Breville 800ESXL - Ben Moore's Review
Posted: December 31, 2007, 8:09pm
Breville Espresso 800ESXL

Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has 66 Reviews
Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has been rated 7.95 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 2, 2006.
Arrow Breville 800ESXL reviews have been viewed 514,128 times (updated hourly).

Steve Koellhoffer 10.00

Product Reviewed: Breville 800ESXL
Manufacturer: Breville (Chinese origin) Quality: 4
Where Bought: Williams Sonoma Aesthetics 9
Writer's Expertise: I live coffee Would Buy Again: No
Similar Items Owned: Proteo Barista (now known as Starbucks Barista)
Bottom Line: This machine really looks and feels like a quality piece of equipment. This is why I'm so sad that it hasn't lived up to my expectations.

This is a fantastic looking machine. It's very steady on the counter top due to its weight. Nice portafilter.  Retractable power cord. Easy to fill from either the front or top of the machine. Solid feel to the controls. Heats up quickly.

Inconsistent pulls. Broke down after 1 year, 9 months use. Uses a ton of water, which quickly fills the drip tray.

I've owned this machine for 1 year and 9 months. I use it several times a day as I have an espresso habit. Unfortunately, yesterday I pushed the power button to turn the machine on and nothing happened. The machine is dead. I'm guessing that it's the switch itself but, I'm not an electrician or espresso machine repair person. I called Breville and their only suggestion was to mail it to them for a non-warranty repair.

I have had extreme difficulties pulling consistent shots with this machine. I have fiddled with grind, tamp pressure, quantity of coffee......... It simply won't allow me to pull 2, back to back, perfect shots. If you tamp the coffee too hard or the grind is just a little too fine, the machine will fill the basket with water but not extract. This leaves you with a basket that is filled with hot water that is under pressure. Not safe.
Honestly, I wish my Proteo Barista had the external build quality, looks and feel of the Breville but pulls shots as it does now. The Proteo pulls beautiful shots time after time and has been a flawless machine for the last 10 years.

I don't care for the soaking wet coffee in the basket after you finish your pull. It makes for a sloppy mess when knocking out the spent coffee. A minor issue is that there is a small 'gate' at the back of the drip tray which holds the little "FULL" tab. When the drip tray is full of water (which happens frequently due to the unquenchable thirst of this machine), the little tab flips up telling you it's time to dump it out. Well, the gate is attached with two tabs which make it a pain to remove. If you don't remove the gate, slime will grow behind it from the constantly wet environment.

I bought mine from Williams Sonoma because I had a gift certificate.

Well, the machine sat at the approved (and suggested) Breville repair shop for 2 months before they decided to get back to me. Grrr.
They indicated that the problem is the boiler control panel and it will cost me $150.00 + shipping to get it repaired. So, now I have a wonderful doorstop.

Instead of repairing the irksome machine, I decided to put the money towards a new La Spaziale (S1 Mini Vivaldi II). I couldn't be more happy with the new machine! I never realized what a bad barista I was until I got the new machine. The Spaz is taking me to a whole new level of espresso!

If anyone needs a parts machine, shoot me a note.

Posted: December 31, 2007, 8:09pm
Italian Biscotti Cookies
Premium artisan quality Italian Biscotti cookies. Many flavors!
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.197491884232)