Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Portola Coffee's "Theorem" bar
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Portola Coffee's...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 8:18pm
Subject: Portola Coffee's "Theorem" bar

Because of my industry ties, I stopped reviewing coffee bars a long time ago. But I have to make an exception now. Inspired by Cerridwyn’s August 2012 report, I took my wife and two coffee industry veterans down to Portola in Costa Mesa today to experience their “Theorem” bar "craft coffee service." Before we arrived, we thought it might be a bit precious, but instead we were all blown away.

Truman Severson, the barista and manager of the Theorem bar, was our private host for an hour. He presented an experience that had something to teach each of us. His current theme (it changes regularly) was “alcohol.” This meant using techniques normally associated with aging, distilling or mixing alcoholic beverages and applying them to coffee – without actually serving any alcohol.

The first was a cold-brewed Ethiopian coffee that was then aged for several weeks in a nitro-flushed wine barrel, so that some of the oak and its char would be imparted to the coffee. It worked beautifully, producing a sweet, rich brew.

Second was a kind of cheat, since it wasn’t coffee. He served a long-aged and fermented pu’er tea, very slightly carbonated and chilled with an ice cube. Another treat.

Third was the mind-blower: crystal clear “coffee” that had been run through a distiller. All the bitterness (and color) had been left behind in the distillation process. It was tingly acidic. I thought some sugars came through, but my companions convinced me I was really tasting the absence of bitterness.

Last was a “shaken, not stirred” coffee sour, prepared in the style of a sour cocktail. It had a citrus foam head and was laced with homemade coffee bitters in the style of Angustura (but with coffee essence). Quite delicious.

This is an experience that will expand your idea of what can be done with coffee, which is, I suppose, why they call it “Theorem.” Well worth the $28 and half hour trip down from L.A. Reservations required (online on Urban Spoon).

Theorem site.
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013, 10:20pm
Subject: Re: Portola Coffee's "Theorem" bar

Drool. I'd love to check this place out in 2013. Thanks for the report.

Speaking of, I noticed Ceremony Coffee has been experimenting with barrel-conditioned coffees recently: Click Here (store.ceremonycoffee.com)
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 12:32pm

You will love it. My daughter said repeatedly that the sad thing about Theorem, is you will never have that taste again.

Truman rocks. I have to say that. He knows what he is doing and has been given the rare chance to totally explore the coffee he is featuring that week. He's a pleasure to sit and talk with and if I lived in OC, I'd probably go weekly just to see what gem he has created. They are in the perfect part of the world to do this sort of experiment.

She can't wait to come visiting again just to see what that week's options are. Menu's are posted, but only by name of the creation, so you don't really know what you are having until he tells you.

Theorum also has a brew bar for when the craft service is not running. I don't know what the difference is between it and what you get in the main bar. If anyone knows I'd love to know.

Glad you enjoyed it.

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 12:35pm

jbviau Said:

Speaking of, I noticed Ceremony Coffee has been experimenting with barrel-conditioned coffees recently: Click Here (store.ceremonycoffee.com)

Posted January 5, 2013 link

Our local place regularly buys beans from all over the country to keep an eye on what's out there and how he compares. He had a bag of the barrel-conditioned coffee from Ceremony. I did not try it, they will make anything they have on that shelf for you, it is just not guaranteed to be in the 15 day period. I did smell it and you could smell the wine characteristics.

I'm considering ordering a bag when I need to order something random again next time (I regularly order from all around the country just to taste new things). (Plus their bags are gorgeous.)

do you game?:
MarshallF
MarshallF
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sun Jan 6, 2013, 8:11pm

Just to be clear, the coffee we were served in the Theorem bar was aged after cold brewing. Also, the wine barrel was made of Hungarian oak which had been toasted a bit in the normal manner, but had never actually held any wine. They did not want any wine flavors to be part of the final product.

I should also mention that the pu'er tea earned its place at the table by having been fermented and then aged for 15 years, then allowed to ferment again after brewing to produce an effervescense.
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun Jan 20, 2013, 4:15pm

Got an email from them a few days ago (on the 18th). If it wasn't such a long drive, I'd so go down there next weekend:

Ardi
New Menu Starting Wednesday.
Ardi is an amazing Ethiopian Coffee from Sidamo.  This coffee was discovered shortly after an ancient fossil nicknamed "arid" was discovered.  So with a shared discovery comes a shared name.  

Complex, molasses/cherry sweetness with a hint of savory tones to round it off.  This coffee graces our bar starting Wednesday.

do you game?:
JimOD
JimOD
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Aroma Non Pressurized
Grinder: Baratza Preciso with Esatto
Drip: Bunn NHBX-B
Posted Mon Feb 18, 2013, 11:42pm

I haven't had the pleasure of trying the Theorem bar yet, but I can say the Lab area featuring the Slayer, three Trifectas, a siphon area and a pour over area is well worth the visit.

My tongue is burned
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Fri Feb 22, 2013, 6:30am

They are sending two Barista's to the SW Regionals. In the upcoming weeks, they will be demoing their competition drinks in competition style.

I hope they do well.

do you game?:
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Portola Coffee's...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.239722013474)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+