Brasilia Club - Troy Silverskin's Review
Posted: January 29, 2006, 6:11pm
Brasilia Club

Arrow The Brasilia Club has 5 Reviews
Arrow The Brasilia Club has been rated 8.12 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since November 4, 2003.
Arrow Brasilia Club reviews have been viewed 48,202 times (updated hourly).

Jason Wilson 7.00
Duncan Manderson 6.66
Troy Silverskin 6.00
Jamie Foster 1.33
Jason Mickin 0.00

Manufacturer: Rossi Quality: 7
Where Bought: second-hand Aesthetics 7
Similar Items Owned: Brasilia Lady
Bottom Line: Great machine for its class, produces fine espresso and steams milk well if you have the older model.

Commercial group and portafilter, solid overall construction, powerful steam producer, brass boiler, pressure release valve, unique styling, pod compatible.
Makes awesome espresso comparable with commercial machines.

Small drip tray, relatively small water resovoir, mine came fitted with a paranello? steam tip.

Firstly, I was looking for a small domestic machine that could make me an espresso drink comparable to that of my local cafe in my own home.
After using for six tedious months a Sunbeam Cafe crema, which utilised the presurized portafilter; To save me from insanity  I started to look for a machine that would fill the space between domestic rubbish(the sunbeam ) and a small commercial.
Thats when I came across the odd looking, but well spec'ed Brasilia club.
The machine  had alot of things in its favour to deliver the aforementioned.
I was very impressed with the portafilter first off, its heavy and feels like the real deal( well it is). So this is a good start, and the nice shiny protruding grouphead caught my eye.
Secondly my last machine couldn't make a shot of espresso to save itself even though it had a paleish crema every time it wasn't much more than flavourless  percolated coffee. This machine can deliver the good stuff almost every time.
The steam wand was the only real issue for me, fitted with a "steam enhancing device" I just couldn't get my head around it, even as an experienced barista. Apparently only the newer model has this fitted and I just have no clue as to why they would ruin such a good machine by adding it.
To solve this issue I have now moved over to using a Brasilia lady instead which is basically the same machine with different aesthetics(and a better steam tip).
This machine is then more suited to the straight espresso drinker, who likes the occassional milk drink.

Bought privately of a lovely couple who had upgraded to a Vibiemme Domobar super.

Having now moved on from the single boiler Brasilia in favour of a larger heat exchanger, I would still not hesitate to recomend this machine as a  first espresso machine.  You will likely want to upgrade from this machine at some point too,  but for the price and quality of build it should last you many years, especially if you mainly drink straight espresso.
These machines turn up for sale second hand relatively frequently and they are well worth the money spent on servicing if you can get the machine cheap enough.
Strangely as fate would have it , I ended up  upgrading to a Vibiemme Domobar super just like the people who sold me the Brasilia in the first place, but I'm glad I went the way I did because you really appreciate the upgrade when you are ready and its a great learning experience trying to get the best from what you have.

Posted: January 29, 2006, 6:11pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.194246053696)