Breville 800ESXL - Ken Branstetter's Review
Breville Espresso 800ESXL
Arrow Amazon

Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has 66 Reviews
Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has been rated 7.95 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 2, 2006.
Arrow Breville 800ESXL reviews have been viewed 548,014 times (updated hourly).

Steve Koellhoffer 10.00
H H 10.00
Pat D'Arcy 9.50
Ben Moore 9.00
L Blumen 9.00

Product Reviewed: 800sxl
Manufacturer: Breville (Chinese origin) Quality: 9
Where Bought: Bed Bath Beyond Aesthetics 10
Bottom Line: great starter machine that looks nice, but takes some patience to master.

Great looking machine, cleans up nicely, working well after one year

stock baskets choke easily, lots of vibration so cannot store cups on the "warmer"

This is a great starter machine.  It makes nice hot shots quickly.  the main problem as many have noted, is that the stock basket clogs very easily with standard espresso grind.  You can still get good shots with a more coarse grind, but the puck is sloppy and wet and makes cleaning the grouphead a chore.  The froth wand is easy to use, I have never tried the little tube that came with it, just ditched that thing right off.

I usually make a "long black", but will occasionally make lattes.

To get great shots, I replaced the basket with a Krupps basket bought on seattlecoffeegear, then I use my Peugeot hand grinder to make the beans a shade more coarse than espresso, but a shade more fine than sand.  With this set up I have found that a lighter tamp pressure, much less than the usual 25-30lbs makes a nice tamp, pulls a great shot in about 15-20 seconds, with a really nice crema.  The bonus is that the puck is relatively dry and the grouphead is much easier to clean.

It only took me about 9 months to figure this all out, and really came together only after I bought my hand grinder.

standard

Posted: March 30, 2011, 6:31am
SR500 Home Coffee Roaster
Ships with five pounds of beans you get to choose.
coffeeproject.com
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.194159984589)