Breville 800ESXL - H H's Review
Posted: March 12, 2010, 11:45am
Breville Espresso 800ESXL

Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has 66 Reviews
Arrow The Breville 800ESXL has been rated 7.95 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since October 2, 2006.
Arrow Breville 800ESXL reviews have been viewed 545,422 times (updated hourly).

Steve Koellhoffer 10.00

Manufacturer: Breville (Chinese origin) Quality: 5
Where Bought: Buy.com Aesthetics 10
Writer's Expertise: Just starting Would Buy Again: No
Similar Items Owned: Gaggia Classic, Gaggia MDF
Bottom Line: Not for someone wanting a hobby, or wanting good shots, but still ok in its own way....

It looks really nice
Steams ok
Excellent steam wand
Breville sent me free nonpressurized portafilters without any        questions asked

Temp stability within the shot is horrible (based on my testing)

There is no way to adjust pressure, which appeared to be very high

The portafilter is tiny.

I spent alot of time trying to justify the purchase. It is a beautiful machine and I was given it as a gift and came with a knoxbox...so I wanted to love it. It also sold for like 2.5X as much as Wiliiams and Sonoma, so I had high expectations.

At first I had to get a grinder, I picked up a MDF. I found that with the Breville a small change in grind would make a huge change in flow. With my Gaggia small changes make small changes in flow. This is because the Classic has lower pressure and as such is less affected by the change in grinder, allowing me more room to find the sweet spot with my beans. (The Pressure on the Breville is set for ESE Pods, which, as I understand it, require significantly higher pressure than the generally desired 9bars for fresh ground coffee.)

After picking up the grinder, I had to find nonpressurized portafilters. I called Breville and they sent both a single and a double for free no shipping no questions asked. Excellent.

It still tasted terrible. Each shot made my mouth pucker in disgust. I could get some decent crema, but the flavor was horrible. My Classic does much better, though I am still not great.

I ran a battery of tests on a variety of days and times. I let the machine heat up for over 30 minutes (though it wasnt necessary due to the nature of the heating element.)

On using a styrofoam cup test I noticed drops in temperature, it would generally go from about 190-170  during a shot, sometimes starting at 200.

I then found another testing that I liked, but because of the quanity of water involved may be inaccurate. I took several towels, folded them under the group and placed a preheated instant read thermometer on top of them. I turned on the brew function and I found that it pulled at 200 at first, it quickly dropped to 190 and would last for about 5 seconds in that range.

Then it would start to drop, and a little before 20 seconds  would be from 150-160. Then it would start to rise a little and drop off again before getting to 30 seconds.

Now, this is not the most accurate test, but at least the towels provide some resistance to the flow of the water. My Classic does MUCH better on both tests.

This is important because anything less than 180 degrees will certainly result in a sour extraction, hence the mouth puckeringly horrible shots.

To make up for it, the Breville has a beautiful steam wand. I found that for the first 60 seconds it produced a very wet steam, producing something along the lines of 2-3 oz of water. After 60 seconds it seemed to kick up a notch and would produce less "water" in the same amount of time. I gave it 60 seconds to run, then turned it off, put it in my milk, and quickly turned it on. I was not dissapointed with the milk, and with sugar, syrup or other additions then the Breville would be ok for someone not demanding too much from his/her espresso.

I do not recommend the Breville. Search for a used Classic, Sylvia, Francis with brass boiler or other-I picked up a classic for 150 and have not been dissapointed.

Excellent.

Posted: March 12, 2010, 11:45am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.189340114594)