Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Regional: United States West
Coffee houses from Sacramento to So Cali
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Regional > US West > Coffee houses...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
eton

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Mirage, 3g LM
Grinder: Robur
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: clover? does that count?
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 9:14am
Subject: Coffee houses from Sacramento to So Cali

Hi guys,

Long time no post.  I am planning on taking a coffee road trip from Sac to So Cali.  Any suggestions? I know there are tons, but I haven't been paying much attention these days!  

Thanks!
Eton

Eton Tsuno
Roast Master/Green Buyer
Temple Coffee
Roaster@templecoffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Wed Jul 31, 2013, 6:22pm
Subject: Re: Coffee houses from Sacramento to So Cali

Cool

what route are you taking?

Where are your so cal destinations?

A fair number of places, more in some locals than others, but it does depend on where you plan to go

The world needs more outstanding coffee.

do you game?:
http://forum.paxcorvus.info
http://www.outland.org
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarshallF
MarshallF

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Sat Aug 3, 2013, 11:46am

Hi Eton,

I thought you knew every roaster and barista in L.A. :-)

The scene has exploded so quickly here since you left, that it is hard to keep up. But, this Eater L.A. list is a good start. I'm sure a couple more have opened since it was published (all of two weeks ago).
 View Profile Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Sun Aug 4, 2013, 6:27pm

Grin Marshall

Small map. Guess cause I don't live in that area ;)

do you game?:
eton

Espresso: Mirage, 3g LM
Grinder: Robur
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: clover? does that count?
Posted Thu Aug 8, 2013, 2:56pm

Thanks guys.  We can take whatever route takes us through the most coffee places.  =)

Eton Tsuno
Roast Master/Green Buyer
Temple Coffee
Roaster@templecoffee.com
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
espressophile
espressophile

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Innova
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013, 11:13am

Not sure if you've done this yet or not.

Here's my suggested route (since it's circular, feel free to run it backwards if you prefer).

You know what's in Sacramento, so I'm not going to comment on that. :-)  Leave Sac on I-5 South and then take 4 West into Pittsburg.  Stop at Steeltown Coffee (695 Railroad Ave); it's a Four Barrel account.  Continue into Berkeley and stop at Local 123 (2049 San Pablo, also 4B), then go into Oakland and stop at Modern Coffee (multi-roaster, 411 13th Street), Awaken Cafe (4B, 1429 Broadway), SubRosa Coffee (4B, 419 40th Street), Barkada Bakery (Scarlet City, 4316 Telegraph), and Bica Coffeehouse (multi-roaster, 5701 College Ave).  While in Oakland, think about Haddon Hill Cafe (4B, 504 Wesley), and of course the Blue Bottle roastery.  Wow, that's a lot of Four Barrel.

Head across the bridge into SF; you know the big names in SF, but check these out as well: Epicenter Cafe (Chromatic, 764 Harrison); Jane (Stumptown, 2123 Fillmore); Cafe Capriccio (Intelligentsia, 2200 Mason).

Head south on 101 and stop at: Grind Coffee Bar (Klatch/Verve, 601 Old County Rd, San Carlos); Back Yard Coffee (Stumptown, 965 Brewster, Redwood City); Fraiche Yogurt (Blue Bottle, 200 Hamilton, Palo Alto); Red Rock Coffee (4B, 201 Castro Street, Mountain View).

In the South Bay: Bitter+Sweet (Sightglass, 20560 Town Center Lane, Cupertino); Chromatic (5237 Stevens Creek Blvd, Santa Clara); Top Nosh (Intelligentsia, 1167 Lincoln Ave, San Jose); B2 Coffee (Verve/Sightglass, 87 North San Pedro, San Jose); Amor Cafe (Water Ave, 110 East San Fernando, San Jose); Cafe Stritch (Chromatic, 374 South 1st, San Jose); Barefoot (1819 South Bascom, Campbell); Amour Patisserie (Blue Bottle, 13 North Santa Cruz, Los Gatos).

Once you've gone over the hill on 17: The Abbey (Chromatic, 350 Mission Street, Santa Cruz), and of course Verve.  There's also a Four Barrel account somewhere on the westside of Santa Cruz, but I'm too lazy to look them up right now, and you've already had too much 4B anyway.

Not much until you get to Santa Barbara, where The French Press (Verve) has two locations.

Now you're in Los Angeles, and hopefully you've used the bathroom at some point since you left Sacramento.  You may know LA better than I do, so I will simply state that the bulk of the shops seem to be clustered in Santa Monica, Venice, and Silver Lake.  Cafe Luxxe in Santa Monica (925 Montana) is a standout IMO, and Espresso Cielo (49th Parallel, 3101 Main Street, Santa Monica) seems interesting, although I haven't been.  Then head into Costa Mesa and check out Portola Coffee Lab (3313 Hyland Ave; perhaps out of your way but worth the stop).  On your way back north, you can head toward the Inland Empire and check out Klatch (go to the Rancho Cucamonga location), and Augie's (113 North 5th Street, Redlands).  Along the 210, you can stop at De Cafe Baristas (Herkimer, 500 North Atlantic Blvd, Monterey Park) and Intelligentsia in Pasadena.

Head north on 99 into the general Fresno area (I know, I know...).  Stop at Cafe Corazon (1306 North Wishon) and Kuppa Joy (Verve/Victrola, 518 Clovis Ave, Clovis).  Finally, in Modesto stop at Preservation Coffee (1030 J Street).

looking for signs in the sky
following ghosts, following visions

http://www.twitter.com/espressophile - the every espresso project
 View Profile Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
cerridwyn
cerridwyn
Posted Mon Aug 12, 2013, 6:06pm

Nice route. I like it. I especially like you mentioning our small but special folk out at Portola. I'm sure what they do is nothing new to you, but check out the craft bar at Theorum or even make reservations for their special service. It's very unique down here and something everyone I know enjoys.

