Breville Ikon - Mark Barber's Review
Posted: April 14, 2008, 5:04am
Breville Ikon Espresso BES400XL

Arrow The Breville Ikon has 7 Reviews
Arrow The Breville Ikon has been rated 7.09 overall by our member reviewers
Arrow This product has been in our review database since June 29, 2007.
Arrow Breville Ikon reviews have been viewed 75,707 times (updated hourly).

Mark Barber 9.00
Ray Taylor 7.50
Rob Gillette 7.33
Michael Rankin 7.00
Mario Béland 6.00

Manufacturer: Breville (Chinese origin) Quality: 5
Where Bought: Williams-Sonoma Aesthetics 10
Bottom Line: I can't recommend this machine to anyone who is seriously interested in pulling good espresso shots.

Aesthetic appeal; this machine has it.
Drip Tray

Pressurized portafilter baskets
Small, irregular portafilter size (51mm)
Tamper/Scoop combo
Breville Customer Service
Inconsistent pump
Sloppy wet pucks (with the pressurized filter)

I love the look of this machine, but have been endlessly frustrated with its performance.

In short, here's the problem. Either the espresso pours but blonds very quickly or it doesn't pour at all. I don't come to this conclusion lightly. Some might try to explain that I ground too fine or tamped too hard, or didn't grind fine enough or didn't tamp enough, but this isn't so. I've been through the range of variables and without fail, one of these two possibilities obtains. I've had other coffeegeek friends try to pull shots with similar results.

I think that most of the problem here comes down to the pump. It is extremely variable and very tempermental. After filling the portafilter and temping, you place the portafilter into the group head. Then, press the button and cross your fingers. Inevitably, the sound the pump makes will fluctuate a great deal, sometimes calming to a soft hum at which point, no espresso pours. At this point, the only option is to stop the machine and remove the portafilter to dump the grinds at which point you end up with the awful "sneeze" that shoots nasty wet grounds all over the pretty machine. You could avoid this step by waiting a few minutes, but who has time to do that when you're trying to make a drink. Especially if you've already steamed milk for a latte or cappuccino.

I hope, at this point, you're getting the sense of how frustrating this endeavor can be. That accounts for a taste of the lows of the machine, which really are quite low.

On a better note, the steam wand on this machine is decent. With the right technique, it is capable of producing a proper microfoam. It can take a bit long to steam the milk, so I've gravitated towards the Steam first, pull shots later.

Don't be sucked in by the pretty look. For $299, I'd recommend trying to find an extra hundred dollars and find a used Miss Silvia, for $199, I'd recommend looking at one of the cheaper Gaggia machines, you'll be much happier.

Williams-Sonoma is a great company. If you buy from them and have problems with your purchase, they will fix it, guaranteed.

Breville has a terrible customer service department. I emailed them asking about the non-pressurized basket, only to be told that the Ikon couldn't be used with any other basket. Now, I don't mind them saying "we don't recommend it", but that it couldn't be done? Either they don't know what they are talking about or they are lying. Neither is good. Breville makes some pretty stuff, but this experience makes me wary of the quality.

Posted: April 14, 2008, 5:04am
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.194107055664)