Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
consumer product reviews
roasters, accessories & miscellaneous
Digital Scales - Joe Riordan's Review
Posted: February 6, 2011, 9:23am
review rating: 9.0
feedback: (2) comments | read | write
Digital Scales
Where to Buy
Arrow Seattle Coffee Gear
Arrow 1st-line Equipment
 List your business site here.
About "Where to Buy"

More About This Product
Arrow The Digital Scales has 36 Reviews
Arrow The Digital Scales has been rated 9.22 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since November 30, 2001.
Arrow Digital Scales reviews have been viewed 193,581 times (updated hourly).

Quality Reviews
These are some of the best-written reviews for this product, as judged by our members.
Name Ranking
Jerry Kalpin 10.00
Marshall Schmidt 10.00
James Bacci 9.66
Katherine Gingliss 9.44
Bryan Wray 9.25

Previous Review Next Review
Ratings and Stats Overall Rating: 10.0
Product Reviewed: My Weigh Pointscale 150
Manufacturer: Varies Quality: 10
Average Price: Varies Usability: 10
Price Paid: $24.00 Cost vs. Value 10
Where Bought: Old Will Knott Scales Aesthetics 10
Owned for: 1 week Overall 10
Writer's Expertise: I live coffee Would Buy Again: Yes
Similar Items Owned:
Bottom Line: Just the right capacity, resolution and accuracy for weighing beans for a double shot.
Positive Product Points

Resolution to 0.1 gram, accurate, very small, portable, inexpensive, uses AAA batteries

Negative Product Points

Low capacity (150 grams / 5 ounces) so limited uses.

Detailed Commentary

This is a small scale, about 3x5 total.  It's ideal for me to keep near my grinder, and the lid flips closed to keep grinds and dust out when not in use.  The lid is held closed by a magnet, so easy to flip open and closed.  It's also removable to use as a weighing tray since this is a pocket scale you can take anywhere with you.  The weighing platform is approx 2.5 inches square.  Since you are never to exceed the 150 gram capacity, you need to have a small, light bowl for measuring your beans in.  I have a 39 gram stainless bowl that is just right for this purpose.

I've been testing and retesting and weighing all sorts of objects to determine consistency.  I've found it to measure the same about 90% of the time, and the other 10% it is off by 0.1 gram either way.  This is an insignificant amount for my purposes.  It comes with a 100 gram calibration weight.  This is usually right on the money, but occasionally comes up as 99.9 grams.  An Equal packet weighs 1.2 grams almost every time.  Once or twice it has come up as 1.3 grams.  It comes with a little plastic holding tray.  This usually weighs 7.9 grams but sometimes comes up as 8.0 grams.  I think you get the idea.

Since I've been using this, my shots have been more consistent then ever.  Now I am MUCH more able to tell the difference with slight grind or tamping changes.

Buying Experience

I used the oldwillknottscales.com website.  I was looking at many 60 to 75 dollar scales that looked right for me.  I used the chat function to talk to a salesperson, and told them that I needed a scale for espresso beans, so accuracy was important, I wanted 0.1 gram resolution, and small capacity.  They said "hold on" then came back a couple minutes later and recommended this $24 scale which was about a third the price of the scales I was looking at.  I got the shipping notice email within about an hour of ordering and it showed up 2 or 3 days later.  Shipping cost was about $8.

Three Month Followup

Still love it.  I have amazing consistency with every shot since I started using this, except of course, with a new batch of coffee, but then I know it's the coffee that changed so I can make a minor grind adjustment and I'm all set.

One Year Followup

Not using this would be a mistake. Now I even use it for pots of drip.

Previous Review Next Review
Write a Review for this Product
review rating: 9.0
Posted: February 6, 2011, 9:23am
feedback: (2) comments | read | write
Login Password
forgot pw | signup
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2015 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.20570898056)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+