@klatchroasting.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013, 6:17pm

bcrdukes Said:

To change things up, I ordered a ristretto.  It came out like a regular double shot.  No change in volume. Nothing.

Posted December 27, 2012 link

First, I will disclose that Klatch is my client. But I am not going to address any of the specific complaints here.

Instead, I want to talk about ordering a “ristretto” in a coffee shop. This is a request that is, by the nature of how coffee shops operate, usually doomed to failure. A ristretto is achieved by adjusting the grind and dose so that a smaller than normal amount of coffee is extracted from a normal amount of grounds in a normal amount of time.

A shop either has its grinders adjusted for ristrettos or it doesn’t. If it doesn’t, the barista is not going to adjust her grinder for just one customer. It would take several test shots to get it right and several more to undo it for the next customer.

If you want little ristrettos, go to a shop that specializes in them. Vivace in Seattle and Schomer’s followers in L.A. (Profeta in Westwood and Luxxe in Santa Monica and Brentwood come to mind). Otherwise you will most likely get a shot cut short (which will be unbalanced) or one side of a double spouted pour (which will be small, but probably not what you had in mind).

I am neutral, by the way, on the subject of ristretto vs. normale. I just look for “good.”
 View Profile Link to this post
bcrdukes

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia V3 w/ Auber...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 2:45am

Marshall - Please don't sue me.  :)

Mike @ Klatch - Thanks for the explanation.  Much appreciated!
famedalupo

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 8:55pm

First, to balance the criticism coming, I want to say that Klatch's Ethiopian Worka was perhaps the biggest berry explosion I've ever experienced.  The WBC espresso is very berry as well, a nice shot.  I am also highly appreciative of the presence of Klatch in the midst of what is a coffee desert.

One problem though.  First, the baristas at San Dimas all seem to be a bit juvenile and the (audio) volume of their social scene (which seems to involve them and their friends that come in the shop) tends to dominate the cafe's ambiance.  The other day I sat next to a table of baristas, off-work, who were so incredibly loud that I left.  One-on-one service provided by these individuals is great (cheerful), but their youthful immaturity makes the place sometimes a bit unbearable.  I prefer the people over at Cucamonga.

[Edit: resolved the matter of the drink sizes.  Turns out that ordering a "double" means they double everything, espresso and milk. I thought I was simply ordering an extra shot.  This explains the XL-sized cappuccino]

After discovering the Cucamonga location, I've been going there because I prefer the ambiance.  Generally I find the quality of the drinks to be of a high standard, and am a happy customer.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013, 9:28pm

Have not had the opportunity to visit a Klatch Cafe, but for the last year or so I have been ordering green beans from Klatch.  Currently my go-to coffees, working though a second 10lb bag of Ethiopian Worka and a 10Lb of El Salvador El Rubi Honey.  Thanks Mike for selecting and offering excellent coffees. I've been roasting my own for many years, and these are right with the best. They certainly have quality beans to make excellent espresso.
yakster
yakster
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory / La Peppina...
Grinder: Vario / Kyocera
Vac Pot: Yama 8 + Pyrex Lox-in Rod
Drip: Brazen / Kalita / Chemex /...
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013, 2:27pm

I have also not made it out to Klatch as it's a bit far from the Bay Area and a bit far from my folks in Orange County, but I have made multiple orders of green and roasted coffee from them and have been very happy with the coffee.  I signed up for the newsletter and get emailed with special offers such as free shipping which is an added bonus.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jan 30, 2013, 4:40pm

Until this past Monday, it had been several years since I'd been able to visit a Klatch cafe.  My past experiences began in 2007, when I was looking on Google for somewhere to get coffee in San Dimas, as I was going up there from San Diego to make some money on the side over a few weekends.  I stumbled upon Klatch and was extremely impressed by the drink quality when I went there.  The cappas were incredibly creamy and delicious, very well-balanced.  The artwork was a nice touch too.  At the time, I was using a Silvia and Rocky combo, and had been doing home espresso since Spring 2003.

In 2008 or 9? I was in Calif and was fortunate enough to get registered for one of Heather's one day barista courses.  One of the other participants was an employee of theirs, who said she'd been working in their cafes for about a year, but still wasn't up to the high standards needed to serve customers.  Sure enough, when I visited the Rancho and San Dimas shops on that trip the drinks were again amazing.

Having seen what happened to Peet's when they put "cafes" in the airports I was very skeptical to even try the Klatch bar in LAX terminal 7, but I thought how bad could it be...certainly better than *$$, and surely, Mike and Heather wouldn't risk their reputation on that place.  So, my conversation with the barista went something like this...did Heather train you? Yes.  She trained me too...and so on.  The cappa I got was 1) too hot and 2) poorly frothed - not microfoam.  I was a little disappointed, but at least it tasted good, as they were using Mike's House Blend Espresso.  I thought about saying something, but didn't want to ruffle any feathers and figured since Mike comes here, he'll see my review and probably crack the whip anyways.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
glcoffee

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Izzo Alex II
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Hario V60
Posted Wed Feb 13, 2013, 12:28pm

I really think the San Dimas shop is understated and could be a lot better with a little TLC.   If you walk in here expecting it to be a straight coffee shop, one would become dismayed at its ambiance.  But, if you go about it in thinking this is a sandwich shop, it is actually better than most.

Not going to name any particulars here, but I agree that Klatch's coffee beans are by far the best I have had.  The actual drinks, however, are of a different story...IMO.  I blame the lunch rush cafe like ambiance at the SD shop.

Like emradguy, I was one of the participants at a Klatch workshop and was also trained along with an employee of theirs.  I thought it was just my session, but it bothers me that my paid time had to be shared with one of their employees on training.  

Heather, if you are reading this, keep up the awesomeness as you are the goddess of coffee.  :)

“Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again.”
C.S. Lewis, The World's Last Night
------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------
I am Taiwanese.
famedalupo

Posted Sun Mar 3, 2013, 11:21am

The baristas at the Cucamonga location are, from my experience going to each regularly in the last year, superior to those at the Dimas location.  The ambiance at the former is much better as well.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Mar 8, 2013, 7:34am

I have been to all 3 locations and the roastery. For the most part I am happy with them. The only blend I do not like is FTO, I have brewed it myself and at the bar and regardless of who makes it, it is not something I like at all but then not everyone likes everything so I'm not holding that against them.

As it is closest to me, I tend to go to the One closest to the airport. The baristas have come to know me and I am always warmly welcomed and they try their best with the coffee. A few times I have asked for them to try again but for the most part, it is pretty good.

Nothing is going to be like what you make at home with everything tuned to just the way you like it.

When in Seattle I had some very good coffee, from all the usual suspects and multiple locations. Was I BLOWN AWAY? no, but I did have some good coffee. I guess I am going to just go back to the above line about making it yourself.

You should get good to very good espresso at a shop, sometimes it may just blow you away, but regardless of how "third wave" they are, they can't please everyone to the Nth degree. YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Los Angeles...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.254484176636)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+