Breville Cafe Roma - Jeff H's Review
Posted: December 1, 2009, 3:54pm
Breville Cafe Roma ESP8XL

Arrow The Breville Cafe Roma has 41 Reviews
Arrow The Breville Cafe Roma has been rated 7.19 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since April 5, 2006.
Arrow Breville Cafe Roma reviews have been viewed 280,155 times (updated hourly).

Ben Egger 10.00
Charles Gauthier 10.00
Don Ferron 9.00
Marc Tischler 8.50
Dean W 8.33

Manufacturer: Breville Quality: 8
Where Bought: Amazon Aesthetics 9
Similar Items Owned: Krups Gusto, Cuisinart EM-100
Bottom Line: Best below $200 dollar pressurized filter machine

1) Good Value for the money.
2) Has very pleasing look.
3) Makes good coffee

1) Pressurized portafilter prevents making of espresso with real crema.  Pressurization is done via filter basket.

I bought this machine to be used in my office.  For the past three month, I typically pull 2-3 shots a day.  It has pressurized proafilter.  Hence, what you get is not truly espresso.  However, with good grind and beans, you can get good shot of coffee with complex aroma/flavor; not bitter or sour.  It certainly can accomplish better shot than any of cafe-want-a-be chain you can name.

I believe the pressurized filter basket is 49mm.  I Don't know whether pre-millennium P68 filter basket will fit this model or not.

I typically allow 10~15 minutes of heating and run hot water through before starting.  Group head seems to keep portafilter reasonably warm; comparing to other low end machines that I know.  Resulting puck is wet with grind bath in the liquid.  However, the puck stay intact and packed in the filter basket; not soupy like some other pressurized machine I used before.  With the right grind and beans, I can pull shots that are not bitter or sour and has reasonable depth of flavor.  The foamy stuff that looks like crema, does carry some aroma and flavor substance.  It's as close to real espresso as I can get so far without leaving my office.

For less than $150 dollar and no access to kitchen, it makes great flavorful aromatic 2oz caffeinated beverage twice a day reliably thus far.

Typical wonderful purchasing experience with Amazon.  I found it, I clicked it, it shows up couple days later.

Posted: December 1, 2009, 3:54pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.191009998322)