Breville BES-820XL - Kristie Gill's Review
Posted: April 9, 2010, 5:28am
Breville BES-820XL

Arrow The Breville BES-820XL has 6 Reviews
Arrow The Breville BES-820XL has been rated 6.80 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since January 29, 2011.
Arrow Breville BES-820XL reviews have been viewed 34,344 times (updated hourly).

Jenny S 9.00
Joe Delphi 6.50
Kristie Gill 2.00
Davin Gegolick 2.00
Fred Nile 0.00

Manufacturer: Breville Quality: 10
Where Bought: Williams Sonoma Aesthetics 10
Bottom Line: Phenomenal for the first 18+ months but now showing signs of wearing out.

This machine does what I want it to do.  There are days I have small issues but I've figured all those issues out and can trouble shoot so that I consistently get exactly what I want.  It can be programmed or used manually.  AND, it looks fab on my counter top!  Bonus!

It's a bit big and cleaning the frother is a pain but none of that is enough to bother me after the last machine debacle I had.

I have a slightly higher model than has been reviewed here.  Mine has an instant hot water spout which I never use.  I wanted this one, however, because it has the programmable shots and it can also be used manually.  The one without the hot water you had to turn on, watch and turn off manually.  I make my espresso every morning as I get my three kids ready to head out to school.  I put coffee in the filter and turn it on.  Then I'm off checking email or unloading the dishwasher.  Likewise, when I come back to froth the milk, I just stick the cup on and let her rip.  I like my milk 180 degrees so it takes awhile to get there but no matter, my hands are free to do other things.

One of the great features of this machine is the huge water tank with the window so you can see the water level.  The serious coffee snobs would never use yesterday's water but for me, anything that saves me time and hassle is great.  I can go 5 days without refilling the tank or emptying the tray.  Every five days I spend an extra ten minutes really cleaning the machine up.  I am just about ready to do my first descaling.  Maybe on the weekend!

After reading reviews on this site and being very disappointed in my Nespresso, I was really afraid to buy this machine.  But I have to say I am really happy with it and it was worth the money.

Williams Sonoma is always great.  They spent tons of time with me.  The women there are all huge Nespresso fans but once I decided on Breville, they helped me figure everything out and they have a fantastic return poilcy - for any reason within 90 days.

I absolutely love this espresso machine.  There have been no new surprises or disappointments.  I take good care of it and it is always there and ready to give me a great coffee.  I highly recommend this machine.

I have now had this machine for 18 months.  It's starting to show signs of weakness and I'm very disappointed.  I had used the programmable coffee pour feature and set my ideal coffee pour.  So I use that button at least once a day although we have another home so I'm not even here 365 days a year - more like 210 days.  Anyway, that button is worn out.  Not good.  And even though I regularly decalcify the machine, I'm starting to have issues with the mild frother.  It just isn't getting the milk hot about once a week.  For the amount of money I spent, I would have like to see the machine go problem free for a good three years.  I hope to find a way to have it repaired and will call Williams Sonoma.  My experience with them has always been really positive so hopefully they'll stand by the product.

Posted: April 9, 2010, 5:28am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.189481019974)