Also the mention of Augies cause their special!

do you game?:
RoyceRuiz

Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 9:05am

espressophile Said:

Not sure if you've done this yet or not.

Here's my suggested route (since it's circular, feel free to run it backwards if you prefer).

You know what's in Sacramento, so I'm not going to comment on that. :-)  Leave Sac on I-5 South and then take 4 West into Pittsburg.  Stop at Steeltown Coffee (695 Railroad Ave); it's a Four Barrel account.  Continue into Berkeley and stop at Local 123 (2049 San Pablo, also 4B), then go into Oakland and stop at Modern Coffee (multi-roaster, 411 13th Street), Awaken Cafe (4B, 1429 Broadway), SubRosa Coffee (4B, 419 40th Street), Barkada Bakery (Scarlet City, 4316 Telegraph), and Bica Coffeehouse (multi-roaster, 5701 College Ave).  While in Oakland, think about Haddon Hill Cafe (4B, 504 Wesley), and of course the Blue Bottle roastery.  Wow, that's a lot of Four Barrel.

Head across the bridge into SF; you know the big names in SF, but check these out as well: Epicenter Cafe (Chromatic, 764 Harrison); Jane (Stumptown, 2123 Fillmore); Cafe Capriccio (Intelligentsia, 2200 Mason).

Head south on 101 and stop at: Grind Coffee Bar (Klatch/Verve, 601 Old County Rd, San Carlos); Back Yard Coffee (Stumptown, 965 Brewster, Redwood City); Fraiche Yogurt (Blue Bottle, 200 Hamilton, Palo Alto); Red Rock Coffee (4B, 201 Castro Street, Mountain View).

In the South Bay: Bitter+Sweet (Sightglass, 20560 Town Center Lane, Cupertino); Chromatic (5237 Stevens Creek Blvd, Santa Clara); Top Nosh (Intelligentsia, 1167 Lincoln Ave, San Jose); B2 Coffee (Verve/Sightglass, 87 North San Pedro, San Jose); Amor Cafe (Water Ave, 110 East San Fernando, San Jose); Cafe Stritch (Chromatic, 374 South 1st, San Jose); Barefoot (1819 South Bascom, Campbell); Amour Patisserie (Blue Bottle, 13 North Santa Cruz, Los Gatos).

Once you've gone over the hill on 17: The Abbey (Chromatic, 350 Mission Street, Santa Cruz), and of course Verve.  There's also a Four Barrel account somewhere on the westside of Santa Cruz, but I'm too lazy to look them up right now, and you've already had too much 4B anyway.

Not much until you get to Santa Barbara, where The French Press (Verve) has two locations.

Now you're in Los Angeles, and hopefully you've used the bathroom at some point since you left Sacramento.  You may know LA better than I do, so I will simply state that the bulk of the shops seem to be clustered in Santa Monica, Venice, and Silver Lake.  Cafe Luxxe in Santa Monica (925 Montana) is a standout IMO, and Espresso Cielo (49th Parallel, 3101 Main Street, Santa Monica) seems interesting, although I haven't been.  Then head into Costa Mesa and check out Portola Coffee Lab (3313 Hyland Ave; perhaps out of your way but worth the stop).  On your way back north, you can head toward the Inland Empire and check out Klatch (go to the Rancho Cucamonga location), and Augie's (113 North 5th Street, Redlands).  Along the 210, you can stop at De Cafe Baristas (Herkimer, 500 North Atlantic Blvd, Monterey Park) and Intelligentsia in Pasadena.

Head north on 99 into the general Fresno area (I know, I know...).  Stop at Cafe Corazon (1306 North Wishon) and Kuppa Joy (Verve/Victrola, 518 Clovis Ave, Clovis).  Finally, in Modesto stop at Preservation Coffee (1030 J Street).

Posted August 12, 2013 link

In addition, when you leave Santa Cruz, take 152 to gilroy and take a small detour north to Morgan Hill and visit Harvest Coffee house.  He roasts with Chromatic at their facility.  Head south on 101.  You must stop at Vertigo Coffee in San Juan Bautista (in house roaster).  From there continue south.  There are a couple of ok places in SLO.  Bello Mundo is good, Kruezberg (Verve) has been disappointing the two times I've been there but its a very cool cafe and has potential so might be worth a stop to see if they have improved.  There are apparently some other good palces near by but I havn't been to any of them.  Here click here  is a link to a thread about the area.  This post covers alot of great places but I thought Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara was too big of a gap with no coffee.
CheapBastid

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: None
Grinder: Infinity - talking myself...
Vac Pot: None
Drip: Mr Coffee
Roaster: None
Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 8:09pm

espressophile Said:

Posted August 12, 2013 link

Also in Santa Barbara is Handlebar Coffee Roasters.
fluke
fluke
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Elegance 2 group,...
Grinder: SJ, RR45, Zip
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: toddy
Roaster: KKTO inspired
Posted Thu Aug 15, 2013, 10:37pm

I just got turned onto the bar at the Acme Coffee Roasting Co in Seaside / Monterey Bay. Easy to miss hole in the wall. 6:30 - 3pm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUwY188LtQg

Don't forget Verve's Roastery also has a bar.  Bronson st, Santa Cruz. 6-6 everyday.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Regional > US West > Coffee houses...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271054029465)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+