Breville 800ESXL - Joe Can's Review
Posted: April 8, 2010, 10:54am
Breville Espresso 800ESXL

Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has 66 Reviews
Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has been rated 7.95 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 2, 2006.
Arrow Breville 800ESXL reviews have been viewed 538,838 times (updated hourly).

Steve Koellhoffer 10.00

Product Reviewed: Espresso 800ESXL
Manufacturer: Breville (Chinese origin) Quality: 9
Where Bought: Costco Aesthetics 10
Similar Items Owned: some plastic jobbie
Bottom Line: NEW BOTTOM LINE after 6 months: Look for a better machine and pay a little more...

- Looks great.
- Pulling great shots after a couple days of learning.
- Hot water option means I can store the  kettle off of the counter too for the occasional tea.
- Large water tank. easy to refill from the front.

- Somewhat noisy on startup and during operation.  Nothing really loud, just not silent.

We saw this in the show room at Costco and were immediately impressed by the looks.  I jotted down the model info and checked out the reviews on coffee geek at home.  An 8.0 with 50+ reviews.  Well, next time at the store we grabbed one.

I won't re-hash the +/- from above, but it did take us about 20+ shots over the course of a few days to get the best tasting coffee we've ever had (We're total noobies). What more could you ask for?  I myself pack the double basket hard and pull a double now and just add a spot of the white stuff.  My wife likes a single with lots hot steamy frothy milk (which this unit does very nicely).

Lots of crema (other reviewers call this fake crema due to the included, pinhole pressurized basket).  There is mention of a Krups basket that does better and you don't get clogging (I haven't experience any clogging yet, btw.).  I ordered one too, just to try out since it is so cheap (see below).

My good friend down the street has a Saeco Classico, which I hope to borrow, or at least try with my beans for comparison, just to see what kind of difference there is. The Saeco is a better rated machine here at Coffee Geek.

The tamper is kind of cheesy, so I'll be looking for a new one, but the frothing jug that comes with the unit is tops and sharp.

TIP FOR CANUCKS!:
Get the Krups Basket (part # 0907163) from:

Groupe SEB Canada Inc. (Krups supplier in Canada): 1(800) 418-3325

Part cost is $7.30 + 5.99 shipping + taxes

See you in a few months with a follow up.  Keep on pulling...

Bought from Costco.  This is a safe bet in Canada as we figured the price was right and Costco Canada has no stated return time limit (90 days for electronics, satisfaction guaranteed for everything else) , so if this was a bust after putting it through its paces, we'd just take it back.

Okay, really a 6 month followup.  This machine is all about getting the right grind.  Once you hit it, it is a very acceptable machine for the price....but that is it.  It is worth what I paid.  I like my mini french press at work more though from a coffee taste  point of view.

At least it looks great on the counter...Shouldn't have any trouble selling it when I get the itch to move on. Which will be soon.

Posted: April 8, 2010, 10:54am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.19477391243)