Breville Cafe Roma - Chris Butcher's Review
Posted: March 20, 2011, 3:22am
Breville Cafe Roma ESP8XL

Arrow The Breville Cafe Roma has 41 Reviews
Arrow The Breville Cafe Roma has been rated 7.19 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since April 5, 2006.
Arrow Breville Cafe Roma reviews have been viewed 278,535 times (updated hourly).

Ben Egger 10.00
Charles Gauthier 10.00
Don Ferron 9.00
Marc Tischler 8.50
Dean W 8.33

Manufacturer: Breville Quality: 7
Where Bought: Trademe Aesthetics 6
Writer's Expertise: I live coffee Would Buy Again: No
Bottom Line: Great first machine, definitely buy secondhand, makes a nice coffee

I have the stainless steel version (as there was a cheaper version with plastic on the housing too), and it looks nice, if not a bit small.

The system for holding the basket into the group handle is poor. You have to slide this plastic thing over it when you want to knock the grinds out.
The drip tray could hold more.
Only a thermoblock machine.

This is a very popular machine in New Zealand, and the new price is such that many people seem to get it for wedding presents. I purchased my one secondhand from a couple that received it at thier wedding, but then only used it a few times.  Great condition secondhand ones are in the $US40 - 60 range.

I use it for milk coffees, so cannot comment on the espresso performance. I also use a Mazzer Super Jolly grinder with it, and often with home roasted beans or store roasted Monmouth beans from Covent Garden in London. Add to this I use full 4% fat organic milk ... definitely the Roma is the weak point in the chain, but still I get great coffee.

This machine is small, and the steam production is not amazing. Best to let it run a little steaming into a spare cup first. I use a Jura C5 for steaming at work, and it is still a thermoblock, but produces much much better steam.

As a first machine, a secondhand Cafe Roma is ideal (a secondhand Gagia Classic would be better, but considerably more expensive). The only reason I wouldnt buy another, is because after this, if you used it regularly, you'd only want to replace it with a bigger machine (ideally boiler based).

My machine must be 5 years old now, and so far it has functioned perfectly.

Posted: March 20, 2011, 3:22am
Don't suffer bad espresso
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.184692144394)