Breville Cafe Roma - Sean Sweet's Review
Posted: September 18, 2007, 4:01pm
Breville Cafe Roma ESP8XL

Arrow The Breville Cafe Roma has 41 Reviews
Arrow The Breville Cafe Roma has been rated 7.19 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since April 5, 2006.
Arrow Breville Cafe Roma reviews have been viewed 283,337 times (updated hourly).

Ben Egger 10.00
Charles Gauthier 10.00
Don Ferron 9.00
Marc Tischler 8.50
Dean W 8.33

Manufacturer: Breville Quality: 6
Where Bought: London Drugs Aesthetics 7
Bottom Line: Minimal fuss/expertise results in truly great shots and lattes. Tip: froth your milk before pulling shot.

- Well built: has not worn at all after 1.5 years of daily use.

- Price/value is biggest plus.  With a $100 Gaggia burr grinder, I am getting solid results nearly 100% of the time.

- Size: fits just under my counter cabinets!

1. It's a thermoblock.  Texturizing milk first and pulling one double shot works well.  Trying to froth another pitcher soon after doesn't work.
  2. The PF has a cheater in it to 'enhance' crema.  It works, but does not train one to grind and tamp well - perfect for a beginner, but a person with intermediate or above skills will get bored.
  3. Steam wand does not move.  It also is on/off only - cannot dial in the amount of steam you want released.
  4. The water level is hard to view - dark.

A decent post-novice machine that will not break the bank.  Brevelle makes decent equipment (I also have their slow cooker) and love the brushed metal look & feel.

Some reviewers are saying 'save up and get something better,' but the next level up in value and noticeably better results is at 3 or 4 times the price (remember, the better the espresso machine, the more you'll have to pay for a grinder).  A friend of mine has the Brevelle with both boiler and thermoblock (the Ikon?), and he has to be much fussier with grinding & tamping.

I would keep this machine 5 years if I could do back to back double shots and milk foaming at the same level as doing only one double with milk.  This is the biggest disappointment.
I will pony up to a better set up within 12 months, but no regrets or major suffering while I wait!

Note: To clarify, I say I will not buy again, because it is a transition machine for me (i.e. I'll be going in the direction of a major boiler machine like the Silvia for next purchase).  If I was, again, looking at options 18 months ago, when I bought the Brevelle, I WOULD buy it again.

London Drugs is easy.  Return in 15 days, no questions asked.  I did not approach their staff with questions (expected them to not be knowledgeable).

Posted: September 18, 2007, 4:01pm
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.192408084869)