Ascaso Steel - Gus Janeway's Review
Posted: March 28, 2008, 1:10am
Ascaso Steel Espresso Line

Arrow The Ascaso Steel has 20 Reviews
Arrow The Ascaso Steel has been rated 8.13 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 19, 2005.
Arrow Ascaso Steel reviews have been viewed 146,295 times (updated hourly).

Leszek Nowosielski 9.50

Product Reviewed: Steel Duo Prof
Manufacturer: Ascaso Quality: 8
Where Bought: Kitchen universe Aesthetics 9
Similar Items Owned: Kitchenaid Proline Espresso
Bottom Line: Elegant, quiet, fast machine delivering magnificent espresso worthy of a much higher price tag.

Absolutely delicious, beautiful, aromatic crema-rich espresso.
Perfect froth inspires venturing into "latte art"
Two-minute startup and stable temperature.
Simultaneous brewing and steaming.
Did I mention the quality of the espresso?
Very nice to look at, without being flashy.
Separate hot water dispenser on a $900 machine - who else has it?
Low water switch saves worry.
Low profile actually permits mugs on warming tray, and still fits below cabinets.
Capacious drip tray, easy to remove without disturbing the brewing process.
Simplicity of design

Instruction manual
Slightly cheap finish on switches
Useless plastic tamper, replace ASAP
No steaming pitcher or shot glasses included

I did a ridiculous amount of research before buying, and ventured into Ascaso territory despite the complete lack of customer reviews for this product. The CoffeeGeek "first look" review was extremely helpful, however. I had been using a Kitchenaid Proline, because it had dual boilers and allowed no wait time between brewing and steaming, and it was red and beautiful. The Ascaso goes several steps better than this, for the same money, by actually allowing simultaneous brewing and steaming (with no loss of power - there are two pumps), and by building a wonderful little hot water dispenser in right next to the group head.

But features, ease of use, understated beauty, and all else aside, what really matters is that this little machine has the heart of a professional rig, producing the best-tasting espresso I've had outside of a Portland Stumptown cafe. I'm sure there are machines out there that do it as well, or even incrementally slightly better, but from my research most of them have boilers that take 15 minutes to warm up (Who can wait that long in the morning?) and are counter-space hogging, power-hungry behemoths.

Don't be fooled by the Ascaso's relatively quiet performance. Lots of noise, a too-powerful pump, and agressive steam power do not, in my experience, translate into great coffee. This machine gets the job done in a very civilized, elegant, and yes, very fast, manner. A cappucino is on the table for my wife in less than five minutes from the first bleary pass-by punch of the "on" switch (2 minute warmup, 30 second rinse of portafilter, a blast of water from the dispenser to heat the cup, then grind, dose, tamp, and brew - the 25 seconds to pull a shot is just the right amount of time to froth 8 oz of milk, so nothing is sitting around cooling off - then you're off and drinking). My own americano takes another minute or so. I'm almost sad when the process is over.

I was so impressed by my first weeks with the Steel Duo that, even though i was getting good results with my Solis maestro grinder, i also sprang for an Ascaso flat-burr doser grinder with infinite grind control. That was the icing on the cake. Now my espresso (first one of the morning to last) is even more consistent, reliable and delicious. My wife, who was sad to see the Kitchenaid's beautiful red chassis leave the kitchen counter, was quickly swayed by the quality of her morning coffee from the Ascaso.

The only thing I am unsure about is whether Ascaso will have decent customer service if/when i need it. The instruction manual is not promising. One thing about Kitchenaid - their customer service is unbeatable. Unfortunately this translated to them sending me a new machine every 18 months when the Proline would reach an unacceptable level of leakiness.

I look forward to revisiting this review when I've run the ascaso through its paces for a full year.

Kitchen universe was the only place where I could find the Duo Prof version of the Ascaso Steel, so i didn't have much choice of vendors. They treated me right and got the machine here, no problem, and no billing shenanigans.
i bought the Ascaso grinder from 1st-Line Equipment. That went smoothly as well.

Posted: March 28, 2008, 1:10am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.186009883881)